Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: A Mogul Moment or Two.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Here's how that peculiar paper tube fits over the locating pins. The paper was initially formed up over a suitable rigid tube of course, with just spots of super-glue holding the paper together where those two flat leaves now extend upwards. Paper ends where then stuck on after removing the rigid tube. The pins pierce the paper tube, but a seal will be created by blobs of Vaseline around the holes. Care has to be taken to get the paper tube as nearly on the centre line of the boiler as possible so that a flexible but sufficiently strong layer of rubber will form all around it. The tube should crush down easily when the mould core is first pulled out of the loco body, and the long leaves of paper projecting from the top surface of the core piece ought to allow me to pull the paper out completely.
STA79992 small.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

STA79995 small.jpg
With the paper tube removed again so that you can see what's going on, here's the final stage before pouring in silicone mixture. The extra course of bricks has been added around the top of the box. All exposed areas of the pink rubber of the outer mould have been coated with Vaseline to prevent adhesion to the core piece. A feed for the resin has been added where one of the frames dips down behind the pony wheel, and numerous risers have been stuck on. These have been positioned anywhere that the rising level of resin within the mould might be likely to trap air, bearing in mind that the mould will be tilted somewhat "nose down" whilst the resin is being fed in. Working out where these risers ought to be is partly a matter of simple logic, and partly a matter of hedging my bets based on experience of finding annoying and unexpected air pockets in past resin castings.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Tantalising Graham, cant wait for finished result to pop out
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

The resin moulding process is quite fascinating.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Core piece successfully produced and first fill of resin in the mould has given quite encouraging results. Removal of the outer mould has revealed a near-perfect first casting, although I daren't try to free it from the core piece of the mould until the resin is thoroughly hardened. That will have to be tomorrow.

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Looking superb Graeme. Is the K2 proving any easier compared to the V2? I suppose the P2, despite the length, as a streamlined model would be easier to mould...?
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I find the resin casting procedure very interesting.

Everytime I visit the model shop, I spot the resin casting materials and wonder.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

K2 body casting definitely a good un. Details later.

A Bugatti nosed complete P2 body ought to cast up fairly well, but my plans are only to produce nose sections.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

STA79999 small.jpg
STA80001 small.jpg
STA80002 small.jpg
STA80003 small.jpg
STA80004 small.jpg
STA80005 small.jpg

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Fair enough Graeme, I'd certainly be up for a couple of noses :) and the K2 looks terrific. As good as the V2, easily, in terms of the crispness of that moulding.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Terrific stuff, Graeme.

One's getting quite good at this, isn't one? :lol:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Dunno? I imagine some with a formal training in casting work would find my activities amusingly naïve.

Here's the fettled main resin casting plus separate resin cab, chimney and dome fitted to the previously molested V3 chassis. Other resin parts such as buffers, steam pipes to cylinders, valve chest fronts, snifting valve, lubricator, backhead and even a pair of Ross pops in case I can't get turned ones are all ready, so my own layout and Grantham should not go short of K2s this year. When the fuss of trying to get ready for the baptism of fire in September dies down I may be able to make more of the K2 bodies should others want them.
STA80006 small.jpg
STA80007 small2.jpg
STA80009 small.jpg

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Very impressive work Grahame.
I do not think that anyone who has been trained would sneer at your work, you are using the simple techniques that you have evolved and made them work to produce an pretty accurate, attractive item

Well done.

Paul
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

That looks excellent Graeme. Another impressive result. Well done.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Nice work. :D