Hornby TT120

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel2

Hornby TT120

Post by Kestrel2 »

Unless I've missed it, I can't see any comments about Hornby's new TT120. Has anyone taken the plunge? Short of having a 'Jolly Boys' Outing' to Margate', I don't like the idea of not being able to see what I'm buying as it's only available from Hornby.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby TT120

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Comments, predictions, theories and images/reviews of the little so far in existence appear ad nauseam on RMWeb. Do we all want to fill up space on this website with repeat coverage of this controversial subject?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I fully agree, starting this will end up going down the rabbit hole.
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

There are TT120 rabbits???

WHERE CAN I GET SOME?!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Very shy creatures, you may just have to burrow around a bit. A novel idea would be trying Watership Down.
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

The way Hornby's prices have been going recently, I expect they'll be more than a 'fiver'... :wink:
Kestrel2

Post by Kestrel2 »

I assume the answer to a perfectly innocent question is 'no'. Guess i'll have to go to RMWeb.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Although the question may have been innocent enough, I imagine that you can understand the reason for asking, in response, whether it would really be a good idea to risk inviting a repetition of a very lengthy circular discussion / argument on here. I might be wrong - I often am. Contributors to this forum may all be sufficiently mature and restrained to limit the discussion.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Pebbles wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:06 pm Very shy creatures, you may just have to burrow around a bit. A novel idea would be trying Watership Down.
Watership Down is one of the books I really like. It gets re-read about every five years or so.
(I have never seen films or animations and do not want to.)

I must point out however that the railway in the book is not of the LNER or it's antecedents.
I haven't checked in detail but I presume it would have been LSWR/Southern but by the time of the book it would have been the Southern Region of BR.

Rabbits round here (Durham) are not usually shy at all, although I haven't seen any this year yet.

In reply to Falcon's original post, I agree with Atlantic 3279's sentiments. There are 'hrair' discussions (if discussions they can be called) on the 'other side'.
Seagull
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Watership Down, read the book, watched the film, eaten the pie... :D

TT120 not interested, I'm sticking with OO.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I had never heard of TT120 until I saw this thread, so I thought I would have a look elsewhere.

Hornby have certainly gone big on this, but as there were over 200 pages of RMweb 'discussion' I gave up on page 1.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The Ignore button pressed on RM Web on page 1 .

I do wonder if this is a very sad and desperate attempt by Hornby, to corner the TT 120 market in one big swoop and make loads of cash . The problem with that ploy is they have is how many will or even want to buy TT 120 now or at any point in the future. Weird scale somewhere between OO and N gauge with only them making anything other than Peco making some track. Hornby therfore will dictate the prices,and they wont ever be cheap, unless of course its goes to the wall and they then sell it all off. Remember the short lived Hornby Live Steam in OO saga .

Why did they igmore normal TT which they dumped in the 1960's as no one wanted it then.

Hornby claim its aimed at new comers to Model Railways and people who live in small houses . Hornby think that all people in that category will buy want to buy TT 120 :shock: .

I wonder where that information has come from, do Hornby ?? !!.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

strang steel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:23 pm Hornby have certainly gone big on this, but as there were over 200 pages of RMweb 'discussion' I gave up on page 1.
Actually Hornby have 'gone small', indeed 'gone smaller' in scale/size than the original Tri-ang TT range. The relevance to the LNER are the inevitable models of classes A1 and A3, including Flying Scotsman, and A4s, including Mallard, in several era and livery variations but without any LNER coaching stock to accompany them. Sold only direct through the Hornby website, at prices much greater that until very recently used to be charged for the OO equivalents.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Wait until someone makes some models or creates a layout with it relevant to LNER territory. It's just another scale, good and interesting modelling is independent of scale.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

My only thought looking through the online TT120 shop, is that much of the available rolling stock is from 40-60 years ago. There are a few class 66 diesels, but no modern bogie wagons for them to pull.

My idea of 'newcomers' might be railway inspired school-age children, such as my grandson; but there seems to be very little scope for him to copy what he sees on his visits to the current railway.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/