Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Atlantic's works: A needlessly complicated D7?

Post by Woodcock29 »

It's coming on well Graeme
Andrew
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

Looks really good Graeme. The rivets are definitely a feature which brings the model to life (and all the associated clichés), They can definitely frustrate, especially over undulating surfaces. I know I've taken to putting rivets in the CAD on my models, but I think for the really small stuff the archers rivets show up better.

Cheers, Paul.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

As interesting as ever this beastie.
Stimulating modelling of a unique class - a lot of them ending up on the CLC
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks chaps. The information in RCTS 3B is to the effect that the a small number of D7s were at work on the CLC post-grouping but that the majority were in South Yorks and North Lincs, the latter being the home of the very last survivors. Is there further or other information elsewhere regarding use on the CLC?

Back to the buffer beam: I've had a lethargic day but I did apply some rivets at least. I had studied the layout of the rivets in various photographs of the real locos. For their straightness and regularity of spacing I liked the idea of using the Archer rivets around the very edges, for which the ready-made spacing "across the long rows" on the printed sheet was in my view sufficiently accurate. For the eight additional columns of rivets not on the very edges it was a different matter. Nothing on the sheet was spaced to suit, and I did not fancy trying to apply over twenty tiny single pieces of waterslide transfer individually. I therefore switched to application of tiny dots of PVA using the flat end of a 0.4mm drill bit, firstly just touching it onto a larger blob of PVA (not dipping the drill bit in) and then touching the tiny spot of PVA gently onto the model. The diameter of each rivet turned out about right, but a single application appeared to me to produce too shallow a rivet head compared to the Archer ones, which are quite subtle enough. I therefore double-applied each PVA one, and now they are little more prominent than the Archer items around the edges! You can't win...
Anyway, I may strengthen the Archer rivets on the buffer beam using PVA dots too, as the buffer beam is likely to get at least one more coat of paint than the rest of the black loco body, with more likelihood of burying the rivets.
DSCN0607.JPG
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Today seems to have been a bit more productive. I believe I now have a sufficiently complete set of potential master parts, and I have finally taken some pictures with enough extra lighting to reveal most of the rivet detail. The strange use of different colours of primer on different parts of the same model is quite deliberate, serving to illustrate what is all in one piece (same colour) and what is a separate part (different colour). The upper cab front is a single piece of course, even if shown here in black and white.
DSCN0611s.jpg
DSCN0616s jq.jpg
DSCN0617s jq.jpg
DSCN0619 jq.jpg
DSCN0620s jq.jpg
DSCN0623s jq.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Now I can say it looks brilliant Graeme.
Andrew
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 pm Thanks chaps. The information in RCTS 3B is to the effect that the a small number of D7s were at work on the CLC post-grouping but that the majority were in South Yorks and North Lincs, the latter being the home of the very last survivors. Is there further or other information elsewhere regarding use on the CLC?
The D7 presence on the Cheshire Lines was essentially the half dozen allocated to Northwich. The last of these left in mid-1930. R E Rose notes D7s straying to Guide Bridge-Manchester Central services on occasion in this period.

It's the D6s that are heavily associated with the CLC, especially the Liverpool-Manchester services prior to the arrival of the D9s.

Simon
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks for both of the above posts.

I'm mildly relieved to hear that I do not need to alter my previous understanding of the latter-day uses of the D7s and D6s, and that accords with the majority of D7 post-grouping photographs that I have seen, showing recognisable North Lincs locations.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I was a bit concerned about the difficulties that might arise when trying to re-fit the driven four-coupled unit to my D7 model, especially if and when the boiler is fixed in place on the running plate / cab unit. The motor is a tight fit when "half way in" to the boiler, at an angle, and the angle is dictated by the fact that my "gearbox" won't pass between the body's mounting lugs for the chassis, between the two sets of splashers. As if that wasn't enough of a problem, if the sand boxes and the sand pipes were firmly in place, as they would be on a completed model, there was no way that I could find to ease the brake rigging around them when trying to re-fit the drive unit. Omitting the sand pipes, leaving them free to turn where inserted into the sand boxes, or making the sand pipes much shorter than they should be, would have got around the problem, but I didn't particularly like any of those options. I also considered cropping the rear portion from the forward section of the frames that I've attached to the body, and extending the driven, rocking frame unit further forward so that the sand boxes could be mounted permanently on that, with a little trimmed from their top edges so that they would not fit tight up against the running plate and thus prevent the rocking freedom of the drive unit. After a little further thought I realized that I did not need to alter things in that way, since the portion of the frames under the front of the body, including the mounting point for the bogie, needs to be a removable separate item if I'm thinking about mould-making and resin casting at some stage. As it was, it was only tacked in place on the underside of the running plate with two small spots of adhesive, and once I had scribed around it to preserve an indication of the intended fitting position, and drilled two small screw holes ready for re-fitting, it was easy to split the two glue joints. With that unit removable, the two sand boxes and the pipes can be securely and permanently fitted to it yet can still be taken out of the way when it is necessary to remove and re-fit the drive unit.
DSCN0624s.jpg
As the images should also show, I have additionally added representation of rivets / bolt-heads to the visible parts of the bogie sides and to the frames immediately above the bogie.
DSCN0624 crop.jpg

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

That's really looking absolutely stunning now.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm glad you like it James.

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Good job you are not doing DCC Graeme.

Scottiedog had an issue with shorting sandpipes on Ingleby the other week, out came the big clippers.

John
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Less of a potential shorting problem when the metal pipes are rooted in plastic or resin sandboxes, on plastic frames, and when the nearby brake gear has plastic shoes. Although...I suppose that if both pipes touch the rails at the same time as touching the metal representation of the leading brake yoke, an annoying DCC system with artificial noise could still be satisfyingly killed off.

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Needlessly complicated? Not in my opinion: it is wonderfully elegant. Lovely work Graeme.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
I have been missing for quite a while, but still modelling LNER.
I find the D7 very interesting, as I've thought of building one from a DJH J10 kit, which has the correct boiler.
The DJH tender has the wrong wheelbase (GCR never made a 6'3+6'3 tender).
The cab sidesheets would also need enlarging.
Keep up the good work
Malcolm