Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Loco/vans/brakes workbench - another cunning RTR conversion?

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sorry about the two Ronnie's humor, I couldn't resist, absolute classic :lol:

I see what you mean about he cab handrail, the number is very close, but the rest of it looks spot on :P

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mick b wrote:How would you remove the AWS box
Dunno yet, will have to suck it and see.....
davidwest wrote:Did you lower the front smoke box number plate?
Nope. Arrrrrgh!
S.A.C. Martin wrote:hold ctrl and press Z
Now he tells me! Actually, thanks for that Simon - it's not the first time I've done that clumsy stupid trick, and being ignorant of underlying operating system rules, could do nothing about it. Your advice may just save me from a future round of blasphemy.......

G'day Manna - before the text deletion incident, I was trying to expand the four candles humour in the direction of P's. It would work a different way in the rural areas of this part of the country, where peas are "peeyaz", and so, oddly enough, are pears. Watch out!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Coming moderately soon, all being well, Great Northern, the ugliest loco I never wanted to model :? :lol: . (A Milligan inspired remark)
The A2/3 isn't quite finished yet of course, and I'm trying to write out full instructions before it all fades from my memory. No - it hasn't given me a taste for Thompson machinery, just slightly more willingness to see Thompson's work as part of the broadest possible LNER realm. I've also got a short tour around "the little trains of Wales" to fit in before I get going on the A1/1, and with a computer at work "playing up" rather oddly at the moment, who knows what other delays I might be in for.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

I have let myself fall way behind on the installments on this thread but intend to treat myself to a nice relaxed read to catch up over the weekend..the resin parts are most impressive Graeme......I'm even starting to appreciate the eccentricity of those Thompson jobs...certainly anyone modelling postwar needs one amongst their Pacific fleet!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A2/3 again: With luck, I may later today have a resin casting available for the new stretcher for the cylinders, eliminating the need for fabrication for every loco of one of these from several pieces of plastikard.

I also have some more transfers for cab side numerals now, so I shall have to decide whether to move the errant handrails upwards a touch and re-finish the cab sides.

Who dares wins.

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Graeme kindly brought this to Peterborough show last weekend and I have to say - although they're still pig-ugly locos - it's a beautiful model.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Oh no more Thommo bashing :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well I love em for their unique looks :D
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

more Thommo bashing
No, that's a bit of a sterile debate now. I just think they're ugly. De gustibus non est disputandum.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Whether you like the look or not (and I think they're all pretty handsome, even the A2/1), if you model post 1946 you need one of the classes hanging around somewhere!

Great news on the stretcher Graeme - that'll make things easier for the less talented of us (i.e me)! :)

Thinking of making the A2/2 conversion, but there's a few projects I want to get out of the way first. The D49 to D class conversion for one.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
5.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Aha! Good, you got the wing-plate smoke deflectors to go on successfully. The improved sides to the visible saddle look good too. Do I even spy small grab-loop handrails down near the front of the running plate? Drilled lifting holes in the frames, anti-carboniser and pipework represented on smokebox, sand fillers in the correct new places. Pretty thorough!

DMR etched oval covers on the firebox?

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

Silver Fox's cab has found a very good home :D
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've illustrated and described the new resin cylinder stretcher at
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5243&p=52255#p52255

I thought it a good idea to try to include the basic shapes of the fill-ins for the areas above the cylinders on each side of the loco (an upward extension of the cylinder wrapper on the real Thompson locos). Filling and filing will no doubt be needed to blend this area fully into the moulded cylinder shape, but the resin casting provides a start.

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Okay, a moment of madness...!

Graeme, you used an A3 boiler to make your V2 better shaped in the boiler department. Would the combination of a Bachmann V2 - thereby providing the cab and part of the running plate - plus an A3 bodyshell, providing the boiler - and your resin parts equal roughly an A2/2 bodyshell (?!)

I ask as it's occurred to me that I still have a correct wheelbase 4-6-2 chassis left over from a Nu Cast kit which developed major metal fatigue a few years back. If I were to motorise it, with the parts I have still, all I would need is a body to plonk on top...

...or this is complete madness (?!)