Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Atlantic's works: 3D printed J21 interlude concluded?

Post by NZRedBaron »

Well, I for one didn't know, and ended up having to talk to the group who actually preserve 876/65033 to find out.

RCTS books are not available where I live.
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

@nzredbarron, RCTS books aren't easy to come by but with a bit of digging are definitely obtainable on our side of the planet. Try GT Carter books or keep an eye on Trade me, they pop up from time to time. If you really keen you could get a complete set from Amazon UK for £212 plus shipping.
Worth getting some for research purposes although they aren't exactly page turners and the photos are fairly small. It's taken me a while to get all the volumes I wanted but found most locally at exhibitions and used book shops and do on.

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: A5 livery almost done

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I didn't really want to line the cab front on the A5, but I concluded that I probably should. Choosing, cutting out and positioning suitably shaped pieces of HMRS lining, adjusting its shape and persuading it to stick sufficiently to stay in place during removal of the carrier paper and application of varnish was not easy.
DSCN0812a.JPG
The die is now cast in respect of the loco identity too. I've only just, rather belatedly, added the representation of the plates surround the (imaginary) lateral slots for the pivoting draw-hooks in the buffer beams, so I now have to wait for more paint to dry before I can add the final lining and insignia to the front beam.
DSCN0814a.JPG
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

What was the perceived advantages of the sliding drawhook on the GCR engines? Noting that most other railways didn't utilise similar designs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've wondered about that too. We could speculate, but I wonder if anybody has the authoritative answer?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:52 am What was the perceived advantages of the sliding drawhook on the GCR engines? Noting that most other railways didn't utilise similar designs.
Perhaps linked with the oval buffers?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I assume that both features catered for the tendency for the extreme ends of long locos to throw-over on curves, out of line with any vehicle to which they might be coupled. The swinging coupling would neither become excessively tight so easily, nor be so likely to pull a light vehicle sideways, compared with a fixed coupling. The oval buffers obviously help to avoid buffer lock. But why would the GC (or just Robinson's department) feel that these measures were more necessary on the GC than on other railways?

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Relief! Livery all done. And this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby...
DSCN0821.JPG
DSCN0822.JPG
Lined black to do again on a D7 some time in the coming months, with all those rivets in the way too :roll: .

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Beautiful model Graeme. One less for Sonic to make. Unless curiosity gets the better of you and you buy one anyway. 8)

Paul
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:27 pm Relief! Livery all done. And this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby...
Ha - currently working on lining myself and very conscious of what you say: relaxing?! Hardly! But very satisfying to see it done, isn't it? I guess sometimes the pleasure of achievement compensates for the un-relaxing effort...?
Chas
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Another vintage goods engine

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I have a feeling that images may break cover elsewhere fairly shortly, so I may as well reveal the partly constructed loco model that has partly occupied my time in the six weeks since I added anything new to this thread.
DSCN0879.JPG

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Another vintage goods engine

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Very nice, Stirling would be impressed. :D :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Another vintage goods engine.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Terry, I hope so, as 10 days on from that last image all I've managed to do is to complete the shapes of the splashers, which were previously just the flat outer faces. I offer in part the excuses that there are up to nine pieces making up each splasher, many of them very fiddly to cut, shape and fit, plus of course the fact that there are other things to do in life too.
DSCN0890 s crop.jpg

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Just found this on Facebook, 176, J6 class at Greenwood. (would have become J4) scrapped 1923.

manna
Attachments
244670603_605080123967755_8986005682291668644_n.jpg
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

You'd have to hope the loco was at rest when that was taken...