Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Micks 4mm LNER Models

Post by mick b »

Been a while since I posted.

Commision painting only job for SAD Burnett . JW might remember this one unpainted. Chassis's are with the owner, hence the model being on "stands" for the photos. Buffers will be cleaned up/painted by owner.
IMG_1085.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1084.JPG
Last edited by mick b on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I do remember it - I couldn't get it into my pocket. I'm hugely jealous.

Tender coal plates, Mick, green or black? I thought they were black, but you may have found evidence otherwise?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Coal plates ? do you mean on the top of the Tender sides? I have found two photos in LNER Locos in Colour both B3's are in Green and are unlined.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

A couple of others I have found

1 Valour.jpg
1 valour 2.jpg

The first lovely model has quite a bit of lining missing from the Tender base and corners and Cab spectacle/side windows area. It also has no reversing lever and the top of the splashers should be Black !!.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I'd not be rushing to complain, contemplating all that Gortonian gorgeousness.
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

Mick,
That looks absolutely wonderful!!!!!
I can't wait to get it back and put the chassis back in place.
Re painting of the tender coal plates,,,, I'm pretty sure there is a colour pic of Valour in Martyn Welch's book on weathering.
It's not going to be changed anyway so it is all pretty academic.
I have a copy,,, "somewhere" in the boxes,,,, having recently moved.
My main regret with Valour is I made it for father,,, and he hasn't been with us since 2002!!!!
Better late than never I suppose,,, it has gone on far too long as I started it in Saudi in 1982!!
I will post pics of it when all the components are back together.
If anybody wants to see it in the flesh we are doing Manchester show in early December.
Once again Mick,,,, many many thanks

SAD :(
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Gorgeous!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Coal plates all I have seen are Green , the only doubt I had was whether the surrounding beading was done in Black. So far never found anything to confirm that suspicion. Anything pre war is a nightmare to confirm colours due to poor colour photos and B&W not showing much definition in shades of paint .

As mentioned relier these are from LNER Locos in colour well worth finding a copy.
IMG_0943.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I look forward to seeing Valour in due course.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Excellent work, pity, with a name like that it wasn't preserved.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Hi Mick

Nice paint work on Valour. A couple of comments if I may. It appears that Valour never had the white/black lining around the side cab windows - there is plenty of evidence to support this, nor did either of the other two side window B3s. I painted the beading around the tender coping plates black on mine but you're right its hard to be sure one way or the other. Although the colour photo of Valour in Jenkinson's The Big Four in Colour (p62) clearly shows the coping plates are green it does look like the beading is black but it could just be dirt?

I've never been sure that the tops of the splashers were black or green. I painted mine black but have some suspicion they should be green? The reflection of light off the top of the front of the splashers in B&W photos makes it very difficult to decide.

I have attached a photo of my Valour kit-bashed from a Ks B2 back in 1992. I never quite got the shape of the dome correct and have to live with the fact the tender body is a bit too narrow for a self trimming tender. I have a spare Bachmann self trimming tender I could paint up for Valour but I'm keeping that ready for a B7 I might build sometime from an unbuilt B2 kit I have put away.

Woodcock29
Attachments
Valour ps small.jpg
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Good to see your B3 again Woodcock. It looks even better than last time I saw it.

I have picked up a couple of Kays B2s cheaply, one for conversion to a B3 and the other to be converted to a B7.

I did think of converting one to a B8, but decided against it, and now plan to build the boiler from a SEFinecast Crab, with a simple brass strip footplate.

As for Mick's B3; it looks good and I am waiting to see it on its chassis.

Earlswood nob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Re Valour's cab windows.

Look at this photo the cab beading is defiantly darker than the surround area. I see no reason why it would not also be lined out white. As always the photos are sadly poor in detail.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/branches/northa ... =27&page=1

The above picture b&w I posted earlier also look lined out to me !!

edit
I have also looked at Yeadon Volume for B3 on Pages 34 41 48 and50 have photos that look like they are lined . Of course it could all be reflections and shadow. Not one decent photo of the cab area !!

Nice model of Valour as well.
Last edited by mick b on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Lovely job Mick, no matter how we argue about the details. My vague recollection from texts and images is that black tender coping plates were a 20s/30s Stratford quirk.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Just as well, I wasn't painting it, then, although I would have read up more before I did it. Whose is the post-war colour shot of Immingham, rear three-quarters on a shed somewhere? Doesn't that one have black coal plates, or have I hallucinated it?

This is how I saw it a couple of years ago:

There are a couple of very good shots of Valour in Martin Welch's weathering book - it was almost worth it for those alone. They might help settle the window lining question. Of course, these things may have changed from works to works, if it ever went anywhere other than Gorton.
Last edited by jwealleans on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.