Ex NBR 0-4-0, LNER Y9

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Ex NBR 0-4-0, LNER Y9

Post by Daddyman »

I'm intermittently working on one of these myself, with the Branchlines chassis, and the Hornby tank and smokebox. Like the OP, I couldn't get any info about the bunker and firebox top area, so I went up to Bo'ness about a month ago and took roughly 100 photos of the loco from all angles (even one is too big to attach - any suggestions as to how I can get them to yous?). I also have the GA drawing (attached): it's not a great deal of use as it is not drawn to scale, and the cab is the older type, but it does give dimensions which you can use to guesstimate other dimensions if you get one of the many side-on photos. DO NOT, whatever you do, use the PDH drawing - absolute fiction, as I pointed out to him when I got my refund.

My dad has an exploded diagram of the loco which he says he got at the NRM years ago, and I could ask him to scan it, but my impression was that it was a bit too technical, with all the boiler pipes etc, which made it a bit confusing to use for modelling.

Alternatively, here are the measurements that I took at Bo'ness (I didn't measure everything, just the things I was struggling to work out from photos):

Plates sandwiching buffer beam wood: ¼ n inch.
Buffer beam wood (excluding aforementioned plates): 7 inches.
First bend in cabside: 3 inches above bunker beading.
Second bend in cabside: 6 inches above bunker beading.
Sandbox on top of bunker: 3 inches + 1 inch beading.
Footplate overhang to valence: 1 inch.
Footplate leftover beside bunker: 3 ½ inches.
Footplate valence depth: 4 ½ inches.
Front sandbox to footplate edge: 8 inches.
Width of bunker: 13 inches.
Front sandbox width: 13 inches.
Height of front sandbox: 14 ½ inches + 1 inch beading.
Front sandbox length: 17 inches.
Height of bunker: 35 inches.
Attachments
Y9_1.jpg
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Here are some drawings NB and Caley Pugs plus a Barclay 0-4-0 and Hunslet 0-6-0. The Hunslet makes a very interesting conversion from an Austerity 0-6-0.
Pugs.doc
(306.5 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

They look very good, Saint Johnstoun - wish I'd had them some years ago as they answer one of the questions that I trekked up to Bo'ness to see, viz, whether the safety valves are mounted on a base.
What's the source by the way?
There are just a couple of tiny faults: the front buffers on the NB version are the wrong shape, and the rear ones look a bit short; the back of the cab side sheets does not always (in fact, does not often) line up with the back of the bunker as shown (see the preserved loco for example); and (extreme nit-picking) the Caley example should have a different number of spokes from the NB version, as Alan Gibson pointed out to me (or maybe vice versa). I can't remember which has which number, but it's clear in the Donald Peddie book (whose title escapes me).
Many thanks for posting these all the same.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Yes, that looks like an interesting conversion. There's a finescale engine just waiting to come out of the Hornby "toy".

Seeing as there's no Y9 kit as such, the Branchlines packs are the only way to go.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Saint Johnstoun wrote:Here are some drawings NB and Caley Pugs plus a Barclay 0-4-0 and Hunslet 0-6-0. The Hunslet makes a very interesting conversion from an Austerity 0-6-0.
Pugs.doc
Have you got any more info on the tender truck that accompanies a couple of the drawings. I am just building a Connoisseur/Majestic models 7mm kit for an NBR tender truck but I am struggling to find any details more than those provided with the kit which are minimal.

Anything you have would be most appreciated.
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

There's an entry in the LNER Scottish Sectional Appendix about these locos -

DOCK SHUNTING ENGINES, Y9 CLASS.

Except when the small wooden tenders of Y9 engines are permanently secured to the engine by means of couplings bolted to the engine and tender, side chains are provided which must be coupled up when the engine and tender are running on the Main Line.

I take this to mean that some retained buffers and a 3 link coupling between Y9 and truck (and had to have side safety chains in use on the main line) and others had no buffers. The Green Guide is to me a little aracane on the subject.

Is my supposition correct? I had always assumed that the wagon was coupled conventionally, like the GW shunters' trucks, or the conflats coupled to 0-4-0DM shunters to activate TCs - in both these cases, the pairing was long-term.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Ex NBR 0-4-0, LNER Y9 drawing

Post by Horsetan »

Just to update this topic a little:

An old Y9 drawing has surfaced on the Google Images facility, so best download a copy for yourself whilst you can. Interesting that it popped up in the context of a discussion of a virtual version for a train simulator. It's a broadside (offside), plus a half plan view. Apart from the previously mentioned weight diagram, I have not seen another drawing showing the front and rear aspects.

It will need some reduction to get down to 4mm scale (or as near as possible).

In terms of wheels, AGW produces two types in the correct diameter, but they are 8-spoke, pin-between, 12in throw, if you are building one to the original Neilson spec, i.e. as per the preserved "Kelton Fell", or 12-spoke, in line, 10in throw if you are building the CR "264".

There are currently no correct wheels for the Y9, which are 10-spoke, pin between. The Google drawing - to my eyes - suggests a 10in throw.

:idea: Incidentally, at ExpoEM, Chris Gibbon / High Level ran out of printer paper for his handheld card reader machine, so he took out the leftover plastic core from the paper roll and gave it to me. I discovered by accident that it is almost the correct diameter for the Y9 boiler, so you could use a section of it to glue underneath the Hornby saddle tank (needs shortening by about 8mm!), and a further section to replace the firebox top, to give the model a bit of bulk. I've sawn out a 4mm section either side of the existing dome to try to attain the correct length tank. The water filler will need repositioning.

I also picked up a Branchlines chassis etch for it at ExpoEM - it looks nice and simple.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

A very late bump for this old thread, but it seems Modelmaster have plans to produce a resin Y9 body kit - not sure if this will actually come to fruition or not, but is there a market for 50 Y9s?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Since Modelmaster have announced plans to wind down production (he's planning to stand for Parliament), I shouldn't hold my breath.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:05 pm Since Modelmaster have announced plans to wind down production (he's planning to stand for Parliament), I shouldn't hold my breath.
Will he be standing as an Independent? Or a Scottish Independent?

"Ayr" on the side of caution?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

"'m standing as an official candidate at the Scottish

Parliamentary Election early in 2021, so whether

or not I become an M.S.P., (50/50!!) Elspeth

and I will NOT be producing any new,

or restocking any existing, decals

or etched nameplates from now on.

It's a good time to stop.

Neither will there be any huge

discount offers in order to 'get rid'

of what we have - it'll sell out in its

own time. All outstanding orders

will be fulfilled, and MODELMASTER

and our website at modelmaster.uk is

certainly NOT closing down! "

From this RMWeb thread, page 2: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... er-delays/
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 pm...From this RMWeb thread, page 2: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... er-delays/
Oh Christ! :lol:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Latest blurb from Modelmaster.

https://modelmaster.uk/

In case anybody is unaware . Do not buy anything from this "Business". There are numerous complaints on the internet re Non Delievery , Ignoring all messages from all sources, and never refunding money owed by them to customers.

Please remember you only have 6 months to make a claim via Paypal for non delievery. No idea re Credit Card claims, for the period allowed by them for such claims.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

mick b wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:06 pm Latest blurb from Modelmaster.

In case anybody is unaware . Do not buy anything from this "Business". There are numerous complaints on the internet re Non Delievery , Ignoring all messages from all sources, and never refunding money owed by them to customers.

Please remember you only have 6 months to make a claim via Paypal for non delievery. No idea re Credit Card claims, for the period allowed by them for such claims.
I don't think even Paypal will touch them, Mick, from what was been said on the S4 forum.

Just in case anyone has paid for Modelmaster products and then been left high and dry, unable to contact him, I do have an alternative phone number from an invoice dated May 2022, which might be worth trying: 07795 499 405.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Daddyman wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:04 am
mick b wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:06 pm Latest blurb from Modelmaster.

I don't think even Paypal will touch them, Mick, from what was been said on the S4 forum.

Just in case anyone has paid for Modelmaster products and then been left high and dry, unable to contact him, I do have an alternative phone number from an invoice dated May 2022, which might be worth trying: 07795 499 405.

David

He even had the nerve on his lastest nonsense post to admit that Paypal were charging him £24 per failed to supply claim and I also believe Paypal have finally banned him.Sadly they should have picked up on the amount of claims against him, much earlier.

Sad how it has all ended up , he phoned me once at home 5 or more years ago on a Sunday, re a nameplates order, and was very pleasant and helpful.

Cheers , hope all good with you.

Mick