Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by Dave S »

I'm on a Mac too, very easy to resize the image in 'Tools' then 're-size' image.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

B16 Tender ready for paint.

IMG_6496.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

B16 now running.
IMG_6516.jpeg
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

mick b wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:41 pm B16 ready for paint . Definately not a kit for a beginner. Clearances are all very tight. ....
Presumably a P4 build would be even tighter. I think you described this kit elsewhere as "poor at best". Fortunately I'm not in the market for a B16....!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

B16 done.

The Tender after building was then found to have the side Coal plates etched 3mm too long :twisted: . Removed and made to size.

Avoid this kit, unless very very desperate !!.

IMG_6560.jpeg
IMG_6571.jpeg
Last edited by mick b on Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Next up. Looking at the instructions , the kit was available in 1985 !! for £75.00 about £220 nowdays. A recent lucky ebay find, bought for less than the second amount !!.
IMG_6569.jpeg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A2 Loco body done, need tidying, and small parts added. Chassis ready for painting.

IMG_9910.jpeg
IMG_9907.jpeg
IMG_9909.jpeg
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Happy New Year to all

I was very lucky as soon after I retired 15 years ago, I won an action lot containing the original DJH A2, a SEF K3, and a spare K3 chassis. All for £140, I almost couldn't believe my luck. This means that I got the A2 at approx. the original price.

Both models are still on the roundtuit shelf. I have been wishing for the last 15 years for another A2 at a comparable price to build the version with an A1 boiler, but I'm not that lucky.

I'll be interest to observe Mick's building of the A2. Tony Wright built one, published in a Railway magazine.

Malcolm
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Re the DJH Raven A2 I am building at the moment.

Wanted !!

I have now got to the chassis stage on the A2 and found that about 25 years ago DJH managed to supply 4 x 26mm plain and insulated Driving wheels , and for what ever reason they also include one insulated and one plain 27mm Drivers, all in the original still sealed bag !!

Obviously the 27mm versions are not a lot of good 25 years on.

Has anybody got a spare pair of 26mm Romford drivers with Nickel Silver tyres versions, one in Plain and one Insulated, without the cast balance weights versions please. A good price will be paid for them.

No one seems to sell the Romford or Markits versions at the moment. Wizard are out of the modern version.

Thanks.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Latest update on the A2 .

Loco body is 99% finished . Need a final filler clean up and a location holes drilled for Three "Levers" on the Offside next to the Firebox , they will be fitted last as will other Brass fittings after painting and decalling. Cab interior to be painted then the Cab Roof will then be fitted and exterior painted etc.

I have located some Drivers via the Dark Side , and the chassis will be then finished. Then the Tender.
IMG_9914.jpeg
IMG_9913.jpeg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

looking good Mick.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looking good so far. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I don't have a DJH A2 to build, but a question out of curiosity. From various build of these things I've seen online or in mags, quite a few have fairly serious sagging of the front end running plate, usually starting from behind the smokebox. Did you have to do any remedial work or modification to get the running plate properly level ?

Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

nzpaul wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:36 pm I don't have a DJH A2 to build, but a question out of curiosity. From various build of these things I've seen online or in mags, quite a few have fairly serious sagging of the front end running plate, usually starting from behind the smokebox. Did you have to do any remedial work or modification to get the running plate properly level ?

Paul

No just normal checks to make sure the two parts are actually level before building. The Footplate is in two sections. DJH cast a large boss on one to assist lining up. Perhaps some have been rushed or not checked prior to assembly. I have only ever seen a photo of one with such issues.

Its shown here

https://www.lner.info/forums/download/file.php?id=503. in that photo the join is were the footplate nosedives to the front.

Sadly neither Gilbert or Rob have been on this forum for a long time ??.

Morgans A2 build thread is here

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... lit=djh+a2

My current A2 City of Kingston Upon Hill is now at the paint stage , I must do some more photos. No idea why, but a lot of my previous photos of City of Durham have disapeared from Morgans thread. I no longer have them either ,as they were on a long gone laptop.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mick b wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:42 am

Sadly neither Gilbert or Rob have been on this forum for a long time ??.
Would that be Rob Bergin by any chance Mick? He was quite a prolific builder of whitemetal locos at one time, then mentioned increased family responsibilities if I remember correctly and stopped posting on here. I tried to contact him again a few years back, just to see if all was well, but had no success.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.