Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: ECJS 12 wheel clerestory dining cars

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Supply of castings building up nicely, you'll presumably be glad to know.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Terrific
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Deleted repeat post
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A brief reversion to the test build of the self-trimming GC tender etch, from the turn of the year, now equipped with a set of resin castings for some of the details. The otherwise highly breakable brake column has a twin-wire insert in the main part of the column, one wire branching out into each end of the handle. The water scoop wheel is deliberately omitted here to reveal the cast representation of the forward part of the cover for the shaft.
resin fittings 4s.jpg
resin fittings 5s.jpg
resin fittings 2s.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

^^
That looks excellent
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

koala-drool.jpg
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Best not mention that the first batch of B7 etches have arrived then ... :o
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

I like the sound of that!
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

'Tis fortunate that I am laying down on discovery of this... :P
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Mark Tatlow
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mark Tatlow »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:05 pm I hadn't found time at that stage for one or two additional details, but I have subsequently added door handles and grab handles, window crests in lieu of plain white backings,
Hi there

What are the origins of the window crests? I have one of these to finish and they do look rather nice!
Mark Tatlow

You can see what i am upto on my blog www.highlandmiscellany.com Proud to be a member of the Scalefour Society and the LMS Society:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hello Mark,

I tried to scan a window with crest from published pictures, getting at best only a very faint and grainy print, so I enlarged it, strengthened such features of the design as I could make out using a pencil, then re-scanned and re-sized it to scale for printing. I tried it on thin plain white paper, on proper tissue paper, and on tracing paper. I thought the version on thin white paper made the windows look too opaque. I've tried the two translucent versions both as single layers and with additional layers behind the printed layer, and I can't say I've made my mind up about which looks best yet!
Feel free to make use if this helps at all:
File1185 ECJS etched window.jpg
File1185 ECJS etched window.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 4821 times

Mark Tatlow
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mark Tatlow »

Thanks for this, I will take a bit of a look at this.

I would be a bit concerned that the paper would yellow over time; even if sealed in varnish.

I have seen these done by the laser cutters on perspex. This one is for a Highland Railway coach so is a thistle design and was done by York Modelmaking.

0 thistle windows.jpg
Mark Tatlow

You can see what i am upto on my blog www.highlandmiscellany.com Proud to be a member of the Scalefour Society and the LMS Society:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

With my carriage under frames and floors being separable from the body shell for no more effort than the releasing of four small screws, I can easily replace the paper prints taped to the inside of the glazing, so yellowing or fading isn't a grave concern.

Those HR etched windows are exquisite. Authentically detailed miniature ECJS crests might be of interest to me, as a little luxury, if any accurate record of the original etched design survives, but only if the price was right and if the detail could actually be seen in 4mm scale from a realistic viewing distance.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I haven't forgotten entirely about my Bill Bedford / Mousa Models 3D printed GNR 6 wheeled carriage kits, in fact I've been doing something about the matter of Mansell wheels, and I've been preparing the bodysides in particular for application of the multi-layer painted teak finish. That preparation has consisted of drawing a well-sharpened flat-ended scraper across those panels that it would actually fit, in the intended grain direction, to take the peaks off the fine printing ridges, followed by a rub with a fibreglass pencil, also in the grain direction, then a scrub with a dry toothbrush to remove any clinging "snow".

I've noticed in the process that while one side of the D.245 third has, as I would expect, hit & miss vertical ventilation slots above each door, the other side simply has plain panels. I suspect that is a design oversight, but I can't say I'm too upset....

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Long overdue images of progress so far with those six-wheelers. Body panels and roofs relieved of printing ridges by means of a scraper and a fibreglass pencil, two coats of grey primer to the roofs, a coat of red primer to reveal surface quality and then a mixture of Humbrol 113 and matt white sprayed onto the bodies as a base for teaking. Grab rails and alarm-gear cross shafts made up from 0.45mm N/S wire and fitted to the ends and roof ends, one brittle printed bracket for the alarm shaft having to be re-made from bent wire. Wheels Mansellized using some inserts. Most of underframe sprayed satin black, and even a reasonably thin coat of that without a primer seems to have been enough to make some of the features down there a bit rounded and blobby. I wonder if the printing could have been sharper? The horizontal control rod for the gas lighting on the end of one carriage looks a bit serrated at present, I shall have to smooth its printing ridges before further paint goes on.
In the process of general handling, including easing wheel sets in and out, I've managed to break one brake yoke, which I have patched up using plastic rod. I have also found that the lower extremities of the W-irons, mainly the keeps, where they project below the lower stepboards, can be brittle/fragile. I've made a replacement for the section I broke off one of them. It is not quite as detailed as the original printed part, but good enough for its relatively hidden location I think. I must remember when inserting or removing wheel sets to use a slim lever to push back a large area of the W-iron, and NOT to just use a thumb nail against the lower edge!
STA71885.JPG
STA71886.JPG
STA71887.JPG
STA71888.JPG
STA71889.JPG
STA71892.JPG
STA71894.JPG
STA71897.JPG
STA71899.JPG
STA71900.JPG