Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by JASd17 »

There are a couple of very good shots of Valour in Martin Welch's weathering book - it was almost worth it for those alone. They might help settle the window lining question. Of course, these things may have changed from works to works, if it ever went anywhere other than Gorton.
All repairs noted in Yeadon's Register for 6165 are at Gorton.

Having looked through my photos of the side-window cabs on B3s I am reasonably confident there was no lining around the windows.

The top of the tender was green and the beading surrounding it does look to be picked out in black only.

John
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Been a interesting Loco to paint etc.

I nearly got caught out by the Tender having the corners painted Black and lined in White, never noticed that on a LNER Tender before.

The GER/Stratford had a different method of layout again as done by Hornby on the latest D16.

Thanks for the likes.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

mick b wrote:Been a interesting Loco to paint etc.

I nearly got caught out by the Tender having the corners painted Black and lined in White, never noticed that on a LNER Tender before.
There is a very clear photo of this on page 26 of Yeadon's Register Vol 22.

John
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

The best photo of the cab of Valour is opposite the Contents page in The Great Central in LNER Days 2 by Jackson and Russell. This shows the cab windows to be unlined, there is also a bit of light reflection off the top of the window beading/frame.

Thanks Jas for reminding me of the pictures in Martyn Welch's weathering book - agreed the book is almost worth having for those pictures alone. The lower photo where the loco has been polished with an oily rag appears to show the splasher tops were black whereas in the mattish upper photo its not possible to tell.

Jonathon the colour photo you mention of B4 Immingham in 1947 does sort of appear to show a black coping plate but I think that is due to the shadow that also covers the upper half of the tender side. The version I looked at was in LNER 4-6-0s A Pictorial Tribute by Swinger. The locos that did have tenders with black coping plates were the ex GE B12s and D16 8900 Claud Hamilton (and presumably the other Clauds when painted green pre 1928) as well as the B17s with the LNER version of the GE tender. All of these of course had shallow coping plates and the black actually suits them.

I've been concentrating on GN stuff recently perhaps this thread will get me back on to the GC! I did replace the motor in a F1 today which had never run all that well - its now got a small Portescap in it so should run well.

keep up the good work everyone.

Woodcock29
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I agree with Woodcock29 the post-war green on B4 No.1482 shows the tender top-plate to be green, it is in a deep shadow.

The Post-war green on the Scottish Directors shows some variations to the pre-war lining. The cabside windows are lined out in black and white, and the top of the tender is lined out in black AND white.

John
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Latest all Hornby

B1 renamed etc
Attachments
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1127.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

IMG_1128.JPG
Boiler seam filled , Banjo Dome added and Boiler repainted and lined.

We now come to the disaster that is also known as Hornby's Book Law.
IMG_1129.JPG
Number 5 removed as to High on the cab, Cab loose at the moment, as the Footplate under the Firebox was all over the place. I managed to file some plastic of the bottom of the Firebox so a bit better now glued on.
Front of footplate better known as the ski ramp was straightened by snapping the front of the Loco under the smokebox there is a slot which is not on any other A3 I have. This appears to be causing a weakness in the front end of the Loco. I then straightened the footplates and wedging the footplate under the front of the smokebox at the gap where the slot is.
At the point I thought quite good, then comparing with other A3's the Smokebox is about 2mm higher than all the other A3's. Cannot see anyway to cure that without destroying the body so thats as far as I will go with Book Law. The Tender will have the Letters place in line with the numbers and line the front of the Tender top which Hornby left green. Glad this was a cheap ebay buy !!
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG
Last edited by mick b on Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think you must have had an especially bad one, Mick. I had one which I compared to an NRM 'Flying Scotsman' and the running plates, buffer heights, etc. matched up perfectly.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Just my luck !!

I have now gone to plan B , I think the wedge I used was too thick, I and have rejoined with a thinner one , now drying again.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Book Law nearly done.

A now famous Parkside Dundas Cattle Van :wink: and a Plate EA
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG

One from a while ago, new photos taken as a result of a post on the dark side forum. DJH Raven A2 City of Durham
Attachments
IMG_1500.JPG
Last edited by mick b on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Excellent. Thank you. I suppose I ought to make 'City of Durham' at some point, but there is a lot to do first.

Sorry if you've already mentioned this, but how did you remove the factory printed lettering from the B1? I've got one to do as well.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A new Swan Morton Blade 10 gently brush across number until gone, same on Tender which was British railways prior to conversion.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Very nice, Mick, especially the pacific.

Did you find the cattle wagon went together OK? I found the corners were a very poor fit, and by thew time I'd smoothed them to an acceptable finish, I'd lost some strapping and bracing detail, which I have to redo in thin plasticard/Archer's.

By the way, what grey do you use for wagons? I've decided I can no longer live with the wagons I painted in Precision LNER grey - way too dark.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

On these I used Revell 66, I use any mid Grey paint to hand. LNER never worried about exact shades so near enough for me.

Cattle wagon.

Yes Corners were a poor fit , on this one the sides were slightly short I made up with micros trip and scraped flush. The bottom side plank was a pain and could have been done better, these were ropey at best in use so near enough. Floor was tad too thick as well. Still better than the Oxford cock up.