Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER ex NER back to the Elephant Truck

Post by mick b »

A early Hornby Flying Scotsman converted to the Double Chimney Humorist with the Crownline GN tender.

Wills "kit" more like a aid to scratchbuilding

On seeing photo a couple of minor bits to do still. I have also reduced the depth of the bargeboards on the rear of the building

I am still trying to confirm colour for the Elephant truck which is now in primer.

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER ex NER + others

Post by mick b »

Some of the older Hornby A4's converted from Seagull/Mallard versions. these were built about 20 years ago. i have updated them with Fox Coat of Arms on the blue versions

Sea Eagle

Dominion of Canada

Union of South Africa

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Nucast Q6 just rebuilt with a Mashima motor, High Level Gearbox and Romford Wheels these replaced a very overheating K's motor and wheels fitted at time of its original build. Weathered using a airbrush.

Elephant Truck finished

I used NER Crimson Lake as I think its the best match to the original photgraph. Precision Label created the decals to order. Excellent service and recomended

Mick
1949bob
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 1949bob »

Hello Mick, nice to see the elephant van picture turned into a model. You really have captured the essence of the picture in an excellent model, the monochrome photo says it all. Guess Ill have to get my finger out and finish mine now.

Bob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks glad you like it , are you doing the same version?

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Latest project on the go a Nucast Sentinel Railcar. I am looking for a photograph of the window behind the non engine end cab (left end in picture) which has some kind of bars to protect the window during token exchanges.

Mick
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There are a couple in Yeadon, Mick, including one of 'Hope' if you would like a scan.
1949bob
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 1949bob »

I was originally only going to do the elephant van as I didnt know the connection to the CCT, but now Im going to have to do both. The project(s) are only a collection of bits so far and they will end up a mix of brass/whitemetal underframe and plasticard body. I havn't tried the precision labels source myself (so far) but it looks too good to resist. How costly are they - if its affordable I have quite a number of finished items that could use a lettering upgrade of this quality.

I have nucast sentinel kit to get round to, and along the way I aim to do some of the other variants- the bodys are very straightforward in plastic but powering them ends up much more expensive than the rest put together! I will trawl through my library and see if I can find anything on the window you are interested in - pictures of the railcars seem to pop up in many LNER theme books.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi Bob
The decals for the Elephant Truck were £10 inc a spare set if you quote Mick Bennett to him he should still have the decal design saved so it maybe cheaper. Try D&S he may still have some kits I bought both of mine last year direct from him.
Is your Sentinel Railcar plastic? as mine is whitemetal and weighs a ton !! I think the Shunter version has a plastic body but never seen one in the flesh. Thanks re photos

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Railcar finished with the name replaced with correct size for the name using TT gauge decals provided by a friend

Townstreet NER Signal Box

Mick
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Mick,

Very nice work indeed. Love the railcar.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi Malcolm
Thanks again for your help during the research for the Railcar , glad you like her.

Mick
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Hi Mick,

You have made a very nice job of rebuilding your railcar. How did the Tenshodo power bogie work out?

I really like your Q6 as well. I have a soft spot for anything eight coupled.

Cheers...Morgan
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi Morgan

Tenshodo, so far so good!!! its pulling well and hopefully will stay in one piece!!
cheers
Mick
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Mick,

I am very interested in the rivet transfers that were used on the Gunpowder van. Could you please tell us who makes them and where you obtained them?

In the near future I shall be starting to build a rivetted girder bridge and they could be very useful.

Colombo