Creating a 3D replica of the LNER B8

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Creating a 3D replica of the LNER B8

Post by Krynio2 »

Good morning

I am opening a new topic concerning the 3D replica of the GCR 1A / LNER B8 steam locomotive. As soon as I can, I will keep you informed about the development of the model.

If you have any questions or discussions, feel free to write under the post. Advice and opinions from experts such as yourself are welcome.

I am already making the first render available. As for the "wheels" and numbers - for the time being they are mere substitute elements.

Regards
Attachments
1.png
2.png
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Creating a 3D replica of the LNER B8

Post by Krynio2 »

Since the last update, I have enhanced the model with textures....
(numbers "5004" and wheels have not yet been added)
Attachments
11.png
22.png
33.png
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

It's finally time to get the numbering right, and this time it's the real numbers that used to shine proudly on the paint of the locomotive pictured above. This is not the only change, as I have taken care to add rivets to make the model more like the original, I have also made the so-called "ash ejector" mounted on the smokebox. Below I have attached photos of both numbering from two perspectives so that you can easily compare the two versions.

Regards
Attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I'm still to take the extra photos you want of my current build of a B8. Hopefully tomorrow

Your 3D design seems to be coming along well.

I note that the number and lettering on the tender and the engine should be in the same line. The number of on the cabside seems to be slightly too high and the lettering on the tender not high enough.

Keep up the good work.

Regards

Andrew
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

Thank you for your reply, the mistake will be corrected.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

I think you've certainly captured the look of the real thing. Is this being developed with the intention of being 3D printed?
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

No, the model is not being developed with 3D printing in mind, although I think it would be able to be suitable for that. I create locomotives mainly with renders in mind, or as part of a foreground diorama. I've included examples of such renders below, and hope that the B8 will be one of "those successful designs" in my collection.

Regards
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I hope these are what you wanted to see. I've not really made much progress on the engine in the last 12 mths but hope to soon.
IMG_2812 cropped.jpg
IMG_2815 cropped.jpg
IMG_2816 cropped.jpg
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

Thank you kindly, this is something I needed.

Regards
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

LNER B8 finally finished!
Altogether the project took me over a week, I really put a lot of work into it.... And it paid off.
The model includes quite a lot of customisation, different variants of chimneys, smokebox doors etc. It is possible to change the numbering to any of the numbers of this class, e.g. 5439, 5440, 5443. The corresponding number of rivets can also be adjusted.

Thanks to user Woodcock29 for his help in identifying the parts and for the photos of the various components.

Soon black GCR livery...

Greetings
Attachments
4.png
1.png
2.png
3.png
Richard i
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Richard i »

I am in the group who feel it would be a shame to not print it as a model given how much effort has gone into creating such an attractive loco.
Richard
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

Thank you, good remarks.
Maybe one day I will take the ordered steps towards printing the model.
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

Hello
I've put off livery the GCR for a little later, but I'm coming with something different, revealing another B8 4-6-0 unveiling, more specifically no.61350 "Sutton Nelthorpe" with a specially modelled nameplate and a modest but charming British Railways livery

Question for the experts:
With regard to the numbers and both the paintwork I am not sure if this existed, is anyone able to confirm if this locomotive actually came in this variant? I took the BR black livery and the whole idea from the O scale modelling website.

Regards
Attachments
2.png
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

No B8 made it into British Railways 'livery' and none actually carried their BR numbers. A nice what if though.

Regards,

Simon
Krynio2
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Krynio2 »

Hello Simon.
Thank you for your concrete and informative reply.

Regards