Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Another B5 moment, P2 News

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

With the "Little Bytham goes 1930s" event fast approaching, it's wagons galore on my workbench at present, for checking, servicing, preparation and renovation as required.All of the following images show wagons that don't normally appear on Grantham at shows because we are so well-off for goods stock to cover the trains that Grantham requires. Little Bytham however has rather more capacious fiddle yards...
Thanks to the extreme generosity of a good friend, this tray full of wagons that he built or owned is now mine, and there's an additional LNER 20 ton steel loco coal wagon, yet another GNR 8 wheel goods brake and an RTR ICI salt wagon to add to those.
STA70978.JPG
Of this group of four PO coal wagons, the two East Midlands items duplicate some that I already have but were picked up economically "largely built" a few years ago and have been waiting for me to get on with the job. The other two are from my usual stock.
STA70981.JPG
This clutch of old 3H LNER and LMS opens came to me via a certain Mr Oliver, the LNER ones being almost ready to use but the LMS ones needing various replacement buffers, brake gear and couplings along with a proper paint job - including turning the clock back to the grey livery period on a couple of them. It didn't take much effort to cover the incredibly thin streaky bauxite coat applied by the original builder.
STA70983.JPG
This mixture of vehicles including the fairly generic Weltrol with giant packing case is from my spare stock.
STA70982.JPG
This group of six vans was part of a trade with John White and includes an interesting early LNER unfitted van from a kit that appears considerably crisper than the old 3H versions of the same van that stand either side of it. It has been tentatively identified as an Ian Kirk kit, hence I have lightly scribed the underside of the floor to that effect, but somebody may subsequently tell me that it is from another source. Opinions or information are welcome.
STA70985.JPG
STA70986.JPG
STA70987.JPG
STA70988.JPG
STA70989.JPG
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Atlantic's works: Wagons galore

Post by Darryl Tooley »

Ian Kirk. The rendition of the sliding door is distinctively wrong at the bottom edge.

D
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A very nice fleet of wagons, but I'm wondering if Tony is starting to regret his decision to go LNER for the day, with all his stock having to be removed from his layout.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Darryl Tooley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:56 pm Ian Kirk. The rendition of the sliding door is distinctively wrong at the bottom edge.

D
Interesting point of confirmation. Thanks.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

manna wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm G'Day Gents

A very nice fleet of wagons, but I'm wondering if Tony is starting to regret his decision to go LNER for the day, with all his stock having to be removed from his layout.

manna
He certainly has a lot to remove, store and then return to the layout!

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Don't forget to take your camera... :mrgreen:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Good point! I'll endeavour to take one, but I'm not automatically expecting to have time and opportunities to use it as I might wish. I suspect I may be too busy helping to set up and run the trains that are to be filmed / photographed, and if we all want to take pictures we won't get very far with the running. There will be a very good photographer or two at the event anyway, and I'm sure pictures will be shared.

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I'm pretty sure Tony will have an old Instamatic hiding somewhere :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
crunchie48
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by crunchie48 »

Good evening Graeme, I would think it’s a bit of a long shot but do you still had that 1 remaining Bugatti nose available? I’m actually after 2 but happy with anything that’s available. Many thanks Tom

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:13 am Hello Al,

Thanks for your enquiry. Do you have an ID over on RMweb? If you are an established user of RMWeb it will be much easier for me to send you the necessary details via a private exchange of e-mail addresses through the RMWeb private message system. As a new user of LNER Encyclopaedia you'll be temporarily unable to use the PM system on here and it's not a good idea for use to start posting our e-mail addresses on the public forum.

The short answer re: Bugatti nose availability at present is that one of the original batch of castings remains. Providing that there's no deadline to meet, I can certainly produce more castings when time permits. Earl Marischal original body front castings are also still available.

Graeme
crunchie48
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by crunchie48 »

Good morning Graeme,

Tried postin this last night without success. Do you still have the remaining Bugatti kit please? I’m really hoping for 2 as I would love to do 2. One for me and one for my dad. I want to do Meg to go with 86401 which I arranged to get called Mons Meg as it was the only P2 name that hadn’t transferred onto an AC electric.

Thanks
Tom
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:18 pm More or less drawing to a close the long-running saga of the creation of my own P2 models, here are the three members of the band with their Teloc speed recorder drives (prototypically minus the presumably vital return cranks) now painted up, awaiting eventual subtle weathering if and when time starts being kinder to me:

STA70964 lnerf.jpgSTA70966 lnerf.jpgSTA70971 lnerf.jpg

And just to show that nothing ever remains perfect (not that it ever was perfect in this case) this image reveals that careful and thorough over varnishing of the lining transfers has failed to prevent early flaking away of some of the white component of the edge lining on 2003's cab...
Teloc & lining sm.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks for the message Tom, I'll check but I've a feeling that I need to cast some more Bugatti noses before anybody can have one. Jobs to do are queuing up at present and this warm weather makes the casting of anything as large and complex as a Bugatti P2 nose impractical anyway - the resin goes off far too quickly. But don't despair, I'm happy to do some more when the weather cools down and when I can find a gap between other demands on my time.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Just to confirm, I do need to cast more parts as none suitable are in stock at present. If the security measures for this forum are allowing you to receive private messages yet, you'll find more information awaiting you in a PM. If you cannot yet get access, try posting a few more contributions to the forum and the PM system should then open up for you.

crunchie48
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by crunchie48 »

Thanks Graeme. Fairly new to the forum and apologies that I’ve ended up with 2 messages. I don’t seem to be able to send messages yet. Hopefully soon. Regards Tom

quote="Atlantic 3279" post_id=128366 time=1533491398 user_id=1222]
Just to confirm, I do need to cast more parts as none suitable are in stock at present. If the security measures for this forum are allowing you to receive private messages yet, you'll find more information awaiting you in a PM. If you cannot yet get access, try posting a few more contributions to the forum and the PM system should then open up for you.
[/quote]
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Those with long memories and nothing better to do with their time may recall that six years ago I built an interpretation of the heavy mineral loco design that Baldwin loco works proposed to the GCR management shortly before the Great War. Livery application on my model never got beyond plain black with basic ownership insignia. I could perhaps get away with leaving it at that, claiming either that the loco was unsuitable for the normal GC goods loco lined livery or that the plain black was a likely wartime economy - although the war was probably one very good reason that the loco was never built!
As an alternative to the excuses, I've only recently been considering ways to create the red-white-black-white-red GCR boiler band lining for black locos. The HMRS lining for LNER green locos gives some assistance in the matter, but a very simple trial showed that it was hopelessly difficult to place a broader red band on the loco and then to try to put the white-black-white accurately down the middle! The backing paper for the HMRS lining simply isn't sufficiently transparent to reveal alignment, well enough, until it is thoroughly soaked and about to detach from the transfer. Modelmaster / Kemco waterslide white-black-white might be useable but the balance of widths of the white and black lines isn't so nice as it is on the HMRS product.

What I've tried as my next experiment is the initial application of the white-black-white HMRS lining to a layer of red-painted sellotape on a piece of glass. A really sharp blade can then be used to trim the tape close to the edges of the lining, and providing a continuous clean cut has been achieved a thin strip of tape-plus-lining can then be peeled from the glass with extreme care and applied to the model. A piece of red-painted waterslide transfer paper might also act as a carrier in lieu of the sticky tape. I'm not sure whether to try to go ahead with full lining using this technique as it is very difficult to trim the strips to just the right width. Too wide and the red lining appears far too heavy and dominant. Too narrow and the red doesn't show up convincingly. Unevenly trimmed it just looks a mess!

The only piece that got as far as the model is shown in the images below. If others have opinions on the result (which would have to be toned down by weathering of course), or have better ideas, or know of a ready made answer to the GCR goods lining problem I'd be glad to hear.
Lining test 1.JPG
Lining test 2.JPG

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: Atlantic's works: GCR goods loco lining?

Post by Manxman1831 »

This is my take on a similar train of thought - the Lanky equivalent of the Baldwin. Used Paint and Word to produce my own set of transfers for the lining and numbering. Lettering is from the ever-faithful HMRS supplies.
Attachments
L&Y businessend resize.JPG
L&Y tenderside.JPG
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.