Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: ex NER Brake Vans + Horsebox+ CCT

Post by mick b »

Hi J

1897 is the build date for the CCT.
I havent any photos of this one so its all guess work other than one drawing on the instruction sheet. I have found a photo of a completed model without the top beading , in view of this I have removed it from my model.

Can anyone help????

cheers Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: ex NER Brake Vans + Horsebox+ CCT

Post by mick b »

CCT completed ( I have now glued the roof down!!) I have modelled the one on the Bramblewick layout using the same serial number. A very elusive CCT never found out much more about them so far. I have one picture on its way at ther moment of a beaded version.

Bachmann LNER Brake van

I have removed some handrails and added couplings and new wheels . Turned out quite well. Only cost a fiver off ebay

Mick
Last edited by mick b on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: LNER Brake Vans + Horsebox+ CCT

Post by Frazmataz »

Fantastic effort Mick, both of those look great :D
The user formerly known as Bass.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi

A couple of ABS NER P7 end brake hopper versions with C+L add on etch used

Mick
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

mick b wrote:A couple of ABS NER P7 end brake hopper versions with C+L add on etch used
I think you should have taken the photos before you put the brake gear on. Then you would have seen the gaps in the corners that need filling.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bill Bedford wrote:
mick b wrote:A couple of ABS NER P7 end brake hopper versions with C+L add on etch used
I think you should have taken the photos before you put the brake gear on. Then you would have seen the gaps in the corners that need filling.

thanks i'll remember that for next time
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER now ex NER Hoppers

Post by mick b »

As a result of comments on RM Web I have now corrected the connecting brake push rod system these are now in primer without any gaps!!!!!!!!

Corrected Hoppers

I am suprised no one commeneted on the Black dots on the brass parts in the pictures they are in fact "rivet" transfers by http://www.archertransfers.com . This is the first time I have used them and much better than trying to push half etched holes out from the inside which i never have any luck with as always inconsistent sizes.

With regard to my last CCT the photo I mentioned earlier has now been recived and as usual the lettering layout I guessed at was wrong. Many thanks to 1949bob for the picture

I love this one very tempting to build a further one must speak to Precision Labels re lettering first!!

Mick
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: LNER now ex NER Hoppers + CCT Update

Post by rob »

Mick-Only noticed the black dots when you mentioned them,a good dodge!Do they have to be sourced from the US? Could have done with them years ago when building a pair of Millholmes notorious rivetless N4's!
The CCT as an Elephant van is just fantastic-any idea if Dan has any of these kits left?I'm not going to be happy until I have an Elephant van on the layout!
Great job on the hoppers,I built two from those ABS kits years ago,in terms of relief and detail better IMHO than Slaters but a slower build-I struggled horribly with the hopper framework for the floors but it could have been inexperience too!
Rob
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

great to see those 'black dots' in use on a model. I have seen them advertised but remained a little skeptical of their effectiveness.

I am not familiar with a NER Elephant truck! The only ones I knew about was those bogie 'Barnum Circus' wagons. Was this NER van actually dedicated to moving elephants, did it have any special modifications or were they just used a regular CCTs when not employed for moving elephants?

Will
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

As per photo ,no idea how long such traffic existed. The photo looks like the 1920's from the amount of lettering thereon

Mick
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

wehf100 wrote:I am not familiar with a NER Elephant truck! The only ones I knew about was those bogie 'Barnum Circus' wagons. Was this NER van actually dedicated to moving elephants, did it have any special modifications or were they just used a regular CCTs when not employed for moving elephants?
Elephant trucks had extra eye bolts set into the floor to shackle the animals to so they couldn't move around. I believe they retained the pin rails and cross bars to enable them to carry vehicles.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

These look spot on (if you will pardon the pun) Mick. Does anyone still do the ABS kits?
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: LNER now ex NER Hoppers

Post by Bill Bedford »

mick b wrote:With regard to my last CCT the photo I mentioned earlier has now been recived and as usual the lettering layout I guessed at was wrong.
I think that if there had not been beading on the upper panel it would have been flush. The beading was there to cover the joints between the main timbers and the infill panel. Without beading these joins were filled and smoothed off.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Rob
Look here
http://www.keykits.net/Shop/Catalogue.aspx?c=ABS4

They also have some I believe ex D&S wagons in their lists , dont know which ones?.
I have a NB Gunpowder van a very simple but nice kit and a o/f LNER Fish Van to build at the moment

The floors on the hoppers have not improved a real pain in the @@@ se I prefer the extra weight compared with Slaters version and it has plank outline on the inside. The Slaters I have are all loaded a easy way to cover a piece of lead inside

Mick
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

I found them Mick. Thank you.

I will add them to the list of items to buy. Do C&L mail order the etches for the end braking system? What do you ask for?