Micks 4mm LNER Models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Models

Post by mick b »

At work
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Latest cheap Ebay rescue job is the Bachmann V1/3

Body is basically undamaged , it needs a good clean up some extra detail and a repaint.

Chassis works well. BUT someone has filed off the flange from the centre drivers WHY ??!! and a a rear split plastic muff is also required.

Has anyone updated one of these ? Will the Loco run ok without the awful pickups/wire on the equally awful Bogie wheels? I cant seen any reason why not ? at the moment before I start cutting. Are the huge Coils springs needed on the bogie wheels too ? or there a better way of springing them please? Is it viable to change the Bogie wheels for Gibsons/Markits?

cheers
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Try Bachmann Service for the bits. I find that they are good with a very reasonable turnaround.

As to the flanges: its amazing how many people think that this will ease the passage round curves. Isn't 1st radius tight enough?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hattons still have the chassis as a spare on its own, minus the body.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Found a spare Plastic Axle/Muff the J72 version is ID . Replaced bogie wheels with Gibsons and removed their pick ups. Runs fine. Bachmann emailed re Driving wheels spares.
A start has been made on the body. Crap paint removed , numbers and lining removed with white spirit no idea what paint Bachmann used but that came off as well!!. Smokebox number, Shed Plate and Handle removed and straps thinned down. Seams on boiler top removed as well.
A couple of replacement handrails to be done and new Buffers and then nearly ready for paint

cheers
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'd suggest that pick up from only the coupled wheels is okay if your track is almost perfectly level and you can manage to keep all of the track and all of the wheels almost perfectly clean all of the time, on which criteria I fail completely - orrrrr, if you are happy to go back to "train set on the carpet days", and run locos above any possible stalling speed at all times, which I am not happy to do. Otherwise, more pick up is needed.
Am I right in thinking that the 2-6-2 chassis has one pony truck wired for pick-up, but provison for pick-up clearly made for both trucks? You'll obviously have to bush the bearing holes in the trucks in some way if you want to fit better wheels on 2mm axles in place of Bachmann's nasty versions with their ultra-deep rims and tyres (although they look less obvious when simply painted black.....)
If you don't want to chance losing useful pick up, but you go ahead and fit new pony wheels, say Markits, how about this: Short out one wheel of each set, opposite sides of loco for each truck. Transfer one of the pick-up wires from the wired truck to the non-wired one, so that one truck now picks up from the right rail, and the other truck from the left?
Or you could get really adventurous/clever/silly, adding wires so that both trucks have both of their bearings wired up, then short both wheels of both sets to the axle, but saw the steel axle in half and re-join in the middle with a plastic sleeve.
I doubt if the trucks need springs as heavy and ugly as those fitted by the factory, but I haven't tried fitting anything more refined. Would it really be wise to throw out the springs entirely if you want the trucks to pick up current or provide any steadying influence at the ends of the loco to discourage it from waddling like a duck?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Well its runs at the mo on just the Drivers without obvious problems. The bogies are running in 2mm Brass bushes glued onto the trucks and again are ok . Good idea re pickups I will see how it goes.
I agree re springs a coat of paint or blackening (if it takes ok) will hide them.

thanks
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

More progress .
Mould lines cleaned up and gaps filled . New handrails where needed and extra details added. About to be primed and painted plain Black. It will be a post war V3 in Yellow Gills San lettering and Numbers
A new set of drivers are on way from Bachmann and a set of Brake rodding which was missing from Loco on purchase.
After advise from Graeme. I have now decided to retain original Bogie wheels and pick ups. I have re wired the Bogies with thinner wire which looks much better than the "Tow Rope" fitted on arrival. Painting the wheel edges has improved their look no end.
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Nice J95 Mick
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I think the buffers might be a bit high at the mo :shock:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

V3 up and running. Awaits a light weathering
1.jpg
2.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nicely tidied up. I don't blame you for stopping short of changing the curvature of the cab roof, although it should in truth be more rounded in section. Bachmann's fault, like the dome.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I agree , the V3 was always going to be a simple rescue job. Its not a bad moulding , but its showing its age much like most of the older Bachmann Locos . In the end I gave up with the bogie pick ups no obvious space for the wires to clear the front of the bodywork. It runs fine as mentioned before . Looking at the new/replacement V1 chassis at Hattons website their is no sign of the pick up wires on the rear bogie . It would appear Bachmann no longer make the chassis with these pickups ?
Bachmann service excellent new parts arrived in 2 days.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Well done, old chap. Nice to see older stuff given a new lease of life.

Now, where are those Airfix Prestwins I bought at the weekend. Ah! Now, the drill...

Mrs BB: Nurse! The Screens!!!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Much has been said elsewhere about FS in wartime black. This prompted me to get a suitable donor loco on ebay and produce my own black A1. Still to get an identity.
A1 Black 2.JPG