Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Another B5 moment, P2 News

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

4426 is on the duty roster for the London working.

4413 is having a rest on that occasion - probably listed for a full boiler washout and inspection or something like that.

3251 will be in the link though, and several from other Grantham team members.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Amended water filler access (which I had originally modelled as a circular hole) in top fairing of P2 Lord President's tender, with raised filler neck / hatch, following receipt of better information:
STA70912 lnerf.jpg
STA70915 lnerf.jpg
We live and learn......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

At last I have something new to show. I've really been struggling to get things done since Christmas, thanks to trying to sort out the means of reducing my involvement in the real working week, finding that most evenings I've wanted to put my feet up and do nothing more than watch the telly by the time that 9pm arrives, generally not being in the right mood with clear enough mind and sufficient energy to make a good job of model making, and consequently having a load of trouble that I've not had before when trying to fit and set-up Gibson wheels! Things are looking up though, and here's a J6 that I promised to make over a year ago for John White, for use on Doncaster - Leeds Central. Even allowing for the fact that the smoke box number plate is to be fitted on delivery, it isn't going to be exactly right for late BR condition, since the buffer beam probably ought to have visible bolt heads or rivets, the raised platform that once covered the tail rods in front of the smoke box shouldn't be there any more, and the firebox probably ought to have the later large hand holes rather than washout plugs. There were limits to how much was deemed practical, necessary and cost-justifiable in terms of alterations to the standard features of the resin castings. I did take the trouble to produce a new version of the chimney to represent the shorter version fitted to the whole class over the period from 1939 to 1943, along with a new version of the dome casting.
STA70931.JPG
STA70932.JPG

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Very nice J6, good to see you back at the workbench....................you need to retire :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Agreed!

35windsorlad
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by 35windsorlad »

Excellent work on the J6,Graeme you have met all my requirements tender pick and the fitting of that nasty DCC chip. Give yourself a well deserved good pat on the back. Looking forward to having the J6 on freight transfer duties on Doncaster
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Lovely job on that J6 Graeme! 8)
Steve
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

May I echo the comments of others, lovely work. I don't know how you can let them go, I still get too "attached" to my models to sell them.

Cheers
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's not too much of a wrench to let it go. I have three J6s of my own in proper LNER livery and will no doubt further console myself by making something else.

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:50 am It's not too much of a wrench to let it go. I have three J6s of my own in proper LNER livery and will no doubt further console myself by making something else.
3279 perhaps??? :roll:

(I'll get my coat!)
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Reminder well-deserved and noted. All in due course.....

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Those P2s just won't go away. After study of numerous photographs and discussion by e-mail with John Smart I've started making some of the parts of the visible drive gear for the Teloc speed recorders that were fitted to the class. If we've correctly understood what we've seen in photographs it would appear that a return crank from the rear crankpin on the right side of these locos ought to have been there as the first link in the drive-train but seems to have been removed more often than not - if that is they were all fitted in the first place! That does not remove the need for modelling of the inverted A-frame supporting the first set of gears , and in due course the shafts and the second gearbox nestling under the right side of the firebox and cab.
Some thin nickel silver strip folded and laminated with solder, a stub of 2mm brass tube and a small rectangle of 8 thou brass to serve as a mounting plate have given me a start:
STA70940lnerf.jpg
STA70942.JPG
And now for something completely different, although I won't be building it just yet:
STA70933.JPG
STA70934.JPG
STA70935.JPG
STA70936.JPG
STA70937.JPG
STA70939.JPG
The purpose of some of the parts isn't yet obvious to me, but no doubt somebody will point out how obvious the answers are even if I fail to work them out. I'm particularly intrigued by the thing that looks a little like a baby's dummy on the little white sprue also carrying the couplings!

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Obvious :shock: :shock:

A emergency pull ring for the instructions to appear from thin air :lol: :lol:

How Bedford sells anything is beyond me :roll: :roll:
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I got one of those Bill Bedford 5 plank wagons at Wakefield to other week, and was wondering how the brakes went. I've had a look in the latest LNER wagon book, but it's not clear to me. I am in no rush at the moment as I have more important things to sort out, but I would appreciate some guidance.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Do these help? I can do an upside down shot if not.