Tooting Bec model shop

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER A3 4-6-2

Tooting Bec model shop

Post by Mickey »

Did anyone visit the Tooting Bec railway model shop ever in south London and is it still there?.

I visited the shop maybe three or four times back in 1993-94 and the shop just a 5 minutes walk from Tooting Bec tube station was stuffed full of Hornby, Lima and Bachmann steam and diesel locos many of which were 'limited editions' at the time along with other model railway related products that were sold. I bought a limited edition Lima GWR King and a lima limited edition ex-LMS 'Hughes Crab' along with a couple of WR Western diesel Hydraulics in different liveries and a number of Lima B.R. maroon Mk1 coaches (I was into Lima products at the time) anyway I presume the shop in question is long gone along with the old fella who was behind the counter back then because I assumed that the shop was his?.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Tooting Bec model shop

Post by mick b »

MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

I suspect Mickey is refering to the original home of Bec Models, gone a long time ago.

It has been a while since I last went but Jane's Trains is worth a visit.
Mickey
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Mickey »

Yeah I believe that was the shop Mike and thanks mick b

I also bought a Hornby B.R. Black 5 and a Hornby B.R.8F as well cos at that time 1993-94 neither locos were available in the Hornby catalog for 1993 & 1994.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Bec Models, 10 Tooting Bec Road - I used to pass it everyday in 1969/1970 on the 49 bus from South Kensington to Streatham and vice versa.

I seem to remember that they produced a couple of kits - in TT?

Peter
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

I think they also did 4mm and trams. There are some 4mm D11 GCR Directors currently on ebay.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I have a Bec D11 and a couple of J52's, I wonder what happened to the molds for these and other loco kits.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Plenty of BEC OO J11s still around too, as well as which they did a J17. Both were body and tender kits only, the loco body's features and proportions altered somewhat from the real thing (especially in the case of the J17) in order to fit the Triang Jinty chassis.
Not "high quality" in my opinion...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

PGBerrie wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:35 pm ...I seem to remember that they produced a couple of kits - in TT?
A good dozen w/m loco kits, and some wagons too. I assisted in the disposal of a large TT layout some years ago with several of these, and they were very neatly cast, all designed to take mechanisms from Triang TT.
manna wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:06 pm I have a Bec D11 and a couple of J52's, I wonder what happened to the molds for these and other loco kits...
It's not the moulds, but the mould masters that might be of interest.

But they are of their time, the idea that the externally visible mechanism should be of correct dimensions so that the splashers are correctly positioned (among much else) was very much scratchbuilder territory when these were introduced. The J17 was neat, but as with the J11 there wasn't a long enough 6 coupled small wheel mechanism for it from RTR OO at the time. It assembled very easily though and looked decent; this at a time when the choice in 0-6-0 for 4mm was very limited.