Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by Tom F »

Nice work Mick!

Regarding the Brake Van, are you going to be replacing the buffers and handrails?
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Whats wrong with the buffers?

Handrails have been changed , the plastic is not strong enough to add the tiny separate ones at the base, if that what you mean?
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

mick b wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:11 pm Whats wrong with the buffers?

Handrails have been changed , the plastic is not strong enough to add the tiny separate ones at the base, if that what you mean?
Yes that's what I was referring to regarding the handrails. I think some had the horizontal handrail split into 3 parts too (just looking on Paul Bartlett's site). I'm interested as I've one to do too.

I think the buffers on your model are of the Oleo type, which were fitted (happy to be corrected) in the late 1950s on new BR builds.
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

No idea re Oleo's before as not my era.

Looking at photos, the Hornby version are a very poor effort, they have a very slight shoulder on the moulding, which is very pronounced on the photos.

I can live with mine as they are at the moment !! No idea who would do the correct replacements (nothing on Lanarkshire Models site) ?.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Now finished, the A.F Hammond H&BR Brake Comp.
1ahbr 1.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice to see something not commonly modelled.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:19 am Nice to see something not commonly modelled.

It would be nice to find the other diagrams that were made by Hammond, I was very lucky to get these two via eBay a couple of years ago.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Current builds , nothing screwed down on the A2/3 or final fitting on the F8.

A2/3 Edward Thompson
fullsizeoutput_147f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1480.jpeg

Falcon Brass LNER F8 a very old poor kit , Arthur K castings , Mainly Trains and 52F etches.
fullsizeoutput_1481.jpeg
IMG_6369.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Edward Thompson completed.
fullsizeoutput_170d.jpeg
IMG_6817.JPG

Oxford Cattle wagons, partitions locators now in correct place , repainted and weathered.
fullsizeoutput_1711.jpeg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nicely done again Mick. Those cattle wagons almost fooled me - I wondered if they were from the ABS range :shock: (whose proprietor is now fully entitled to reprimand me severely for stirring the pot with a risky comic remark....)
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:10 pm Nicely done again Mick. Those cattle wagons almost fooled me - I wondered if they were from the ABS range :shock: (whose proprietor is now fully entitled to reprimand me severely for stirring the pot with a risky comic remark....)

Yes my last A2/3 conversion :shock: :? Model Rail are running a survey on Facebook at the moment asking how many people want one r.t.r !!!

If you long enough apparently a cow can also be seeing going over the moon :shock: or is it a flying ABS model disappearing into infinity and beyond, you have about that much chance of seeing them again :D .

Oxford version are a give-away about a fiver each off eBay!!. Other than the wrong 9ft WB version and the partition cock up they are very good.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hows the F8 coming on Mick, I have palpitations everytime i open my Jidenco autocoach box.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

99% done , I thought it was done until yesterday when I fitted the outside " carrying wheels" for the first time, not sure what they are called, on what are normally called bogie wheels ? Radial Truck wheels perhaps?

On fitting them, the mounting holes for those wheels on the chassis are about 1mm too high, the wheels as a result the wheels are 1mm off the ground at the moment. I am now filing the holes to lower them , the wheels may now need springing when refitted to the chassis. The chassis is overall rubbish , poor detail etc, bit like the actual awful kit, but at least I have got it too run. I am guessing the problem is that as I am using scale size wheels, it was perhaps designed in the 1970's era to use oversize Romford and Jackson wheels, not that the kit tells you what size wheels to use :shock: .

This is my first and last Falcon Loco kit, I built a Jidenco LNER Cattle Wagon that won't be revised either !!. :shock: :oops: :roll: :lol:

I will post some photos once finally tamed !!.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

The A2/3 looks great Mick. However should it not have the yellow/red post war numbering and lettering? Fairly certain they weren’t gold. Could be the monitor I’m viewing it on though, my apologies.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Gold shaded on 500, 511 Gold Gill Sans unshaded, 512 Cream unshaded, remainder Gold Shaded then last few Gill Sans Yellow.
fullsizeoutput_1757.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1755.jpeg

A Varney Transport Replica kit Van.

fullsizeoutput_1758.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1759.jpeg