Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Atlantic's works: Another B5 moment, P2 News

Post by Daddyman »

Very neat, Graeme.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Excellent work !!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Another unintended duplicate posting removed....

Sorry.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Al.
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Al. »

Picked up this thread from the Grantham thread on RMWeb. Lots of beautiful stuff here. 👍

I'm particularly interested in the P2 Bugatti nose castings, but can't see and link to buy one or indication of cost. Would they still be available?

Cheers. Al.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello Al,

Thanks for your enquiry. Do you have an ID over on RMweb? If you are an established user of RMWeb it will be much easier for me to send you the necessary details via a private exchange of e-mail addresses through the RMWeb private message system. As a new user of LNER Encyclopaedia you'll be temporarily unable to use the PM system on here and it's not a good idea for use to start posting our e-mail addresses on the public forum.

The short answer re: Bugatti nose availability at present is that one of the original batch of castings remains. Providing that there's no deadline to meet, I can certainly produce more castings when time permits. Earl Marischal original body front castings are also still available.

Graeme
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

More or less drawing to a close the long-running saga of the creation of my own P2 models, here are the three members of the band with their Teloc speed recorder drives (prototypically minus the presumably vital return cranks) now painted up, awaiting eventual subtle weathering if and when time starts being kinder to me:
STA70964 lnerf.jpg
STA70966 lnerf.jpg
STA70971 lnerf.jpg
And just to show that nothing ever remains perfect (not that it ever was perfect in this case) this image reveals that careful and thorough over varnishing of the lining transfers has failed to prevent early flaking away of some of the white component of the edge lining on 2003's cab...
Teloc & lining sm.jpg

billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 pm The purpose of some of the parts isn't yet obvious to me, but no doubt somebody will point out how obvious the answers are even if I fail to work them out. I'm particularly intrigued by the thing that looks a little like a baby's dummy on the little white sprue also carrying the couplings!
Those parts glue on to the coupling shank for people who like to spring their couplings.
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Bill, that confirms suggestions I've had from others.

Al.
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Al. »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:13 am Hello Al,

Thanks for your enquiry. Do you have an ID over on RMweb? If you are an established user of RMWeb it will be much easier for me to send you the necessary details via a private exchange of e-mail addresses through the RMWeb private message system. As a new user of LNER Encyclopaedia you'll be temporarily unable to use the PM system on here and it's not a good idea for use to start posting our e-mail addresses on the public forum.

The short answer re: Bugatti nose availability at present is that one of the original batch of castings remains. Providing that there's no deadline to meet, I can certainly produce more castings when time permits. Earl Marischal original body front castings are also still available.

Graeme
Cheers Graeme.

RMWeb I'D is 'Al.'

Search 'Remagen' and you'll find me. 👍
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

This evening's mystery object, which cost pence to make and which works very well without dislodging things that it should not, is this:
STA70972.JPG

Whilst I’m neither motivated nor conveniently able to start any bigger modelling projects at present, I did today undertake one relatively minor job to give use of another loco on Grantham and on Little Bytham when it goes "1930s" for one weekend only. The one J6 with Sharman wheels I built as part of a batch of three, has always been satisfactory on my stable, never-leaves-home, finescale-tracked layout but has not enjoyed a trouble-free time on Grantham with its Peco code 100 points (many with un-modified flangeways) and the almost inevitable uneven track joints where baseboards meet, as set up on imperfect exhibition hall floors. It is now re-shod with Scalelink wheels with somewhat wider treads and marginally deeper (and fatter) flanges. The coupling rods threatened to pose a problem, the eyes having been opened up to go over the Sharman top-hat crankpin bushes and consequently being far too large for Romford / Markits pins, but I found that rather handily the Sharman bushes were a snug fit on the plain Romford pins, and that when turned inside-out the bushes also act as retainers for the rods. That saved the cost and / or faff of new rods or other forms of adaptation. The reassembled loco runs very smoothly in my opinion, the concentricity of the Scalelink wheels being much better than the elderly Sharman examples that I originally used simply because I already had some..
STA70974.JPG

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Really looks excellent that J6 Graeme. I must finish the one I bought from you. All put together, just waiting on an appropriate chassis to go under it.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Do you want a metal kit for a chassis, or just a "plonk and play" item?

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:35 pm Do you want a metal kit for a chassis, or just a "plonk and play" item?
Plonk and play.

(Sorry)

:)
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Plonk and play.

(Sorry)

:)
[/quote]

Chicken.......just kidding 8) hello Simon, long time no hear.....or am I looking in the wrong part of the forum??

Build a chassis, you've got the skills, good fun too.

Paul
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Hi Paul! It has definitely been a while since I posted regularly. Twice in a day after months away (nearly a year?) - been having too much working on real railways for a living. The blog (britishrailwaystories.com) has suffered massively due to a lack of time and I have decided to effectively junk it in favour of a new website and concentrating on my twitter and facebook feeds.

But enough of that on Graeme's thread. I could build a chassis - time permitting. I am short on time all the time now, sadly, so plonk and play looks a better option.