Gaugemaster GM60 wheel cleaner

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Gaugemaster GM60 wheel cleaner

Post by Graeme Leary »

I have had one of these very useful gadgets for some time now but lately it seems that the power is not getting through the metal brushes to turn the loco's wheels and have wondered if dirt/dust/grime has collected in the brushes.

I'm reluctant to try cleaning the metal brushes with some of the more obvious cleaning materials, turps, kero, isopolypropylene alcohol etc and wonder if any other forum members has some suggestions.

Many thanks.
Graeme Leary,
New Zealand
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Gaugemaster GM60 wheel cleaner

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Had to look up this device, never seen one.

My best guess, poor contact with the rails. I'd attach wires from controller to the cleaner and see if it works better.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Hatfield Shed, will give that a go.

Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Before I tried Hatfield Shed's suggestion, using a cotton bud I applied some track cleaning fluid (isopropanol) to the brass bars that make contact with the track and that did the job. No doubt the sort of grime that can collect on tracks can be slowly transferred to the underside of the Gaugemaster wheel cleaner device. Good result.

Graeme Leary