Warley Show no more

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Warley Show no more

Post by Mercator II »

See the release from The Warley Club confirming what was expected
IMG-20240111-WA0000.jpg
Attachments
IMG-20240111-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20240111-WA0000.jpg
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Warley Show no more

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Not unexpected, as you say Brian. An alternative venue for the consumption of curry sandwiches will have to be found...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

2024, is turning into a bad year for Model Railways, losing Hattons, now Warley, what next. ?????

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:12 pm Not unexpected, as you say Brian. An alternative venue for the consumption of curry sandwiches will have to be found...
Hall 17 in April is my plan
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Although I've been at the NEC show for several years now as a demonstrator, I've only been encouraged to keep going because of the good deal regarding travel and accommodation expenses, the free admission and food, and the social side of the event. Previously, I'd been just twice as a paying customer. I would not now pay to go to a model railway show at the NEC - considering the cost of a 140 mile trip each way, car parking cost or reliance on public transport in the area to get me to and from a "free" parking location, and a large admission charge - especially for a commercial show run by a publisher. The best suppliers for builders of rolling stock and other finescale models don't even tend to appear at shows of that sort these days, so I don't see any reason to go from here.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

I stopped parking at the NEC several years ago & instead park at the railway station and walk in via the link, as its a fraction of the charge. Travel wise used to split the cost when my brother used to attend, and am hoping to persuade him to try again this year

For you, hopefully they might build a demo area as this new show grows and invite you

The social part was a big reason to go for me, the once a year get together, and weirdly although I was the one who lived closest took the longest to travel. One friend comes up from London via train and another flying in from Belfast, both can get there quicker than me driving, a down side to living in Lincolnshire and no decent rail options for travelling if you want to go in that direction

I will probably go Spalding this year now as a result too

Also the attendance of Making Tracks 4 at the KMW show is a big draw for me this year
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
John Tomlinson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by John Tomlinson »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:39 am Although I've been at the NEC show for several years now as a demonstrator, I've only been encouraged to keep going because of the good deal regarding travel and accommodation expenses, the free admission and food, and the social side of the event. Previously, I'd been just twice as a paying customer. I would not now pay to go to a model railway show at the NEC - considering the cost of a 140 mile trip each way, car parking cost or reliance on public transport in the area to get me to and from a "free" parking location, and a large admission charge - especially for a commercial show run by a publisher. The best suppliers for builders of rolling stock and other finescale models don't even tend to appear at shows of that sort these days, so I don't see any reason to go from here.
I can only speak as a paying customer, but in that respect agree with everything that is said here, and haven't visited for many years. If I am going to a show I'd far sooner go to something smaller, and more comfortabe for viewing layouts and stands, and also simpler for parking. Being around 30 miles from Spalding that event ticks the boxes that others do not.

That isn't to denigrate the efforts of those putting the Show together, nor indeed the pleasure that many others have clearly experienced from attending.

Maybe a case simply that "every dog has his day", the NEC is renowned as a high cost venue and therefore perhaps not really suitable for our hobby as it stands.

I do remember that the Warley Club had a highly entertaining and large 4mm layout, with a great range of stock, that they used to display at various shows. I've no idea if this still exists, but if it does then it would be nice to see again.

John.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Do you know the dates for this year's Spalding show?

It's approx hours drive from me (Lincolnshire roads!!)

Not been for ages, 8ish years and enjoyed it then, although the aisle did feel very narrow
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The 2024 Spalding dates do seem to be missing from the club website. I think they appeared in the 2023 show guide, which I no longer have of course, but 2nd /3rd November would appear to fit the pattern of recent years, and the dates already set for 2025...

The last two shows have had the stands and aisles in the main hall arranged at 90 degrees to the old pattern. It seemed a less "crammed" arrangement.

Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:58 am The 2024 Spalding dates do seem to be missing from the club website. I think they appeared in the 2023 show guide, which I no longer have of course, but 2nd /3rd November would appear to fit the pattern of recent years, and the dates already set for 2025...

The last two shows have had the stands and aisles in the main hall arranged at 90 degrees to the old pattern. It seemed a less "crammed" arrangement.
Glad my eye sight isn't to blame then!!

I see they have moved to the Warley weekend for 2026

I have dropped them an email to ask dates for 2024
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Spalding 2/3 Nov 2024 listed on UK Modelshops exhibitions web pages.

Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:07 pm Spalding 2/3 Nov 2024 listed on UK Modelshops exhibitions web pages.
Thanks Graeme, think I'll book day off and pop down
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

As far as I'm concerned Warley was not a show I was ever even remotely interested in going to, so no great loss to me.
I always felt it was to big, to expensive and far to far away to travel to. There are in my opinion much nicer smaller shows to attend instead
nearer home.