Ex NBR 0-4-0, LNER Y9

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Ex NBR 0-4-0, LNER Y9

Post by Bill Bedford »

52D wrote:Are you the Bill Bedford at Matlock Station?.
No, I'm this Bill Bedford http://www.mousa.uk.com
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Sorry everyone, I have just deleted the photo I posted last week of the Y5.
I just visited:
http://gallery62603.fotopic.net/
(Mike Morant's collection) and discovered the picture there under "LNER and predecessors' motive power". I've had the picture so long I've forgotten where I got it, but Mike obviously has the negative and I don't want to infringe on copyright issues if I can possibly help it.
Please accept my apologies Mike, and my apologies to everyone else for the posting.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Thanks to Malcolm for the pictures and St Johnston for sending me a couple of drawings via a PM. Does anyone know Bob Rowland of Leith Citadel model fame or have an email address for him as i would like to compare notes.
Does anyone have a current email address for 51L models as my email keeps returning saying address not found.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
BobRowlands
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BobRowlands »

The Y9 was converted from a Hornby Caley Pug. I used a Branchlines chassis and a DS10 motor. The tender was a white metal NB Wagon from 51L Models suitably modified. Loco cab was made from plasticcard. The loco was shortened to fit chassis. I used an old stovepipe chimney from an old GE loco. I think it was a Steven Poole one.I used photographs to make the model as I could not find any plans so it may not be dimensionally correct. I made it in 2006 for use on my new Bonnington Goods layout which will be at Warley this year. I think that Falcon brass made a kit of the Y9 a few years ago.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hi Bob have you any pics of it. I am interested in how you modelled the safety valve and tank filler. Do you have dimensions of dumb buffers. St Johnston sent me a couple of line drawings. I am going the same way as you regards tender.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
BobRowlands
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BobRowlands »

The filler was the original Hornby and the saftey valves are just 2 plastic tubes.I used photographs from Railway Bylines which done articles on Y9 s in May/June 2000. The buffer are from wood scraps with plasticcard faces I guessed the sizes. In Railway Bylines June 2000 issue is a photograph of West Bowling Street Crossing which I will be featuring on my new layout. I hope to change my model to 68119 which is featured in the photo,I will have to change the chimney. I hope to have Bonnington in the Railway Modeller later this year or early next year.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I collected a few Y9 photos but the safety valves are not clear in any of them and also there seems to be a number of different chimneys and the tank filler is positioned behind the dome in all the pics ive got. Thanks for Bylines tip ive got May 2000 but not June and am just about to look through it.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Progress report firstly a thank you to all who have contributed, especially Malcolm for pics and St Johnston for Drawings. I have filed off and removed unwanted detail such as tank filler, safety valves and buffers. The cab is roughly cut out and partially filed. I have been down to Marcway models and bought a suitable sheet of plasticard and some tubing for roof supports. While in Marcway they came up with some handrail knobs so i have it all except safety valves tank filler and a suitable chimney.
I will post pics when i get software hooked to this pc.
BTW were any Y9s ever allocated to Haymarket.
BobRowlands
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BobRowlands »

I will be at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition in 2009 and I will be exhibiting my new layout of Bonnington goods. I will be using the Y9 on it. I am also writing some articles on building Bonnington . The articles will be in the Railway Modeller later on this year and the finished layout will be in probably be featured the December issue. If any one wants to see the Y9 at the show I will be pleased to show it to them .
39ATank
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by 39ATank »

Bob,

I realise it's quite some time since your last post about the Y9, but would be grateful for info on where and when Bonnington Goods may be appearing next. Also where might I find articles on the loco and layout?
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Please 52D, do post some pics! I think this conversion could be the sort of low-risk low-expense confidence-booster I need to have a go myself. If successful it'll be years before I graduate to attempting the more ambitious stuff so admirably achieved by other members, but a Y9......
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ive come to a bit of a pause with this one, regarding dumb buffers and other fitments. I was hoping to get Atlantic interested but he has loads on at the moment. I keep finding things that need altering and lack Atlantics skills so i was hoping he might make the required castings to make this novices job a bit easier.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Bill Bedford wrote:
52D wrote:Are you the Bill Bedford at Matlock Station?.
No, I'm this Bill Bedford http://www.mousa.uk.com
*cue Kirk Douglas-style scenario as everyone stands up to claim "I'm Bill Bedford"*
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

52D wrote:I was hoping to get Atlantic interested
I am still trying to bear this project in mind.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
52D wrote:I was hoping to get Atlantic interested
I am still trying to bear this project in mind.......
Dont worry about time, you have enough on your plate at the moment with the Pacifics and Arthur/Hunt conversions i wonder if a suitable body moulding could be made by Bill Bedford. It would still require cylinders, dumb buffers and owners choice of chimney as there were quite a few different varieties used.
Another point i have noticed is the backhead projects a fair way back into the cab presumably to clear the rear of the motor. I feel a trip to Boness with my tape to confirm cab dimensions. St J did a drawing for me ages ago but it lacks detail in the cab.