Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Renovating an old B.

Post by mick b »

I have asked Theron how do you simply look at a list of active topics, not every individual posts on everything to how wonderful the world is to what somebody had for breakfast !!

If that is an improvement????, then a lot of money has been wasted (according to the last post). :lol:
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

mick b wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:11 am I have asked Theron how do you simply look at a list of active topics, not every individual posts on everything to how wonderful the world is to what somebody had for breakfast !!

If that is an improvement????, then a lot of money has been wasted (according to the last post). :lol:
Without taking this thread OT, if posters read the forum update thread they'd find that the process is ongoing and is actually faster with the forum online than offline. No one knows how long it will take, but it is working and many features will come back as this process continues.

The young are accused of being impatient and wanting everything now, but I actually think it applies to all age groups. :roll:
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

As somebody that is still well under 40, I have to say that I don't like the new site at all. However, I wonder how much of that is due to it being different to the previous incarnation. I think I'll reserve my final judgment until everything is working properly and I've had a bit of time to get use to the changes...
Steve
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I agree that the change on the 'other' site was probably necessary for management and security issues
I also agree that it has caused me to waste time on a good modelling day.
Above all else I'm so glad that I am not professionally involved with computing any more.

Now, back to making trucks!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Dave S wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:03 am
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:42 am signing everybody out and generally creating unwanted work and nuisance for settled users of the site?
It was such hard work re-signing in to a more secure site, I've no idea how you coped....
The large number of password-protected websites that I am obliged to use for compliance with the law and in connection with essential professional matters, even without those used for pleasure which are also password protected, creates a huge number of passwords that are all supposed to be different and all supposed to be remembered rather than recorded anywhere. This is an impractical and ridiculous arrangement, hence the only solution is to sign-in, forget the password and remain signed-in, on one device, to some of the regularly used sites that do not jeopardize my security or the security of the nation. As I have a typical daily schedule in which every minute seems to be needed, it therefore DOES come as a real annoyance to be signed out of a website by somebody else! That's especially true when the same site disturbance has also removed all of my carefully evolved preferences and settings.

There is however a way to avoid repetition of the problem. I managed perfectly well, not many years ago, making no contribution at all to RMweb for around two years, confining all of my input to this forum instead. Given the vast amount of low-quality and irrelevant chaff that has to be viewed and read over on that site in order to find the good bits, I think it may well be simplest for me henceforth to simply browse that particular forum for news, as an outsider, reserving my contributions to this site.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

:roll:
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This morning my usual 'view updated topics which I have posted in' option seems to be working much as before.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks for pointing that out. I've checked, and my list seems to be restored too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A long phase of repetitive resin casting now completed, and weather back to something more normal for the time of year, thus closing off tempting opportunities for fresh air and exercise, I've been able to return to some long-intended plans for innovative model making. I'll try to post some images and notes on progress soon.

I seem to have learned something new about my favoured fast-cast resin in the last few weeks. Although it never caused any noticeable problems when I first tried the idea a couple of years ago, it now appears to me that if castings are of anything but the smallest sizes, least importance, lowest value and minimal complexity, then the use of black powder pigment in the mixture to colour the resin should be avoided like the plague. The powder pigment appears to greatly increase the tendency to towards retention of un-cured liquid resin in parts of the casting, with leakage of same from various points of the surface of the casting for up to a week or two after release from the mould. As far as I can tell small additions of Humbrol enamel paint as a colorant in the mix are still safe and successful.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I did say I was working on something new. I've been trying to reach the point at which I'm reasonably confident that it will actually work out satisfactorily before posting anything more on here. That point now seems to be established, so here are some of the things I started with, although I won't be revealing exactly what vehicle I'm building, and the final means of building it, until a little later.

A couple of window frames of different widths with a little extra material either side, made up out of plastic strip, and a door removed from a Hornby Margate / Railroad "Gresley" coach both restyled and made suitable for incorporation in a coach side in a recessed position:
STA71163s.jpg
The wider window frame stuck to the base of a moulding box to produce a single-frame mould. Five good resin castings from this along with the narrower frame and the door then stuck to the base of a larger moulding box in readiness for making a mould suited to more rapid production of multiple parts:
STA71166s.jpg
The multi-part silicone rubber mould, some castings from it, and a section of lower side of coach stuck to the base of yet another moulding box:
STA71169s.jpg
Middle beading on lower side section moved downwards a touch to better match proportions in photographs. A line was scribed 0.5mm below the lower edge of the original moulded beading. That beading was then scraped off with care, the scribed line deepened and widened, and a piece of 0.45mm dia. straight brass wire stuck in the groove using a plastic solvent:
STA71172s.jpg
Lots of cast resin bits, including some from my previously produced moulds for older style ends and clerestory roofs:
STA71173s.jpg
Must go. Roast chicken awaits.......

thegreenhowards
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by thegreenhowards »

Looks great. I remember discussing the concept with you at Warley 2017. I look forward to seeing what emerges!

Andy
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Andy.

I admit to being deliberately economical with information for others at this stage, at least until I've honoured a promise to give a first view of what's afoot to a visitor tomorrow, but here's a little more.

Firstly, part of carriage side built up from trimmed cast-resin elements with some plain white plasticard fill-in pieces between the window units:
STA71179cropped sm preview.jpg
Secondly, rear view of the same part of a side at a slightly later stage, showing how the inset of the doors is achieved without leaving gaps, even though the amount of inset is as much as, or more than, the thickness of the lower edge of a plain side panel:
STA71183 part side rear.jpg
My ultimate intention is to use the multi-part "master" sides to create moulds in which whole sides can be cast in resin in a single piece, for greater strength. I might cast in some metal reinforcement too. Trial and error will reveal the pros and cons. Results of this attempt, combined with availability of time and remaining motivation will determine whether sides for other carriages are also produced. I'm afraid that "complete kits" are certainly NOT part of my faint, sketchy plan. Should anybody want similar parts from me, they will need to do their own research, make decisions regarding standards and techniques, decide what else to use, obtain other parts, and tackle any problems that arise. But what could possibly go wrong??

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atlantic's works: A proper vintage carriage.

Post by JASd17 »

I am going for an ECJS 12-wheel Composite Dining Car.

That is idle speculation, but awaiting 'real news' with interest.
John
Last edited by JASd17 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I'm going for a HST...............I'll get my coat
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

"I am going for an ECJS 12-wheel Composite Dining Car."

Can you get me one while you're there, please, John?