Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

D&S ex NER 10 ton Brake Van detail obtained from the excellent Tatlow LNER Wagons Vol 2. I have added some detail to body including lamp irons and lamps. Wheels are taped at moment pending underframe weathering via airbrush.

Latest project a D&S NER 6 wheel Brake . This has been quite a bit of work so far. Lots of handrails required which were a lot of bending!! Photos are prior to final wash . It is now in etch primer finish , awaiting Teak paint.

Mick :wave
Last edited by mick b on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

The brake van looks great Mick, and I can't wait to see how the Passenger Brake works out! :D
The user formerly known as Bass.
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Mick-
I think I can reads NER on the solebar plate :shock: -how did you manage that?Interesting to see how they before your weathering too,you have that down to a very fine art!
Rob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi Rob
Very simple surplus Slaters Hopper Transfers !! I have just painted black over some of the original number to something similar to the Van number. With a coat of grime it will be fine. The NER number is very prominant on the Van in the original photograph .
I also added a etched plate underneath prior to painting I wished I had taken a picture prior to painting which would have made it clearer what has been added to the body.
One other thing I have now added are the metal rods that hang between each door as a safety barrier. I added small wire eyes to the van under the windows to hang them from. I will post a further picture when airbrushed.

cheers Mick
Last edited by mick b on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wehf100

Post by wehf100 »

look wonderful- very handsome vans. I will be interested to see how the 6-wheeler progresses.

Will
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

These are looking mighty fine, Mick. I look forward to seeing more as you finish them.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some progress

Brake Van is now finished.

Passenger Brake

Next stage Decals then Satin Varnish, the body underframe I leave in Matt finish.

D&S Ex NER Horsebox coming on nicely. It will run on spoked wheels when complete.

Mick
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Cracking stuff as ever, Mick. I rather like those horseboxes - must get round to building mine. I see you've used the 'left over Slaters builders plate' dodge as well - it amuses me every time I look at David Geen's site as almost all his NE wagons have the 20T hopper plates on.

How different is that NE brakevan to the LNER one which Parkside do? (Just to continue my current Parkside conversion line of thought).
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Great work Mick :) Can wait to see that horsebox fully painted!
The user formerly known as Bass.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi J
The only obvious differences is length the Toad B is 2 foot longer and wheelbase 10' 6" which 6" longer. Plus you have those dire footboards to contend with!!! :lol: :lol:

thanks for comments to all

Mick
wehf100

Post by wehf100 »

wonderful stuff, although you hardly need me to say that!

Could I ask how you soldered the handrails on the brake van. I have struggled with them, notably the 'T' shaped joints. Do you use a jig, template or some such thing, or do you do it in situ? I simply find keeping two round sections of metal butting against one another at 90' almost impossible without clamping over the joint itself- thereby blocking the area that the soldering iron needs to touch. any tricks??!!

many thanks, hope the question isnt too banal!

Will
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
I use pieces of scrap etch nickel silver from motion etch sheet (doesnt solder as easily) on both sides of the corner. This ensures a constant depth to all of my handrails as well as corners.
Solder one side into position. The quickly solder the other side holding the finished side with fingers gets a tad hot occasionally but if your quick (I use a 24 watt iron) it should be ok. Clean up the joint with needle file afterwards.
Sometimes the joint will fail in handling but it takes a couple of seconds to redo. I must have done some of the ones in the pictures 3 or 4 times before i was happpy with final result before painting.
Hope that makes sense i will post a couple of pictures

Mick
Last edited by mick b on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Horsebox ready for painting

Mick
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: ex NER Brake Vans + Horsebox

Post by mick b »

Both finished

Now building ex NER Dia 25 O/F CCT

Mick
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: ex NER Brake Vans + Horsebox+ CCT

Post by jwealleans »

Quality as ever, Mick. That last CCT is a little gem - I don't ever recall seeing one of those before. Is it a Victorian design?