N Gauge Rolling Stock

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jammie667
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

N Gauge Rolling Stock

Post by Jammie667 »

Does anybody know where i might be able to find some mainline coaches in the traditional teak finish :?: i have two at the moment from my childhood and am trying to get back into modelling so i want to expand my collection. also, is there any chance that traditional pullman coaches would be acceptable? :?
Also, i currently have a general purpose tank in LNER livery, but my girlfriend dropped it and the funnel has broken off and been sucked up the hoover, does anyone know where i could find a replacement, or know anywhere that i could get it fixed besides farish/bachmann?

Cheers :D
James :)

God Save The Steam!
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi.

On the chimney front you could try N Gauge Lines at www.ngaugelines.co.uk. or try the N gauge society web-site. Or if you can wait until Easter they will be at the York Model Railway show - along with other N gauge traders.

Andy
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome to the forums Jammie667!

Coaches: Farish produced some teaks but to their generic hybrid "Grouping Era" body.
Minitrix produced some good ones, but they've been out of production for a few years and command high prices on EBay.

A few weeks ago Dapol announced that they were going to produce "Gresley" coaches before the end of the year. So these will be authentic LNER coaches - not the generic efforts that Farish used to sell.
They have yet to decide on the initial livery (there is or was a poll on their website), but they will eventually produce them in Teak, Blood&Custard, and Maroon.
I'll be buying an entire rake of Teaks and a few blood&custards when they come out :-)

The GP Tank doesn't have the greatest reputation re. running ability. You might find a spare body, or a 'dead' engine (ie. donor body) on EBay at a good price.
Otherwise N Gauge lines as mentioned by Andy is a good place for your Farish parts.

For small LNER tank engines, there's the J94 although it is usually sold in BR rather than LNER liveries these days. Its the same chassis as the Class 08. For its size and vintage, it runs quite well if you keep the wheels clean and avoid insulfrog points.

For larger engines, the V2 is a big step up from the older Farish. Runs smoothly, but is anaemic when attached to realistic loads. Also there's an annoying 'skirt' around the base of the boiler.

Union Mills also produce LNER, but with relatively short production runs they sell out quickly.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Jammie667
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Jammie667 »

cheers both of you. to be fair my GP tank has always run well, even now after it has been boxed up for 6 years. needas cleaning but apart from that i've never had a problem.

can't wait for dapol to start production on those coaches, will be investing in many for my flying scotsman. I was thinking of getting a farish V2, although my local shop is pricey compared to some prices i've seen in railway modeller, and if it isn't that good when pulling realistic trains, i might be inclined not to bother.

I also have a J94, but it is NCB blue, i suppose it would be possible to re-paint, but i have not tried this before, so results may be interesting haha :lol:

will check out n gauge lines to see if they can help, otherwise it'll be in the post to farish for pricey fixing lol.
James :)

God Save The Steam!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

For the V2, I hear that the tender pickups are a bit tight. I need to adjust mine, but haven't tried them yet. Even though it is anaemic, the slow running does make it look better than the A3 when running. Also the detailing and printing make it a big step up from the A3.

The teaks will look marvellous with both the A3 and the V2. When they come out, I doubt I'll be able to avoid buying an A4 :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

The V2 is a huge step up, and I went backwards with Flying Scotsman.
In terms of running abilities, and the moulding, although be warned it has a plastic body, thus making it lighter, and less weight for traction.
It does however, come apart a lot easier than the older ones, all you do is unclip the tender, then the trailing wheels, and take the screw out of the cab, then remove the controls, then the body just slides off.
It has as Richard says the Tender pickups, and not like an old Scotsman I got off Ebay (I want to convert this, and now has a semi non corridor tender, just need to fill the holes in!) this had a wire between, and it came off the tender!
It's one of the better ones I have in my (small) fleet, and I want a (cheep) second one to convert the name and number to 4818.
Morrays models are quite cheep http://www.moraysmodels.co.uk/ and they'll re name/number it, although after filling out thier online form (Twice) they haven't got back to me! They sell it at £66 with £3.75 postage)

Hope this helps
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but...

Does anyone know where to find LNER stuff in N. (Apart from Farnish stuff). I'm planning on joining the local N Scale club.
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Union Mills only sell direct. Range of locomotives in LNER, and an increasing number of LMS. Short production runs. Relatively simple designs (eg. no external valve gear, simple liveries). Good haulage abilities. As of a couple of weeks ago I think he had J11s, J38s, and J39s in stock.
Contact details:

Union Mills Models,
Unit 5, Union Mills Trading Estate,
Braddan,
Isle of Man
IM4 4AB
Tel. +44 1624 852896

The N world has a lot of cottage industries. Shows will be attended by many of these, but the N Gauge Society has its own shop that stocks most of them:

http://ngaugesociety.com/index.htm

Excellent for detailing parts, decals, wagon kits, etc. They also have their own wagon kits.

Dapol don't have much LNER at the moment. They sell from their website as well as the usual mail order dealers. I think their NER and NBR GPVs might be the only LNER, but they have Gresley coaches due before the end of the year (Maroon livery first, then teak & blood+custard at later dates).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

With shows like yours, I wish I didn't live on the bottom of the world.

I do have a place where I can pick up relitivly cheap stuff, and it does have a lot of LNER. Never really checked N until recently.

A bit off topic, but didn't Dapol make an N guage TARDIS?
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm in Texas, so I also have to get British N from other sources - eg. the N Gauge society. Our Shows are almost 100% US stuff with a small amount of Continental European at the bigger shows.

Dapol did use to make some Dr Who stuff but I think it was much larger.

My N gauge Tardis came from Langley. Whitemetal, needed painting. I drilled a hole and added a blue LED for the light. (I had to make my own "ramp" circuit to get the right effect).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia