LNER B17 & B1 Locomotives

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER B17 & B1 Locomotives

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Wheel slip? With traction tyres on the driven tender wheels? Or is it a case of wheel skid on the loco, due to drag from the pick-ups?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Sounds quire realistic, I recall most over loaded steam engines wheels slipped when they started, the Southern Region locos in particular were famous for it as indeed were some of Gresley's finest.
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Because of the cd motor, there is a tendency for the tyres to momentarily lose their grip due to the high revs produced by the motor itself which cause the tender to bounce.

There are 3 possible ways for me to solve this issue:

1 ) Add more tyred wheels

2 ) Add extra weight

Or

3 ) Do both

Because I don't currently have the funds to purchase either a brand new Bachmann B1 chassis and make it a B1 again or purchase a loco drive Hornby B17 chassis I am currently unable to convert the loco to the far more favoured and preferred loco drive ( my ideal preference along with fellow modellers) but finding a loco drive B17 chassis is proving elusive at the moment and there is also the question of whether a Hornby motor would fit within a Bachmann B1 body.