Charlie's Chop Shop

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

charlie_c67
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Charlie's Chop Shop

Post by charlie_c67 »

So, finally bitten the bullet and decided to start my own thread on here to pick the brains of the experts here. First a few warnings.

Initially, this thread will be the tarting up of R-t-R models with things like adding the detail packs and a crew etc. I then hope to correct things such as Bachmann's 8K and 9J to their correct GCR appearance working up to hopefully doing justice to Paul Sterling of this parish's 3d prints. It's been a while since I've done anything like this so please forgive me if this takes time.

Secondly, I am dyslexic so if I ask a question I can't just read text and picture what it means when it comes to differences. Please, where possible, include pictures/diagrams etc, or point me in the direction of some so I can see the physical differences when appropriate. This may also need time so more patience will be required I'm afraid!

Finally, I will not be able to do all the amazing conversions I see on here, so if I don't make all the changes you suggest, please don't be offended, it's more a case of I can't or the practicality for me rather than ignoring your advice.

So, my first question. I have managed to acquire three of Graham Farish's Teak Suburban coaches from Fleabay. Are they a representation of any real life prototype or are they just a generic model like the like some other companies coaches of the time?

Thanks in advance.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Charlie's Chop Shop

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

We all had to start somewhere...

In many cases, a picture saves a thousand words, although words are sometimes far easier to provide than a picture, but most of us do at least try to be helpful if asked in a reasonable way. Perfect results from modelling sometimes (in my view) count for less than the fact that somebody actually made a decent attempt, rather than expecting a manufacturer to provide.

To the best of my knowledge, the old Farish suburbans are strictly generic.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Welcome to the forum.

As Graeme says I believe they are genetic.
Hornby did both Gresley and Thompson non vestibule carriages, both are very good.
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

charlie_c67 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:25 am Are they a representation of any real life prototype or are they just a generic model like the like some other companies coaches of the time?
I think they are generic, however interestingly enough one was the subject of my first attempt to make something like a real prototype from a generic coach.
GCR Coach2.jpg
I brought this coach before realising it was far too long to be a Gresley non-corridor so I was fishing round for any LNER suburban that was about 55' in length and had 9 compartments. Turns out the GCR built some composites to 56' with 9 compartments.

https://www.steve-banks.org/gcr/387-gcr ... ayed#close

Listed as Diagram 3L7 on Mr Banks' site.

As the panelling is only painted on I tried to scribe on the matchboard sides (with some success) though I had trouble keeping the coach stable enough to reliable scribe straight lines. Couldn't get the ends right so those are just painted black, but I did manage to cleanly removed the unneeded ventilators and added the rain strip and destination boards in their place.

If I was going to do it again I'd try and remove the angle trust and replace with rodding, but otherwise I'm fairly happy with her. (Particularly as a first attempt)

Scale wise, I find the Graham Farish coach to be a touch small for this prototype. Aside from their length, they are a tiny amount narrower than the Ratio Midland Coaches I have her coupled to and being the same height, looks smaller because their roof has more of a curve to it....In short, they 'look' narrow when they should look a bit beefier. In a uniform rake however, that would not be a problem.

Jim de Griz
charlie_c67
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by charlie_c67 »

Thanks for the info guys, I had considered popping them on some Fox bogies to make up a sort of Quad-art set to go behind my GNR N2, but maybe the GCR route is better.
charlie_c67
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by charlie_c67 »

Ok, first engine on the desk is Sonic Models A5. Having got a replacement coal load and rails I’ve realised that the holes in the coal load don’t line up with the stubs on the coal rails, so a quick snip later and they’re now straight on the load. Secondly, the detail pack has been fitted along with the appropriate chip, crew to follow.

My question before any photos is to do with the lamps. Were they used in the same way as headcode discs in GCR times, in which case, can anyone point me to a guide for where to put them please? Or were they just put anywhere? Hopefully have something to show quicker than my last post!