Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: A5 tank engine with two small motors

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Pebbles wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:46 am Does anyone knew where to get 6ft 6inch x 6ft 6inch coupling rods from? I know that Gibson doesn't do them.
Besides the Gibson universals there is another answer of a sort to this question. When I was considering ways to build a chassis for the A5, I remembered that I'd bought an extra South Eastern Finecast A2 chassis etch, for not a lot of money, about ten years ago when I converted a Bachmann Peppercorn A1 to an A2 for John White. I had the idea that I might use the 6' 6" + 6' 6" rods from that, along with a section of each frame including its conveniently etched axle holes, exactly matching the crankpin hole spacing in the rods.

As it happened, when I wanted to start the A5 chassis project I couldn't find the spare A2 etch! Some time after I'd wheeled up my scratch-built chassis and fitted my adapted rods I located the spare A2 etch (of course) but then realised that I had stolen the rods from it several years ago anyway, in order to build my neverwazzer Bulleid 2-8-2...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
BarryO
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BarryO »

How are the pick ups going Mr King?
Richard i
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Richard i »

I only have one question. Why?
And I will accept that you do two motors.......because You can.
Richard
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

BarryO wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:58 pm How are the pick ups going Mr King?
Hi Baz! So far so good, thanks!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Richard i wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:59 pm I only have one question. Why?
And I will accept that you do two motors.......because You can.
Richard
Well, why not?

More seriously, I could have gone for just one small motor, rather than have a big motor in the cab and rather struggle to cut away the internal supports of the Belpaire firebox without damaging the body so that I could hide a big motor in the boiler. It would have been handy, as I implied previously, if the original builder of the body had taken out those supports while he had good access, but he didn't.
So why not just one small motor? Well I thought it might leave the loco fairly gutless for its size, hence two motors seemed worth a try!

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:48 am You have me at a disadvantage there. You'll have to explain further...
Jack Newton is the fella who, in the 1970s, built a twin-motored chassis for a BR 9F. Impressive, but the idea didn't really catch on....
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Jack Newton "Model Railway News" September 1963.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That was the Jack Newton that I found too, hence I couldn't quite see the relevance...

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Pebbles wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:24 am Jack Newton "Model Railway News" September 1963.
Aha, it was earlier than I thought!
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

In an earlier edition of MRN Jack Newton described his building of a rebuilt Southern LIght Pacific. But of course 50 odd years ago you got such articles! and more loco and carriage drawings.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Did Pebbles see my comment about the possible source of 6' 6" + 6' 6" etched coupling rods, above, and in his PM?

Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:48 am Did Pebbles see my comment about the possible source of 6' 6" + 6' 6" etched coupling rods, above, and in his PM?
What do you wish me to say? It would seem to be somewhat extravagant to buy a complete etch just for a couple of parts - leaving as you found, with an incomplete etch that can often be mislaid. Your original posting appeared to indicate that you possibly knew where to obtain separate coupling rods, and my question was posted on that basis. As Dave Ellis - who I have known for some thirty years - is now involved with the Nu-Cast partnership he may be in a position/willing to have etch those originally provided in the Nu-Cast A5 kit. I am aware however aware that Dave has hands full for the present and I can't see this happening. However, very many thanks for your comments and obvious concern.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Was simply checking that you'd seen the message. Obviously, that A2 etch wouldn't be a good source unless one were desperate and it still happened to be quite inexpensive.

Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all well.

My aspergers may be clouding my thinking here but if I may ask, how can a loco work well with 2 motors.

It made me wonder because if the coupling rods are articulated as they are on a 9F I cannot seem to grasp how the motors would work well together without twisting or breaking the rods. I think this would also have been the case with the 9F mentioned a few posts back unless the rods were all 1 piece with no articulation but then the loco would be severely limited in what it could do I would say.

I did try a twin motored steam loco back 14 years ago when I fitted a tender drive A1/3 with a grey drive cog commonly used with X03/4 motors in addition to the tender drive motor..

Wiring them was a bit complex at 1st with it being my 1st attempt at such a project but I managed to get it working even with extra weight added.

The trial runs went very well until the windings on the X03/4 motor snapped causing it to grind to a halt derailing over 1/2 the 14 coach train it was hauling but before that happened, the loco's haulage ability was a significant improvement over a single motor.

Since then, my only twin motored models now are a 25Kv loco and a Pullman coach fitted with 2 motors in the middle of a 7 coach unit and a fictional 2-10-0 + 0-10-2 Garrett loco.

I have also been trying to work out how I could build something like a big boy loco as if it was a british outline loco but the drive system for such a loco has me stumped, any advice on this more than welcome.