Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: Ore hoppers cont'd, 6 wheel drive Atlantic

Post by earlswood nob »

Merry Christmas all

I'd be tempted by a RTR model of the C5. However if it's a 4-6-0 then a B8 would be a useful loco.

Earlswood nob
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm not sure he has said that the new one will be a type suitable for LNER modellers.
Oh, yes, he did.....
A new kit for an LNER main line loco should shortly be arriving for assessment.
Better get these C1s finished. And the J6. And the C12. And the D2. Oh, dear.....
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

jwealleans wrote:Oh, yes, he did.....
I missed that. Good news then. I'm not sure how a main line loco is defined in this case, but if we ignore the "must be BR suitable" policy of the RTR makers, then allowing for the way that NE types have been covered by Nu-Cast, DJH, Little Engines and Mr Kimber, plus the fact that GEM covered some of the obvious NB types, it might be worth hoping for a B3, B6, B7 or B8, past rumours of O Gauge kits being shot-down having come to nothing. The original Gresley O1 2-8-0 is also lacking. I don't fancy a B8, but I wouldn't say no to any of the others, even if the B6 has very limited application.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

D49 the rebuilt The Morpeth :shock: :shock: :shock: No idea who is buying it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Interestingly I have just gone on PDK Models website and noticed on the front page that they are indicating a new kit for the LNER P1 Mikado is coming soon.
Perhaps this is the loco referred to in Tony Wrights post, certainly hope so as I will be front of the line for one. Just hope they are getting close with the LNER P2 with Bugatti front end they are listing for the future.

Oh and they are also suggesting a Urie G16 4.8.0.T for those of that persuasion being imminent. Actually quite like the look of them, now how can I justify one for The Stainmore line !!!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I don't imagine a Bugatti nosed P2 being cheap to acquire via the PDK kit route and will such a kit, built as supplied, in the end be any more accurate overall than a Hornby loco with a resin front? The image of the P1 for instance shows a model that is not correct in every detail. I question the shape of the smokebox saddle and the sloping steam ducts either side of its base. The completely flat area of platform in front of the smokebox is certainly wrong. The frame tops should protrude through that to a small extent, dividing it into three portions.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

What about the fluted coupling rods?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I don't imagine a Bugatti nosed P2 being cheap to acquire via the PDK kit route and will such a kit, built as supplied, in the end be any more accurate overall than a Hornby loco with a resin front? The image of the P1 for instance shows a model that is not correct in every detail. I question the shape of the smokebox saddle and the sloping steam ducts either side of its base. The completely flat area of platform in front of the smokebox is certainly wrong. The frame tops should protrude through that to a small extent, dividing it into three portions.
P1 Cab windows look too small ? The pipework look well done.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rods should indeed be plain, and the cab windows may be too small.

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

Apart from the things about the P1 mentioned above; The cab cut-outs were reduced in 1937, and the boosters removed early in 1938. So one shouldn't run it in the condition shown on the PDK website alongside a model of Mallard.

Personally, I will continue with my conversion of an A1, which will put a much smaller strain on my wallet.

Compliments of the season to all modellers.

Earlswood nob
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Many of you will be familiar with the Gamston Bank layout, belonging to John Houlden, built by John and friends. Today it had rather an unusual look to it and I had cause to regret that the only camera I could throw at it was really meant for outdoor sports photography. With more time available I could have tried to catch some of the delightfully unusual vintage stock on the better lit scenic sections of the layout. I'm afraid these very poor pictures are the best I could do. The owner of the stock WAS there with very much better cameras on hand, but I don't know whether we shall get to see his images. I do know that a very good photographer will be visiting tomorrow and we may well see some of his results, but they won't show this rolling stock. Pity...especially about that Stirling single.
101_0381.JPG
101_0382.JPG
101_0383.JPG
101_0384.JPG
101_0385.JPG
101_0386.JPG

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As I shall be needing some more tenders at some stage, which I shall obviously want at minimum cost at with the minimum of effort, I decided that although most of my gear is packed away at present I could prepare some existing tenders for duplication in resin without interfering with the festive decorations too much. The GN tender was particularly tricky to do as the only example I had in anything like a "copyable" condition had been built with tank permanently attached to underframe. I did however work out a way to produce a mould that would capture all of the main external features of the tender including the frames and axleboxes in one piece. I wouldn't normally want to do things that way as the subsequent production of a hollow casting demands the introduction of the resin into the mould in several stages, each with the mould differently orientated, otherwise there are too many potential traps for air bubbles. I've obviously also had to produce the coal rails with backing plates all round, which isn't right. However, the result is to my liking, and can be improved upon with some tinkering. The separate moulded piece for the inside underframe was handily already available via a mould I made to suit an LNER 3500 gallon tender.
The streamlined corridor tender body was a far easier piece to copy. The original comprises three major injection moulded parts and the steps on the rear are separate fittings, as is the top of the water filler. I took that latter item off, but I decided that with the aid of some plasticine to fill in some of the not-very-visible undercuts on the original model, I could produce one-piece hollow copies that require only a single pour of resin to fill the mould.
STA79840.JPG
STA79841.JPG
STA79842.JPG
STA79843.JPG
STA79844.JPG
STA79845.JPG

davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

It's not resin Graeme, but far tastier.

and assembled:

Over 1kg of chocolate
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I've died and gone to heaven.............Chocolate trains and GN tenders, 2015 is going to be a good year :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Mmmmmmmmm. Choccywoccy.