Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by Chas Levin »

Excellent! :)
Chas
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some builds completed.

Dia 14 NER all 3rd
fullsizeoutput_36e6.jpeg
All steel Dia 45 BG from a excellent etched kit .
fullsizeoutput_36dd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_36e4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_36e5.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bachmann O4 fitted with the correct GWR ROD Cab and Footplate.
fullsizeoutput_36d7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_36e0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_36e1.jpeg
Couple of photos of D&S NER Matchboard and Composite Coaches ,built a few years ago ,and not shown on here before.
fullsizeoutput_36e2.jpeg
Last edited by mick b on Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

fullsizeoutput_36e3.jpeg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice additions to the stock Mick. Have you managed to sell-on the GWR-style parts of the ROD minus cab and running plate?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Very nice, you can't have enough NER carriages Mick.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:02 pm Nice additions to the stock Mick. Have you managed to sell-on the GWR-style parts of the ROD minus cab and running plate?
Graeme
No I havent bothered, they are in my spares bin.

Dave
yes indeed re the NER , the only problem is finding any nowdays !!

Mick
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Splendid photos Mick - thanks for sharing.

How easy was the O4 conversion? Does the body split into constituent parts fairly easily, or is it a razor saw job?
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

They're easy to dismantle as the body components are screwed together. Just need to be careful with rear cab handrail which is glued into chassis and probably the underside of the cab roof.
I've used 3 of the WR RODs and have another.
It's actually quite possible to turn the whole WR ROD into an O4. Main issue is you need a new chimney. On one of mine I used a spare Bachmann J11 chimney suitably shortened to make a flower pot version for the O4. You do have to modify the hinge arrangement on the smokebox door and fill a few holes where top feed was and tool boxes on tender. Plus new safety valves. You can buy a suitable chimney from PDK. Ideally use the version with parallel buffers then you only need oval overlays. Or you can buy packets of Bachmann oval buffers, possibly from BR STD or Fairbairn 2-6-4T.
Andrew
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Dave wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:09 pm Very nice, you can't have enough NER carriages Mick.
Agreed :)
Chas
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Woodcock29 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:32 pm They're easy to dismantle as the body components are screwed together. Just need to be careful with rear cab handrail which is glued into chassis and probably the underside of the cab roof.
I've used 3 of the WR RODs and have another.
It's actually quite possible to turn the whole WR ROD into an O4. Main issue is you need a new chimney. On one of mine I used a spare Bachmann J11 chimney suitably shortened to make a flower pot version for the O4. You do have to modify the hinge arrangement on the smokebox door and fill a few holes where top feed was and tool boxes on tender. Plus new safety valves. You can buy a suitable chimney from PDK. Ideally use the version with parallel buffers then you only need oval overlays. Or you can buy packets of Bachmann oval buffers, possibly from BR STD or Fairbairn 2-6-4T.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew - much appreciated. :D
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Latest Loco on the go, a very ancient very badly built GEM LNER D21. Well known for dimension problems , on reciept the only thing i could quickly find was the Driving wheelbase at 2mm oversize. This was due to it being designed for the Triang L1 chassis.

As recieved, these are the E bay listing photos.
d21 1 .jpg
d21 5.jpg
d21 6 .jpg
On taking the Triang chassis off one side of the Loco fell off ! hence the ebay photos being shown. The chassis was then sold off on ebay, and a much altered Comet D49 chassis with the same Driving wheels wheelbase, has now been built as a replacement.

I have today finshed the Loco build and the Tender is rebuilt, painted awaiting lining.
Last edited by mick b on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Loco awaits primer etc. Its sitting on old Hornby drivers at the moment , which I have used for clearance checks on the body. Until High level Models resume selling Gearboxes, the chassis will not be built up as I use Gibsons for wheels.
fullsizeoutput_38dc.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_38e0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_38e1.jpeg
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_38e2.jpeg
Last edited by mick b on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Looks like that one actually came with an NER tender, unlike SAD's.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Tender
fullsizeoutput_38dd.jpeg
As in the earlier ebay photo this came with no underframe at all. I was lucky to have so a pair of spare Dave Alexander frames , these had oval cutouts , they have been re cut to the D shape. A 52F Models etched chassis models provide the chassis. I have remodelled the Tender front as it was the wrong shape on reciept. Thanks to SAD for a copy of the Tender drawing.

New Coal Rails made for the rear of the Tender .

Dave Bradwell and some Arthur K castings were used for the Tender fittings . Same sources for the fittings for the Loco , I have scratchbuilt a Reversing Rod which will be fitted after the initial painting. 52F etched Steps and Lamp Irons.

The only GEM detail casting I have used is the Chimney, no one seems to sell a Q7 chimney ? which i.d to a D21 version other than a Capuchon being required on the Chimney top.
Last edited by mick b on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:33 am, edited 4 times in total.