Gladiator Q6 Kit

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tynedock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Gladiator Q6 Kit

Post by Tynedock »

I have a DJH/Piercy Q6 and was thinking of another ,however, I see Gladiator do one and I was wondering if anyone out there in the ether has built the Gladiator version. I would like to know if it is good as the DJH offering and also its accuracy.
lnerjp
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Gladiator Q6 Kit

Post by lnerjp »

Sorry I cannot answer your question, but as I am currently building a DJH J27 myself and quite fancy a Q6 next, I too would like to hear people's opinions.

J.P.
J.P. Venus
Rambler
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Rambler »

I'm thinking of using a Q6 kit as a short-cut to making a Q5 (NER class T), so would appreciate any comments on the Gladiator or Haywood kits for the Q6.
Regards, Eric Ramsay
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

This info was provided by Arthur Kimber on the Horn(s)by Q6 thread (Jun 25th)
Converting a Hornby Q6 to a Q5 is not that easy as much of the upper structure has to be dumped into the scrap bin. The boiler as well as being smaller diameter is also shorter. That means that the entire cab has to be sawn off and moved forward by one foot (4mm). Then throw away the cab front as the roof profile is incorrect (along with the windows). At the front we must dispose of the smokebox saddle and reprofile the upper frames. Then build a new smokebox. The chassis is also 4mm shorter at the rear so carve that off as well. And what has the latter butchery done to the tender connection?
Although it's 4mm, the amount you would bin in 7mm is quite a bit more.