Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Loco/vans/brakes workbench - another cunning RTR conversion?

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

2512silverfox wrote:I may have some part used methfix sheets with loco numbers unused. Any use?
If you are quite sure that they are surplus to your requirements then I'll gladly take them off your hands, either as part used sheets, or just the offcuts that you don't want. Than you for the offer.

I know this raves up (good Lincolnshire terminolgy there) the arguments about increased unit costs for production of sub-types rather than one standard item, but it now seems a pity to me that the HMRS / ex-PC sheets for British Railways steam locos and coaches are "national" rather than "regional" in their coverage. I imagine that most users are "regional" and might prefer sheets that are for instance rich in 3s for SR, 4s and 5s for LMR, 6s for ER etc. The makers might even get more sophicticated, and by means of a survey of the BR fleet, or the popular modelling options, establish which other numerals ought to be more heavily represented on the sheets. Maybe they could offer supplementary sheets for top-up purposes? But then why bother if you can still easily sell the bog-standard product? Would anybody else feel that there's an opportunity to step in and market some matching regional top-up sheets? Or perhaps we should co-operate locally with like modellers of other regions and operate a part used transfer exchange system :shock: :lol: :?:
I presume too much modelling of Pacifics and W1s accounts for my shortage of 0's..........

I think I may in due course feel obliged to pull the horizontal handrails off the A2/3 cabside, remount them a bit higher, make good the original holes and alter the lining, otherwise I may not be happy with the look, especially when the number goes on. Others planning to use this cab for a loco in BR livery should allow for this when first drilling for handrails. It wouldn't matter much for LNER livery of course, with no panel lining to get in the way.

See - Swindonised livery is nothing but evil.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

You should never run out of O's if you buy in bulk, LOOK...........30 mtrs, you'll never run out :twisted:

manna
Attachments
Hose.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

operate a part used transfer exchange system
I've done that on RMWeb in the past. I don't suppose there's too much demand for 'S' and 'W' letters on here.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Four candles? :lol:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Oddly enough that crossed my mind earlier, as I typed 0's, but I had no time to digress.......

As a stop gap, I've applied numbers of the next size down, which give the temporary appearance of completeness ready for a possible public airing at P'boro. Pictures later, At leat I've been able to line up the lower edge of the numbers with the line of the running plate and top of reversing rod cover, as per photos of the real thing. Measurements confirm that the horiz. handrail position is the main fly in the ointment. I copied Triang-Hornby's original moulded position as in isolation it looked okay, but measuring up and comparing amongst other things against Sandwich, it ought to be about a mil higher - not much, but quite crucial to a proportionate appearance in this case. Damn!

Or should that be bill-hooks?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

I had a chat with HMRS years ago about revitalizing the GWR sheet with more GUARD and LUGGAGE for coaches, but it met with a neg response. Can't blame them....Printing was Peter Chatams job. I'm just glad we stll have them as the hobby would be much the poorer without them. Re. swops, I have done this collecting regional M's while giving out S's and E's.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

I will have a look at my sheets and see if there are any 0s to spare as I seem to have accumulated a lot of them over the years.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Can not understand why the HMRS LNER Lining doesnt have ovals and circles for mudholes and no curves for tender backs and front and alos ignores tender curves in Red too :evil: :evil: :evil:

Has anyone a spare Bachmann return crank as one on my A2/2 conversion has given up the ghost. Dont really want to pay Bachmann £12 for a complete valve gear and cylinders when I only need one crank :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

thanks
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I did type some text to go with these, including more four-candles / dialect humour, but then the air turned blue after I caught the control key with my knuckle sending the text to oblivion. I am now in much too foul a mood, and too short of time to re-type it........

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I take it you aim wasn't too steady then? :lol:

Another seriously good looking loco, Graeme. Got me thinking....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Image

I did type some text to go with these, including more four-candles / dialect humour, but then the air turned blue after I caught the control key with my knuckle sending the text to oblivion. I am now in much too foul a mood, and too short of time to re-type it........
Looks like an A2/3 to me. Much left to do?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Looks like just the running plate lining out to do. Aside from that minor detail - perfect, ready to run A2/3. Well done Graeme! :)

EDIT: btw Graeme, if you ever delete text in that way again, hold ctrl and press Z. It will "undo". Use "cmd" and Z if on a Mac.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Not too much to do now, depending on levels of pedantry. Had the bow pen and orange paint out tonight to complete the lining on the valances, but the background ought to be green, not black...
Maybe a spacer ring needs to go behind each con-rod big end to push it out against the back of the return crank (rather than leave it floating in-and-out on the crankpin as per Bachmann's factory finish) as the con-rod can in extremis snag on the front crankpin if the loco snakes too quickly through crossovers in reverse. Front coupling shackle to add. Shed-plate? Cylinder drains. Rods to sanders on R side of firebox? Oddments related to grate/ashpan to add to Cartazzi frames? AWS battery to remove? Cabsides to correct? Worksplates to add? Cab interior to fit out and glazing/doors to add? Whistle to fit. Final tweaks to shape of tops of cylinders? Varnish to equalize on all body sections or hide inequalities with weathering? Certainly darken valve gear and blacken motion bracket - I've left that for now to show what's new. Where should the "enough" line be drawn? I don't know if I like the Bachmann trailing truck which slides side to side and tilts, but doesn't steer around curves. Its flanges "pick" at crossings when setting back, and that's a disaster if one wheel is already cocked in the air. I'm tempted to replace it with a simple sprung internal pony truck that actually steers, keeping the flanges parallel to the rails.

davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Did you lower the front smoke box number plate? I think before they got late crest they'd all been lowered, and mounted on the strap.

As you say when is enough - enough
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

How would you remove the AWS box as its also needs to go on my A2/2. I cannot see a method without wrecking the surrounding paintwork ?

Loco looks excellent