Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Sadly no Vacumn Braking or Westinghouse systems were ever fitted to a J24 .

thanks
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

J24 finished.

The first photo show how far out the Boiler ,Firebox and Smokebox sides were out in height . They should have been the same height as the Smokebox front. The Footplate etch was also 3mm too long , luckily the Valances and the Chassis Frames were the correct length, a totally bizarre kit. I luckily realised on looking at those photos the Firebox was assembled incorrectly, the etches were removed and the shape rerolled as in the other photos.

The chassis was another gem, in the end two axle holes were out of line on one side and the other side the other hole was out as well.

Castings are from Arthur Kimber, his daughter was very helpful with all the parts needed. Scratch Cab Interior the seats provide on the etch were totally wrong shape.Not a surprise by that stage of the build !!.

Reversing Road and Sand Operating Rod were scratch made. Stresp ae from 52F Models who sell a very handy etch for NER Locos.

IMG_6241.jpeg
IMG_6240.jpeg
IMG_6242.jpeg
Last edited by mick b on Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

IMG_6260.jpeg
IMG_6258.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Renumbered Oxford Rail BR J27 to a LNER period J26, using Dave Bradwell castings for Boiler Fittings inc Smokebox Door and Whistles. Incorrect Rivets removed from the Footplate, resprayed and renumbered. I was unable to find any photos of J27 in LNER days pre war , towing a 2 rail Tender hence a J26 was modelled.
IMG_6265.jpeg
Yet again this Forum refuses use of the other photos saying too large a file.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

mick b wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:39 am....Yet again this Forum refuses use of the other photos saying too large a file.
Suggest you adopt a policy of uploading only tiny low-resolution photos (the type that get pixellated the moment you zoom in). Hopefully that will get enough people moaning so that upload limits will be increased.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Latest "interesting" kit.

A LRM ex Barnfield ex NER LNER B16 kit from originally 30 years ago. So far, I am about 3/4 the way through the Locomotive build. The Tender is still in the box smiling at me everytime I look !!

The main etches are reasonable, using a the original Boiler Dia 49 you have to cut curved pieces out of the Firebox bottom , strange as no idea how if ever fitted when designed by Barnfield. It now also comes with a new etch of the Dia 40a Boiler which was'nt use before 1939, which is too late for my period of modelling.

Instructions are very vague in places and this is not a beginners kit!!. Some of the detail parts are poorly made/cast or simply ignored e.g the prominent Steam Reverser mechanism on the offside of the Boiler.

Chassis was ok no more, none of the body mounting holes matched the ones on the Footplate. Luckily it worked first time when pre assembled before painting.

Usual photo problems.

IMG_6291.jpeg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

There's an article giving (fairly sketchy) coverage of the construction of one of the original kits by "Sir" in an old issue of BRM (1990s?). Maybe you've seen / kept said article? If not, I think I have it, if it's desired, although I'm not sure how much it will help you, if at all.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:02 pm There's an article giving (fairly sketchy) coverage of the construction of one of the original kits by "Sir" in an old issue of BRM (1990s?). Maybe you've seen / kept said article? If not, I think I have it, if it's desired, although I'm not sure how much it will help you, if at all.
Graeme,
Rob Pulham has kindly sent me a copy of the Gladiator 7mm virtually identical kit instructions, which also includes assembled
Photos and a Casting list . The LRM one has neither of these useful add ons.

Hopefully it should now be ok , the Loco body is nearly done , the Loco body and chassis then need painting and assembly. Then the Tender will be built.

Thanks for the offer.

Mick
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

On further thought, I'm not sure that article was by "Sir", it may have been another builder. The result looked okay, either way.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Have now found the article. Better detail in it than I remembered, but memory does date from 27 years ago! Builder and writer David Raines.

I may have sent you something by e-mail.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Ta v much and v useful .
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

B16 ready for paint . Definately not a kit for a beginner. Clearances are all very tight. Its is not going to like curves very much !!.
IMG_6458.jpeg
IMG_6459.jpeg
IMG_6459.jpeg
IMG_6460.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_6461.jpeg
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

mick b wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:39 am Yet again this Forum refuses use of the other photos saying too large a file.
I always try to re-size photographs to 150kb or less.
(I think this was advice from Richard several years ago.)
This has got (slightly) harder in recent years, because computing companies seem to try to make one use more and more storage!

The normal image managing facilities in Windows 7 were fine for re-sizing.
(Although it might just be that I had got used to them!)

The default facility in Windows 10 is slightly trickier, and seems to get changed/upgraded with no notice, but does have the features one needs.
The most recent posts on my thread on here Make do and Mend
(and on the 'other side') seem to work reasonably.

There is also a de-facto restriction to four 'pictures-per-post' but I'm sure you had worked that out!

I tend to use my latest mobile 'phone for photographs now. This produces much larger files than my (now very old) camera. I'm sure it could provide much improved facilities if I spent time with it.
My interests however lie with railways and model railways rather than photography and/or computing.

Thank you for your inspirational modelling. My Oxford J27 is rapidly approaching to top of my work list.
I would love to build a B16/1 and a B16/2 - but I have a lot of other things to build first.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I am on Apple Mac.
One time I take photos all ok , next time too large a file . I simply post now what gets through , much easier !!

cheers
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I use an old (?) version of the free Irfanview program, 4.35 I believe. Very easy. I don't know whether that's available for use on a Mac.