Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: A proper vintage carriage.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hi Mike, try GolfRomeodotKiloIndiaNovemberGolfatNovemberTangoLimaWhiskeyOscarRomeoLimaDeltadotcom if you can work that one out, all lower case in the final version.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

For those who remember The Album of the Soundtrack of the Trailer of the Film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Executive Version),

THIS IS SIDE TWO!

Here it is anyway, first attempt at casting almost exactly as I wanted it, thanks to lessons learned when casting side one. Any flaws are probably too small to show up in the images sizes permissible on this forum:
STA71227s.jpg
Last edited by richard on Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I should at this stage, while I remember, thank "john coffin" and "JASd17" for some helpful comments and information regarding the Doncaster twelve-wheelers in general, and this diagram of carriage in particular. The man with the West End Workbench has also pointed me in the direction of some bogies that might be a better immediate option than a scratchbuilt set too.

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 pm I should at this stage, while I remember, thank "john coffin" and "JASd17" for some helpful comments and information regarding the Doncaster twelve-wheelers in general, and this diagram of carriage in particular. The man with the West End Workbench has also pointed me in the direction of some bogies that might be a better immediate option than a scratchbuilt set too.
Good. I was going to ask about the bogies.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Bad. It is a tricky subject!

Not fully understood without hours studying drawings, which may not exist for the diagram required.

Photographs are required for the EC Diagram 79 in the 1930s, that would solve problems.

John
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As John said above, getting the bogies "right" is tricky due to scarcity of information, plus evidence of many design variations.

That being the case, it seemed to me more difficult than it would have been anyway to justify the work of scratch-building and perhaps making moulds for something that might not turn out to be correct. Pending clarification of the matter, should that ever be possible, it may be worth considering an existing proprietary option (which I'm not going to reveal on here just yet because I don't want to find that current stock has been all been bought up by others before I get a proper look at them and decide whether to buy). Those I have in mind are not totally right for the general Doncaster pattern as they stand, but providing the way that they go together doesn't prevent some simple modifications that I have in mind they may be fairly easy to improve to a still more convincing appearance.

Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

This looks fantastic Graeme, will you be making any castings available? I would certainly be interested in signing up!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Ditto on a set of castings please.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I hope that quality of the cast sides, along with ease and repeatability of production will make it possible to offer them, but I haven't the faintest idea at present of cost or timescale......

I also need to demonstrate that they can be made into a decent model of the carriage of course!

I don't plan to do a specific roof and ends, so adaptation of my generic resin items or use of others will be required if anybody follows my lead, then there's the small matter of a floor / underframe, bogies and an interior.

Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

I was wondering if one could do a cosmetic alteration of one of Hornby's 12 wheel pullman bogies to produce a reasonably passable representation. Quite a few spares on sale so that's my current school of thought
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Quicksilver95 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:29 pm I was wondering if one could do a cosmetic alteration of one of Hornby's 12 wheel pullman bogies to produce a reasonably passable representation. Quite a few spares on sale so that's my current school of thought
In a word, No.

Unless you are prepared to have a 'Tri-ang'-like outcome. Room 1001 perhaps?

John
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

Quicksilver95 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:29 pm I was wondering if one could do a cosmetic alteration of one of Hornby's 12 wheel pullman bogies to produce a reasonably passable representation. Quite a few spares on sale so that's my current school of thought
My experience of H 12 wheekers id=s that they are as rare as hens' teeth nad are priced accordingly. I would image a proper job would be very much cheaper - not to say correct rather than a cobbled job.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

247 developments list a 6 wheel LNWR version no pictures though. Internet showed this one, which looks very similar to Grame's earlier photo with a drawing outline . Near enough ?

1 lnwr.jpg

Pullmans are nothing like the correct version.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Are there any of these bogies preserved?
DS239
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DS239 »

The bogies from the Hornby [ex-Dapol] LMS 12 wheel diner are available as spares..