V1 inside motion

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NER Nic
NER Y7 0-4-0T

V1 inside motion

Post by NER Nic »

Hello from your newest newbie.
I am building a DJH V1 in O gauge and would like to add inside motion. I have a GA from the NRM which shows almost everything except the motion plate and its,(presumed), attachment to the slide bars. Does anyone know of any photographs or drawings that would help? Any suggestions will be welcome and much appreciated. I have the relevant Yeadon's and RCTS books for all the other information I am likely to want.
NER Nic
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: V1 inside motion

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Because the V1 was a three cylinder machine with the Gresley derived drive to the centre cylinder valve rod, what is effectively the motion plate for the centre engine is independent of the slide bar. The two conjugating gear levers driven from the two outside valve rods pivot on vertical axes, one static fulcrum supported by the frame, the other on the end of the longer lever, all typically mounted forward of the cylinders.

Neat demo in Meccano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0QQGfP1Tbg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

STA73513 detachable cylinder and motion unit on frames now with con-rods.jpg
STA73514 cylinder and motion unit lifted off frames.jpg
STA73511 detachable cylinder slidebar and motion bracket module.jpg
I don't advocate copying a model, but if it's of any interest, after studying a poor reproduction of a GA, and looking at photographs both in Yeadon and of the bare frames for 4472 whilst undergoing overhaul at the NRM, I set up this frame structure behind the cylinders for my OO gauge P1. I've looked for better pictures but so far found only these. In this case the motion plate/bracket should in reality be an extension of one of the frame stays, the middle con-rod passing through the stay. I made it partly removable, with the cylinders, for ease of further access for continued construction, painting and any subsequent maintenance needs. You can see broad sloping top of the middle slide bar, at a higher level than the outer pair. The V1 might be similar if all three cylinders are abreast in one casting, with the middle one inclined to allow the con-rod to clear the axle of the first set of coupled wheels.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
NER Nic
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NER Nic »

Thank you both for the quick responses, more food for thought. I know no one is likely to notice the details but a 'rivet counter' might turn up!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You can be sure that one will turn up if there's something wrong to be spotted...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.