Apple Green Engines

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: apple green

Post by Bullhead »

richard wrote:A good ear and honest communication from the seller, combined with constructive reasoned/balanced criticism from the modellers is beneficial for all.
keithp wrote:If its super detailed Blundering I suggest you try specsavers next time and why has it got a Volvo bumper on the front
So we're well on the way, then. :roll:
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

keithp wrote:If its super detailed Blundering I suggest you try specsavers next time and why has it got a Volvo bumper on the front
All this thread started off as was someone asking other members whether they thought the models were worth the money - now you have come on here and appear to be defending yourself, which is fair enough in itself, however criticising them for their work isn't fair in my eyes, especially as they do not sell it to others and do it for their own enjoyment. If you carry on to criticise members i'll start editing/deleting posts
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Rlangham wrote:You appear to be defending yourself.
keithp wrote:I shall post some pictures shortly of our recent builds for your education.
Pictures would be the best defence of all, and the class is assembled.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think everyone should calm down a bit. I've preferred a quiet moderatorial style so far, but I would support Rlangham if he chooses to delete any posts.

Keithp: I'm not in a position to give significant comment on your models, but I pointed you to this thread, so that you could defend your models and/or amend them. My comment about Dapol was aimed at everyone, and was a hint that the resulting discussion could be beneficial for all. Instead it has deteroriated, and so far I don't think you've acquired any customers.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I have deleted two posts!

Both Rlangham and myself have issued warnings, but Wandering1500 decided to ignore them and overstep the mark in a significant manner. His posts have been deleted.

Wandering1500 is not the only guilty party in this thread. All further posts to this thread of a negative, taunting, childish, or ad hominen nature WILL BE DELETED.
I also reserve the right to lock the thread and ban individual members.

Make sure all future posts are constructive.

Just because I say that you should assume that children are reading, does not mean you should act like children. :roll:

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

richard wrote:I think everyone should calm down a bit.
Good advice. For my own part, apologies if I've trodden on any toes. :oops:

And I meant to say earlier that I agree with RLangham that the green Ivatt R1 looks to be a model of an extremely high standard - besides being an interesting choice of a very unusual prototype. Indeed, I found myself referring to http://www.lner.info/locos/R/r1.shtml to find out about its history. The proposed conversion of a steam locomotive to diesel-engined compressed air operation sounds an extraordinary combination of technologies. Although, come to think of it, you could argue that this -
- (Pic by me, Reddish, 1979) is actually a steam locomotive, since that is how - in general - electricity is generated.
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

If my 'reactionary' posts as a reply to Keiths have been deleted, may I ask that keiths posts may too be removed? As you said, neither are 'clearly' in the right, so why may his remain while mine may not?

David
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

A line has to be drawn unless I delete the entire thread. I don't like deleting posts, and with the gradual decline in the posts it is hard to define where the line should be drawn without appearing arbitrary (and making later posts look a little odd). Two warnings were issued. You chose to ignore the warnings. The location of these warnings is the least arbitrary point to draw the line - even if some previous posts may cross the line if they were to be posted now.

I do agree that some of Keithp's comments reflect badly on his business, so he may have second thoughts about them himself...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
keithp
GNR J52 0-6-0T

applegreen

Post by keithp »

You can delete my posts if you wish, I just don`t see why anyone should criticise ad lib from an uninformed position, after all you wouldnt go into a Model or any other shop and tell the owner that he has rubbish in his window just because you possess something which is in your opinion better, in certain parts of the country this would very likely result in unscheduled dental treatment and I can certify that it actually happened at one establishment ( not mine ) in Yorkshire.
My customers have been built up over the last 40 ( yes 40 ) years, most of them have large running layouts and reliabilty coupled with smooth mechanisms are most important , second to this comes brake gear and fiddly little parts but if this is specified it gets put on.
I was accused of being `unprofessional`in my approach to the posts, if being `professional` means that one has to sit and take jibes from uninformed individuals who think they have something to offer then I`m sorry, thats not the way I was brought up , Wandering hung himself , I provided the rope .
As I said earlier we build locos to customers specs, if something doesn`t have a certain feature it is because it wasn`t required, its all down to the buyer if he wants it then it goes on.
If people don`t want any of our offerings they don`t have to start an insult game , just pass on by like they would Dixons or M&S, its not a problem for us we have prders way into 2007, KeithP
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

uninformed position
Not at all. I have seen an apple green locomotive first-hand, and my opinion on the quality still stands.
Wandering hung himself , I provided the rope .
May I ask where this took place over the last 2 pages?

David
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Off list AppleGreen has told me that he won't be replying any further (he did this before Wandering1500's last comment, incidentally).

I can't see this thread achieving anything positive any longer, so it is now locked.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia