TMC G5

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: TMC G5

Post by Kestrel »

drmditch wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:49 am
I ordered No 2082 with the vacuum gear for push-pull operation.

It arrived promptly
Which carrier did you use? Royal Mail have lost mine.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Mine did come by Royal Mail, with no delay and visible on their tracking tool all the time.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I had a little fiddling time to alter the bogie mounting for about 5 degrees of rotation on the bogie centre. Rear of loco stays centred on the track, negotiates my 30" (centreline) minimum radius requirement.

I might radically alter the arrangement if I ever take this loco for a visit to a friend with a 24" ruling radius layout, but that will require rather more chopping, and subsitution of wiring for the present wiper transfer to conduct track power from the bogie frame to the driving wheel pick up strips.
Kestrel wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:15 amWhich carrier did you use? Royal Mail have lost mine.
As a comparison, placed order 15.15, DPD were knocking on my door 08.55 the following morning. The starting location is part of the problem for RM; we have relatives not far away on the NY moors, and it's three days for post from there in our experience.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Mine was despatched on the NYM at 18:09 last Monday, was at Warrington at 15:24 on Tuesday and at Chester some 4 hours later, at 19:36. It hasn"t been seen since and the tracker is still showing 'in transit' a week later.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Well, even out here in the Southern Hemisphere, my G5 arrived 2 days ago. Lovely looking model although I am not as knowledgeable about some of the shortcomings on detail mentioned by other posts.

The only thing I have noticed is that it seems to be very slow on starting and similarly slowing down, requiring more care when pulling into a station. No doubt only a matter of adjusting the relevant CV and all will be well.

What I'm sure other NER modellers would like to have is a selection of early clerestory carriages, of which there are many photos of G5s working them.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Kestrel wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:25 pm Mine was despatched on the NYM at 18:09 last Monday, was at Warrington at 15:24 on Tuesday and at Chester some 4 hours later, at 19:36. It hasn"t been seen since and the tracker is still showing 'in transit' a week later.
Latest
The tracker woke up yesterday to say the parcel was back at Warrington at 16:54 and at Chester again at 00:04. The postman has just been at 15:45 Friday with the contents seemingly intact. He knocked in the door and by the time I could open the door, he'd gone, van and all, leaving the parcel on the step for anyone to help themselves to.

Question is where has it been hiding for 9 days? The packaging doesn't seem to have been tampered with and for something 18"x7"x7", you could hardly miss it.
Last edited by Kestrel on Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

What do you make of this G5 roof. TMC don't know?
G5 3.jpg
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Don't know about the roof but isn't the number a big high? Shouldn't it be central?
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

What about the pristine cream colour inside the cab? Anyone got inside yet to paint it grubby grey brown? I haven't fiddled with body work at all yet so any knowledge of which construction screws enable access would be useful.
60526 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:47 pm What do you make of this G5 roof. TMC don't know?
It's a roof.

I was curious about the four upstands, one in each corner and wondered if they were securing points for tarps in time of inclement weather. Apparently they are tank vents.
Kestrel wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:27 am ... isn't the number a bit high? Shouldn't it be central?
Never looked at BR standards for postioning these; but as seen on BR's locos there was plenty of variation for no clearly apparent reason. I have 67342, and there is a good photo of 67343 in the same livery scheme in 'Eastern Region in Colour', which has totem and number probably vertically centred in the panels defined by the lining. 'Probably' because the top of bunker panel lining is obscured by dirt.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Tank Vents
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I received my LNER 1752 on Wed. On studying photos I've noticed the the second pipe on the buffer beam (the pipe further from the hook) which is meant to be a Westinghouse pipe is nothing like the right sort of pipe and is in the wrong position. It should be the opposite side of the coupling hook to the vacuum pipe.

Also on the bunker the vacuum pipe is the wrong side of the coupling hook. Again I dispensed withe the second incorrect pipe.

In the mid 30s Westinghouse pipes, according to Yeadon were moved to below the buffer beam so that's what I've done on mine using a suitable pipe from my spares drawer. I've also fitted a more appropriate thicker steam heating pipe below the front buffer beam.

On the bunker I've removed both pipes and replaced the vacuum pipe with a taller version to the right of the hook looking at the bunker in accordance with photos. I've not added a Westinghouse pipe as I need clearance for the tension lock coupling- which I've shortened.

The lettering appears to me to be almost gold but on comparison with my recent Bachmann V2 it's not gold. It's a rather faded yellow though but is very good apart from the colour.

Andrew
Albert Hill
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Albert Hill »

A buffer fell off front and back apparently during transit, a minor annoyance but nevertheless a quality issue.