Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Atlantic's works: GNR ballast brake, or break.

Post by notascoobie »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:51 pm
notascoobie wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:27 pm
Hello Vern,

I'm glad you've dodged the plague so far. That 7mm model looks lovely in GNR livery. I see you've adopted the suggestion that the ends may have been red, as per one of the picture captions in Super-Tatlow part 1. I'm lucky as I don't have to make that decision for LNER livery, although I'm curious to know why the van ends in the relevant photograph appear pale when the common problem with old photographs is that reds look virtually black. Maybe the photographer made extravagant use of the (more costly?) better grade of photo-emulsion when taking a picture of a lowly engineer's van?

I have the pleasure instead of trying to decide what shade of blue to use, although it will probably end up being exactly the same Humbrol colour, a medium-dark slightly greyish blue (resembling Oxford Blue I believe) that was used on the two ballast wagons I have. I'm happy to imagine that the pale tone seen in some monochromatic images of even the newly painted engineer's vehicles arises from the same quirk of wavelength-selective emulsion sensitivity that leads to the falsely dark rendition of reds in many prints.

Looks like all bets are off regarding exhibitions until at least the second half of next year. Perhaps I'll see you then?
Hi Graeme,

Apologies for the tardy response.

One of the things that strikes me when viewing old photos of pre-grouping stock is just how shabby much of the goods stock is, especially when compared to the gleaming locos and carriages. I reckon that the washed out appearance of some stock is due to the use of paints that were not colour fast. But then again I might be way off!

I'm hoping you've avoided the apocalypse to date. Fingers crossed we can hang on until they jab us. Just don't hold your breath. I've been told that the GOG has cancelled their next shows at Bristold and Kettering. I believe that the EMGS is about to decide about next year's EXPO. Even with an optimistic mind, next year's exhibition calendar looks like a fairly bleak prospect.

Happily, staying at home and avoiding everybody is now seen as a virtue and not anti-social. So, stay at home, avoid everybody and keep modelling!

Vernon
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The weak Oxford Blue paint is looking much more even after a third light coat and it wasn't at all difficult to mask the body in such a way as to be able to paint the stepboards and nether ironwork quickly with an aerosol. I had to put a scrap paper floor in the van while I sprayed of course. Other little bits have been brush painted too.
I think Mick's comment about the challenge of sticking the roof on correctly was probably well founded. The pre-curved plastic supplied in the kit was (for once) a bit too curved for the main section of the roof, and I suspect it would have wanted to bulge up in the middle had I simply tried to stick it on. I used Geoff Kent's cold-curving method to un-do the curvature a bit, so that it sat correctly in a relatively flat curve, but I wondered if it would stay like that, so I also filed four ribs to the correct curvature and stuck these to the underside of the roof.
I've cut the glazing material, in readiness, in such a way that (I hope) the curve-topped pieces for the look out can be stuck in place using glue on the areas below the visible apertures, and further braced by the upward extensions of the side-glazing pieces which should fit reasonably tightly between the ends of the glued pieces. I arranged the fold-over glazing clips inside the van with that approach in mind, so I may not need any glue for the side glazing.
DSCN0188.JPG
Those additional woody-coloured pieces lying to the right are meant to form the side, and some of the top, of the guard's seat, if I'm able to get them into the right place once the rest of the interior is permanently installed.
Oddly enough, I think this model needs to have transfers and weathering before final assembly if I want to avoid having to mask the windows, as I always apply muck by spraying...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Looking good :D
Whose is the Oxford blue - is it Phoenix's?
Chas
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Humbrol 104.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Oh - interesting, thank you - I shall get some and see what it's like. A bit of variety would be good, so that all my departmental stock isn't quite so uniform...
Chas
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Enamel of course...

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Yep, thought you meant that :)
Chas
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As evidence that I have not simply been sitting here painting my nails this last week, here's a glimpse of something afoot (or achassis) relating to that A5 tank engine. My chassis includes some unconventional / experimental features which you'll only get to see if I succeed in making it all work. The reasons for taking an odd approach included the fact that I didn't want a highly visible motor in the cab, and the only way to put a big motor in a hidden position would involve hacking out pieces within the body that the original builder ought to have taken out at an earlier stage when access was far better. I was also keen, as ever, do do a cheap job using things I already have...
DSCN0192.JPG

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:48 pm As evidence that I have not simply been sitting here painting my nails this last week, here's a glimpse of something afoot (or achassis) relating to that A5 tank engine. My chassis includes some unconventional / experimental features which you'll only get to see if I succeed in making it all work. The reasons for taking an odd approach included the fact that I didn't want a highly visible motor in the cab, and the only way to put a big motor in a hidden position would involve hacking out pieces within the body that the original builder ought to have taken out at an earlier stage when access was far better. I was also keen, as ever, do do a cheap job using things I already have...
DSCN0192.JPG
Sounds very intriguing, looking forward to more details.
Hope you have time to paint your nails next week instead... :wink:
Chas
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The odd mechanism works, following a little initial difficulty in setting correct clearances in the gears, so I shall post pictures as soon as I can.

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

And here's me thinking you were painting your toe nails as well..................
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Like the A5, looking forward to seeing the chassis.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Dave wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 pm And here's me thinking you were painting your toe nails as well..................
Thanks for the reminder. I always forget those.

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Dave wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 pm And here's me thinking you were painting your toe nails as well..................
You should see his eyelash extensions :lol:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

How nice of you to notice. I didn't know you cared.