GCR Fish Truck in OO scale 16.5mm

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

GCR Fish Truck in OO scale 16.5mm

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hello,
I have a Märklin digital layout which on many levels is very satisfying.
But I started out in the late 1950s with English models and continue to get a lot of pleasure from appropriate modification of some pieces.
On a theme I have built up a few representative pre-group wagons on which subject I have a number of books.
Most of my models are just that - representative. I could never claim they are true to a particular original, though I always use original sources as encouragement.

One is George Dows' Great Central Album (Ian Allan 1969) which I purchased in 1972, and this Fish Van caught my eye at the time.
With acknowledgment to the publisher and author (for private use):

About 10 years later I modified a Tri-ang R11 closed van which was already showing signs of the typical plastic body warping.
It had die-cast underframe and open axle-boxes. By removing doors and cutting off the upper half of the sides I hoped to put a stop to any progressive warping. And so it stayed in the box.
A few months ago I decided to finish it.
Using rod and strip Evergreen styrene I gradually built up the sides and new door.

I use a lot of old Tr-ang wagons because I like the die-cast underframe which provides natural weight, and I have an industrial process where using PTFE hollow rod I fill in the axleboxes and insert proper OO pinpoint axle metal wheels.
(Many early Tri-ang have solid axleboxes where the underframe is split).
I usually retain the brake gear, or remove one side depending on the original, and I grind down the rather bulbous buffers
Cereal box cardboard was suitable for the roof, and the paintwork is Tamiya spray AS28.

At this stage I would like to ask the forum about the underframe colour, which from the photo might be grey rather than black. What do you think?
And here is the finished article with hand lettering due to lack of available decals.

I understand there are a number of glaring errors in this model, so I am obliged to pretend it is an earlier version of the wagon:
1. Original is probably a 10ft wheelbase, and I used 9' 6".
2. I retained the original model ends and used a hybrid bracing.
3. The door should be narrower, but I was constrained by the starting model dimensions.
4. The original photo says it was fitted, and I guess I could fit suitable pipe-work on the ends or pretend it was un-fitted.
5. I still need to put the rail on the sliding door (which does not slide).

Kimball in Brisbane
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: GCR Fish Truck in OO scale 16.5mm

Post by Jim de Griz »

I really like that, really innovative way to make use of an old van and turn it into something unique.

Jim de Griz
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Certainly looks the part. A glance would not reveal it's origin.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all from damp Surrey

Well done Kimball, it looks the part.

I did attempt to make the van from building up from a coal, but it didn't work. I have a few spare vans, so I may attempt following your method. It would go nicely along with my other fish vans.

Earlswood nob (Malcolm)
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Thank you all for the comments, it is very encouraging for me.
My next project is a little simpler, being a 2 or 3 plank open NBR fish truck.

In my post (which I cannot edit) above, I said:
(Many early Tri-ang have solid axleboxes where the underframe is split).
To explain:
These solid axle Tri-ang were designed as split, so the axles/wheels were inserted as part of the assembly.
In most cases I have to resort to a vice (wound out) in order to separate the two halves.
Then I can insert the 1-2mm long PTFE rod in the axle box and just hone it with a countersink bit.
Reassemble with the the new pinpont axles.

Here is a photo of my modified vice, the steel plate tongues are inserted into slots made in the face, so I can wind out the frame till it parts (usually with a snap).

Here is a photo of the separated frame sides - very nicely designed by the Lines Bros. Obviously a cheaper method became a requirement......

Kimball in Brisbane - still a humid 30° day after 09:00
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

kimballthurlow wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:37 am ...Here is a photo of the separated frame sides - very nicely designed by the Lines Bros...
Every day a school day! Naturally long ago flogged the few of this type I had on going 'finescale', without a clue to the construction.

And on with the fish truck!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I also looked and thought "well I never knew they were made like that" :shock:
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

I've still got one of those old chassis somewhere. The halves separate easily. I presume my Dad must have got them apart somehow. I suspect it had the box van body on it.
Andrew
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Woodcock29 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:35 pm I've still got one of those old chassis somewhere. The halves separate easily. I presume my Dad must have got them apart somehow. I suspect it had the box van body on it.
Andrew
Hello Andrew,
Interesting that you say the two halves were easily parted.
The first one I ever came across, I used a small hacksaw alongside the coupler block to open the frame and only then did I realise that they were two separate halves.
The next couple I did came apart quite easily just with my bare hands.
Every subsequent one (I must have a dozen now) I have had to use the vice ....

Kimball
Jim de Griz
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jim de Griz »

I never knew they came apart like that! I should look at some of my old Triang wagons and see if they are similar.

I have a few where I managed to replace the wheels, but couldn’t get the bearings in place.

Jim de Griz
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Very nice conversion. I might have a go at one myself.