Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Atlantic's works: A Mogul Moment or Two.

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Superb work Graeme. Looks like the K2 fleet on Grantham will be a thing of beauty!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Side window cab and O1 spin off both seem logical....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Many interruptions, distractions and competing demands on my time have resulted in frustratingly slow progress towards completion of those moguls that have appeared nearly complete for quite some time. Part of the trouble is the usual rule about the last 20% of the apparent work taking 80% of the time and effort of course. This is how the locos looked this morning, this evening having been largely spent on making up and fitting many handrails. Two of the K2s still require the alterations to slidebars, crossheads, motion brackets and pony trucks.
STA80087.JPG
With no progress yet on assembly of the additional ironstone wagons that I want to have ready for Grantham in September, two locos waiting for full apple green livery, and a plan to try to build a couple of other essential "bread and butter" engines for Grantham in time for its first show, it now seems obvious that further work on the P2 conversion projects is going to have to wait until the Autumn. Maybe that's not such a disaster anyway, as anybody else wishing to convert a P2 needs to actually have one that they are willing to butcher, and with Hornby's willingness to produce any more batches of these locos being unclear at present it may not do any harm to wait and see what is going on.

On the resin casting front, here's something slightly different:
STA80088.JPG
Chocolate resin? Not quite. Pre-coloured G26 (in this case brown) resin from Sylmasta. Although I've had to take a gamble here regarding my ability to use the minimum-order quantity within its working life, and I wasn't totally sure how it would handle/cure until I actually got some, I was sufficiently impressed by samples on Phil Hewitt's demo bench at York show to be tempted to try out the G26. The BIG advantage of the colouring of the resin is that it is vastly easier to see the quality of the castings before they get to the painting stage. Photography of the raw castings is much easier too. Creamy white castings are a challenge both to the eye and to the camera. My initial impression of this brown G26 is favourable, although I'll need top try out other castings before I'm sure of it.

Here are some of the parts that may be going into those other two "bread and butter" locos for Grantham, which will also be of use on my own layout. The resin smokebox doors are from masters produced by Tim Easter as a bit of a spin-off from some that he did for N2s. I must put up some pictures of those in due course too. So much to do......
STA80089.JPG
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

My, someone's been busy. Any verdict on those motors as yet? I haven't tried mine.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

These MITSUMI motors at £3.12 for five are such great value, will just have to see how durable their are.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Pebbles wrote:These MITSUMI motors at £3.12 for five are such great value, will just have to see how durable their are.
You'll have to reveal your source! Mine were more than that price, from a man who is apparently going off on a two week holiday today.

Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

I have no idea how to direct you, but you might on ebay try "5PCS Dc12v pin micro motor". I have no idea whether or not these are "seconds" but from subjective testing and after oiling they seem OK. There are two types of worms in the sets that have these attached, they appear to be compatible with some gears. Happy hunting!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

And now for your delectation............a whole fleet of K2's, not bad eh ! :D

Where did you get the Ivatt chimney, for me there like rocking horse **** :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Outstanding work Graeme, I'm looking forward to the next time I see Grantham again even more now!

P.S. Where is 3279 then...? (Ducks and runs for cover!)
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Ivatt chimney - in white metal from 247 developments. London Road Models also sell their brass J6 chimney as a separate part.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Atso wrote:
P.S. Where is 3279 then...? (Ducks and runs for cover!)
Is that the contentious duck that was to be on the HNG statue? Best not go there.....

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Pebbles wrote:I have no idea how to direct you, but you might on ebay try "5PCS Dc12v pin micro motor". I have no idea whether or not these are "seconds" but from subjective testing and after oiling they seem OK. There are two types of worms in the sets that have these attached, they appear to be compatible with some gears. Happy hunting!
Ta. Found those.

LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Many interruptions, distractions and competing demands on my time have resulted in frustratingly slow progress towards completion of those moguls that have appeared nearly complete for quite some time.
Cracking stuff, Gromit... :D
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:
Pebbles wrote:These MITSUMI motors at £3.12 for five are such great value, will just have to see how durable their are.
You'll have to reveal your source! Mine were more than that price, from a man who is apparently going off on a two week holiday today.
Edited by Atlantic 3279 to remove suggested supplier identity for security reasons.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Is that the contentious duck that was to be on the HNG statue? Best not go there.....
I've just seen that the poor duck is no longer going to be present. I thought Sir Nigel liked ducks so I doubt he'd be best pleased that somebody has stolen his one!

Either way, this shouldn't impede progress on the K2s as these would have been long designed by him by the period you model. I suppose that Sir Nigel's missing duck could have an impact on 3279 as he cannot design it's rebuilds while he is looking for Mallard! :lol:
Steve