Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Hermes already used a hammer on her , once is enough !!

I am surprised to say ,she is'nt doing too bad . Only had her running on a 30 inch oval without trying the points so far.

The front bogie keeps lifting on the curve, just needs the spring strength adjusting .I have used the Comet bogie etch , No de-railing or shorting.
The rear truck is fine, the rear guard irons however were set too low, and were hitting the rails on curves. Nothing a hammer whoops !! I mean pliers !, couldnt sort out out very quickly.

Just needs some light weathering and she is done.

Geo Norton N8 or J25 next to do. Hopefully without needing extra parts to be made, etc. !!

There is another A7 on ebay for sale at the moment , some aprts looks different again from you kit.

Thanks for you help on mine .
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

mick b wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:58 pm Hermes already used a hammer on her , once is enough !!

I am surprised to say ,she is'nt doing too bad . Only had her running on a 30 inch oval without trying the points so far.

The front bogie keeps lifting on the curve, just needs the spring strength adjusting .I have used the Comet bogie etch , No de-railing or shorting.
The rear truck is fine, the rear guard irons however were set too low, and were hitting the rails on curves. Nothing a hammer whoops !! I mean pliers !, couldnt sort out out very quickly.

Just needs some light weathering and she is done.

Geo Norton N8 or J25 next to do. Hopefully without needing extra parts to be made, etc. !!

There is another A7 on ebay for sale at the moment , some aprts looks different again from you kit.

Thanks for you help on mine .
30" radius without shorting - that's pretty good. Nice one. Sounds as though you have hit on a good combination of parts there.

I have a Norton J25 in my roundtuit pile, so will follow your build progress with interest 8)

Again, I was only too pleased to help out. It's what we (hopefully) do.

I wonder what that A7 will go for :?:

Cheers
Mark
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Mark

£113, cheapest I have seen one sell for quite a while.

Some have sold for about £200 in the past.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

mick b wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm fullsizeoutput_2f5f.jpeg

IMG_1280.JPG
Hello Mick, interested to see the pictures of your breakdown train again as I'm contemplating an RTR modification of a Triang R127 crane to an approximation of LNER appearance - I tried to include your re-posting of the pics from January 2020 in this post, but it doens't seem to work: I'm sure you know the vehicles I mean though...
I notice that your support and other engineering vehicles are in the expected departmental Oxford Blue, but the crane itself looks to be in black with red lining. Was this standard practice for cranes in LNER use?
Chas
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Chas

Yes thats correct, info from the Tatlow volume's.

I would suggest you wait for the Oxford release of the same, or very similar Crane, hopefully in 2021.

cheers

Mick
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Mick, not sure I have the Tatlow volume with that in, though this wouldn't be the first time I asked about something on here and found I had the information in a book on my shelf so I shall go and check.
I didn't know Oxford are doing it, but I have a very nice looking cresin casting of the Cowan Sheldon counterweight, an etch of the pulleys and some transfers all ready so I'll still do my own one :D .
Chas
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

D&S ex NER Dia 18 3rd Brake. This is a bitsa build secondhand D&S sides and floor/underframe , Worsley Works etched Roof , Duckets and ends . The etched Roof is much better than the moulded plastic roof D&S supplied with full kits. All solder construction .
fullsizeoutput_34b7.jpeg

A photo of a very old, 10 years plus build ,of a D&S ex GNR Ballast brake. Grame King is building another one on his thread at the moment.

fullsizeoutput_34bc.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Awful very old Geo Norton kit of the ex NER J25.

A lot of the kit has been replaced/or were not supplied in the kit Coal plates and Coal Shute on Tender, Sanding Rod on Loco were all made from scratch. Instructions were poor in the extreme just three small sheets. No tabs or any markings to assist with the fitting of parts.

52F Models

Coupling Rods , Bottom Footplate Steps, Cab Sanding Levers and Lamp Irons

Arthur K

Backhead and fittings , Clack Valves

Dave Bradwell

Tender Toolboxes , Water Filler Top and Tender Brake lever.

Caley Coaches

Piano Valve Cover

The Boiler as supplied went into the Cab area about 10mm with no backhead or any fittings , Boiler was cut back level with the Cab Front . Cab parts/splashers were totally wrong and modified/added as shown in pictures, reversing and sanding levers added to the Cab. Boiler Wash out plugs added ,the etched ones in the kit are wrong.

Loco Body now has the first coat of primer , chassis runs but needs more work. Tender is finished awaiting decals, coal etc.
fullsizeoutput_34d1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_34d2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_34d3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_34d4.jpeg
Last edited by mick b on Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

fullsizeoutput_34d5.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_34d7.jpeg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Very nice work on the J25.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice J25 Mick. I've only ever built one George Norton etched kit, for a Midland tender to go with a former M & GN loco. I didn't find the instructions too bad, but the kit concept wasn't nearly so user-friendly as the modern ones with fold up structures. Generally, separate pieces throughout, to be soldered neatly to a right angle joint wherever necessary.
I've only just noticed your ballast brake picture too. I must have had my head in the sand last month...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:28 am Nice J25 Mick. I've only ever built one George Norton etched kit, for a Midland tender to go with a former M & GN loco. I didn't find the instructions too bad, but the kit concept wasn't nearly so user-friendly as the modern ones with fold up structures. Generally, separate pieces throughout, to be soldered neatly to a right angle joint wherever necessary.
I've only just noticed your ballast brake picture too. I must have had my head in the sand last month...
Graeme
I have no idea of the history of the Norton J25 , at a guess one of his first kits or even the first. After building a Bradwell J27 and similar this shows just how poor some of the old kits are, in fairness perhaps I have been spoilt by the Bradwell and other newer kits.

Its the first etched kit I have built, where parts have been ignored or forgotten to be added to the etches ,none of the missing parts were actually listed so they were never there. Even Jidenco manged all the parts normally !!

Instructions are very old on three flimsy tiny sheets of paper, just a list pf parts and a couple of handrawn copies of the layout of the etches. A few lines on how to build the Loco, It then says "build the Tender " and thats it !!

There are zero fold up parts, all soldered joints needed , no proper tabs or any position markings .
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Hmm, I'm going to be looking at building my Norton J25 soon - perhaps building Arthur's J24 will have spoiled me :shock:

Mark
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Mark
Its do able , just takes a bit more time (and swearing !!!). :shock:

If yours has coupling rods with a very large hole in the centre where there was artic rivet on the protype, bin them they are total rubbish !! and get some nice ones from 52F Models !! I suggest the other replacement parts as well if needed.

Mike Meggison's build of the Arthur K version of the J25 on RM Web, was also invaluable in this build as well.