Overhauling an old A3 and B12

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Overhauling an old A3 and B12

Post by Mersey508138 »

Hi Jim

Your locos paint job is far better than anything I have done recently and top notch on the lining.

Regarding the drilling out of the triang chassis, that could be done with either a bench drill I think its called or by complete stripping the chassis down and mounting the chassis block in a vice although the bench drill would be the best way or dare I say it, an old manual drill with the chassis clamped in place to keep it straight and level but if you're happy with how the locos are running then to be honest I wouldn't worry about it unless the wheels wobble so much that they short out the power.

I noticed in 1 of your photos a H&M Duette power controller and I can definitely say the 2 that I have been using since about 2003 or 2004 have been the best controllers I have ever used on my railway.
Jim de Griz
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Thanks Mersey :)

The Duette was original my uncle's and is a good bit older than myself, it has proven itself to be gloriously tough, reliable and flexible.

Steady progress being made now, only a few jobs left to do.
A3 Progress.jpg
Aside from the white lining on the buffer beam, the lining is pretty much done. For the black around the windows and the red on the frames I resorted to hand painting, but for the rest I used HRMS pressfix.
B12 Progress.jpg
The brass lining worked better than I expected, certainly makes the B12 look distinctive. One of the things I've enjoyed about this project is the research that has gone with it and all the little details I now notice that I hadn't seen before. From the brass round the splashers, to the double lining on the tender. I also didn't realise that while the buffer beam is red, the buffer mountings are black! I've stood next to both Flying Scotsman and the NYMR B12 and I never noticed that before. (That is still to be corrected on the A3)
Tender Frames.jpg
The tender frames have had the red lining painted on as best I could as well. It will be interesting to see how visible it is when running. I going to remove the large tension locks and replace them with non-magnetic ones to future proof them for when I finally get round to fitting an auto uncoupling system.

From here there is a bit of neatening up, white lining to add and the numbers on the buffer beams, then its add crew, lamps and reunite body shells with frames. Then onto test running!

Jim de Griz
Jim de Griz
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

A little more progress.
A3 B12 Front.jpg
I struggled to get the transfers for the white lining to work, so resorted to hand painting. Its not as neat, but to the naked eye it does the job.

Its the first time I've got the numbers to fit on the buffer plate, more successfully on the A3 than the B12, but still a step in the right direction. To be honest, the numbering is small enough that even with my magnifying glass I'm struggling to make them out.

I'm hoping that once vacuum gear etc is added any imperfections in the lining or numbers will be obscured.

Jim de Griz
Jim de Griz
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

B12 is nearing completion, need to do a full up test before doing the last few painting jobs.
B12 Nearly 1.jpg
B12 Nearly 2.jpg
Quite pleased with the results, if I do say so myself.

Jim de Griz
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Tidy Jim, but your rods are on upside down. I imagine they just need swapping to opposite sides of the loco.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Hi Jim

Well done, a far better job than anything I could do with any of my locos
Jim de Griz
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

Thank you both :D

And thank you for catching the upside down coupling rods. To be honest, I didn't know they could be upside down, so I would never have caught that mistake. Now corrected!

After some last minute soldering the Flying Scotsman is also ready for her all up test (scheduled for tomorrow)
A3 Nearly 2.jpg
A3 Nearly 1.jpg
I had hoped to fit black name plates rather than red, but unfortunately the molded name plate that is part of the chassis is a touch too big for the newer replacements I brought, so for the time being atleast she has kept the 'classic' red plates.

Jim de Griz
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Nice work Jim,
for a future reminder, the block on top of each connecting rod centre is to replicate the oil box, and its cork, so obviously it needs to be so that the cork cannot fall out.

Paul