Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Track laying progress & a free loco!

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That may be one of the consequences of the distinction between playing about with resin casting small scale as I do, and actually trying to make a living from the activity as others perhaps have to.

Anyway, phases two and three of the attempt to give the Barnums a teak finish to a reasonable match with the previously built pair and with my other teak stock:
Phase 2, upper in image - thinly brushed (in grain directions) coat (not quite a dry coat) of Humbrol 133 satin brown over the previous, dried, 'whitened rust' spray coat, allowing the coverage to be translucent and slightly uneven.
Phase 3, lower in image- - over the dried 133 brown, tiny amounts of Humbrol gloss yellow 69 on the bristle tips only, brushed out in grain directions almost to dryness, to cover whole surface thinly and unevenly, brushing firmly (almost scrubbing where necessary) to ensure that the rapidly drying tiny amount of paint all ends up thin and translucent without densely yellow streaks or patches.
IMG_20220718_123907.jpg
The next stage / stages will be to brush on a mixture of mostly satin varnish coloured by a lesser amount of Precision Teak Brown. The number of coats and any "corrective" additional tints will have to be determined by observation...
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

i much prefer the Teak shade on the bottom Coach.

Very nice.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Neither colour is correctly reproduced in that image on my screen. The lower example, showing the third phase of the process, looks much yellower in reality and will certainly need the brown-tinted final varnish layers.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

They're looking very good Graeme. I look forward to seeing the final finished coaches. I might even decide to get some myself. I've not seen any mention of price anywhere. Are you able to share that info?
Andrew
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Both looking rather good there Graeme. Teak'ing is a great skill to have and I wish I was better at it!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks for both comments. As to price, I believe I saw public mention of £70 each on "the other channel" a few days ago, so I assume it is no secret, and that's what I paid in mid-May. I certainly would not normally contemplate paying anything like that amount of money for a carriage, but:

1. These are of a type not otherwise (readily) available, and are exactly the type I've long had in mind (albeit not as a priority) to complete "a set".
2. They are nicely detailed (better features than my existing pair in some ways).
3. They appeared on side-by-side comparison to be of sufficiently matching sizes, proportions and "modelling style" and therefore capable of being finished to be compatible with my Jidenco versions, and..
4. I've grown tired of long, fiddly stock-building exercises and these were supplied to me with the main elements almost fully assembled, saving me a lot of time that would otherwise have to be spent on no more than a repeat-building exercise that would not give me any extra satisfaction (even if, after later thought, I did some partial dismantling to allow me to make some changes).

Hence, in this case, I accepted the expenditure as a very, very rare exception to my "How much!? You must be joking" rule.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The colour rendering in the attached image, taken in evening light boosted by halogen kitchen lighting, is disappointing, but I'm actually quite pleased with the real result of the the first coat of my teak-tinted satin varnish on the carriage body. It isn't all the way there yet, but I'm fairly optimistic that a second coat will produce a very near match to the "teak" on the older, completed Barnum model in the top of the view. The hue of the brown seems to be heading the right way.
I've also done more to the interior, guided by notes in Dow's "Great Central" Vol3. The partitions, the table tops and the seat ends/frames are now in a shade that is an attempt to suggest varnished mahogany, mostly a mixture of Humbrol gloss 10 dark brown and Humbrol gloss 20 dark red, with a lesser amount of Precision teak added too (more so for the table tops). All rather vague ratios and most un-scientific...
The (winter?) seat upholstery is a sort of dusky/dusty pink, or brownish pink, created with an initial 2:1 mixture of Humbrol 153 (some sort of red) and Humbrol 187 'dark stone', with small additions of gloss 20 dark red and very little black. The final colour is not massively different from the Halfords red primer coat, just a bit less red. I had originally tried dry stippling a buff, beige or stone colour over the red primer to suggest some sort of floral pattern in a generally dull red-brown overall tone, like many an old-fashioned settee, but that promised to take ages and initial results did not impress me, so I thought I'd just mix the colours together. I doubt that it will show much in darker interior of the fully assembled coach anyway.
IMG_20220719_195758.jpg
Dow also mentioned possible alternative Rattan seats for summer in the Barnums. The seats in my older Barnums are that sort of beige colour, and the table tops teak brown which I now think may be wrong. I'll have to decide later whether I can be bothered to darken the table tops, even if I leave the seats alone.

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Looking excellent Graeme! Interested you mentioned teak-tinted varnish: is that the Ronseal Interior one? I've had great results with that but it takes some getting used to. It does offer a colouring tool that's quite different from ordinary paint. It allows some fascinating effects, a bit like mixing gloss varnish and paint, which I also plan to try in due course.
Last edited by Chas Levin on Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chas
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Excellent work as usual Mr King.

If you get to Thirsk are you going to bring them with you to show JW and me.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Long ago I was using the teak varnish from the two-pot Dulux "Brushwood" range, until that ceased to be available. I still had some of the the "antique pine" from the same range but the colour in that wasn't dense/dark enough to give the results I wanted over my "very thin yellow" intermediate coat. Sometimes, even with several coats of the antique pine varnish, I felt the need to apply either a thinly dry-brushed additional brown paint coat (or a thin wash of the same) to deepen and adjust the tone before yet another varnish coat. That was far too time consuming, frustrating, and risked too much build up of paint/varnish on/in/around details. Hence I had a re-think, tried out some ideas on some test patches, and found that by mixing about 2 parts Railmatch satin varnish and 1 part (or more) Precision teak paint I arrived at a coloured "varnish" that was sufficiently coloured to suppress the yellow in only a couple of coats while still allowing subtle variations to show through, as well as adding a few further variations in the colour. That's what I now use routinely as my "teak tinted varnish", although I ought to find a better short name for it, since it isn't at all transparent like a true tinted varnish, instead being quite opaque as seen in the pot, but translucent or virtually transparent when applied in thin coats.

I have it in mind to bring the coaches along to Thirsk Dave, no matter what state they may be in at that time, along with some of the other stuff I've nailed together in the last couple of years.

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Oh - that's very interesting. I should have realised you already using a home-made and customised version. That makes your results even more interesting and inspires me to try out something similar.
The Ronseal one (they do a range - pine, teak, oak, walnut, the usual suspects) can be very good, but of course you're limited to their choices of colour, whereas you have the facility there to adjust shading to a particular job. They also have a slight tendency to exhibit poorer flow of the colouring component than the carrier, leading to darker patches, even after careful mixing and application. I'm guessing your own formula doesn't suffer from that - certainly no evidence in those photos!
Chas
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

I also meant to ask - and please excuse me if this has already been covered - where those nice etched / crested white windows were from Graeme? (Though something tells me you're going to say they were homemade too... :wink: ).
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

They are.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Larger size GC crest in a book traced in pencil on tracing (or greaseproof?) paper, borders pencilled in too by refence to photographs, then the whole design scanned and printed out in multiple at the desired smaller size on white paper. One example stuck (or trapped) in place behind each toilet/w.c. window.

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Excellent - thank you (both), I shall try my hand in due course...
Chas