Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: A question about track.

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:...Hatfield Shed: Any pictures of the results of your tinkering please?...
Nothing remaining to photograph I am afraid. I was still in experimental phase back then assessing whether BR(ER) steam or somewhere in North America in HO was to be chosen for a layout build.

Shall have to investigate the 'Norman Solomon' tiebar method, sounds interesting.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Graeme,

I think you desire to build the best track for the stock you have is the way to go, no matter what gauge, you are the person who has to put in
the time, money and effort to create the running surface for your apparently not inconsiderable stock, so it is your choice to decide where
to put in your effort.

I tend to feel that no matter what gauge you model in, you can have different styles of track on your layout depending on where it is on
the layout. The important thing is that the trains run properly and safely. Unless your layout is designed for photography, most of the time,
people will really only use the 18 inch rule, beyond that the super detail will be a personal project rather than an effective way to spend ones
modelling time.

For a small branch line, then it is much easier to super detail, but if you have a circular style non end to end layout, then life really is too short
unless you are like Roy Jackson with his layout and have a large group of helpers, when you can devote considerable time to making vast greensward.

Paul
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

John Coffin's advice is sound in that the areas that you do not have on show can be laid in any proprietary track conforming to your scale standards. By so doing you do not have to worry about the geometry, accidentally having sections that kink below minimum radius and all that guff and thereby releasing quality time on the sections on show.

Next, once the track is ballasted, painted the appropriate weathering colours along the 4-foot and the cess, and the sides of the rails 'rusted', there is considerably less visibly distinct after all and in 4mm and smaller scales the sleeper spacings are not that noticeable. ISTR JW telling me at Southwold that the 'Thurston' track was code 100 'Streamline' (TM) - I'm sure he'll correct me if I misremembered!

Deferring comment on Point & Crossing (P&C) work, what is more important is to create the correct effect - do not use concrete sleepered track if it is wrong for your period but do use it if it is, at least for the main running lines. Use flat-bottom if appropriate - which in your case it probably will be - with code 100 rail on the main running lines. Use code 75 for the secondary lines and code 75 - bullhead almost certainly - for sidings and so on. That might be enough to create the visual trickery you are after. Distress the sleepers in sidings to age them, snip a few connecting strips in the base mouldings and kink them around slightly.

Then you can spend your time on creating the special P&C work that defines the location - eyes will notice that more than the plain line. the addition of point motors, rodding and cranks, and locking bars and so on will further aid the illusion, as will a lack of uniformity and so on in the ballasting.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I've been using C&L code 75 for all of my scenic work (bullhead I think off the top of my head, could be both) and I have to say it looks much better than any peco or Hornby alternative. However for my storage sidings, it'll be all code 75 Peco set track, including the points.

I just want reliability where it counts - none of my scenic sections have points, luckily, but there are a lot of joints between boards.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I have nothing new to put on here at present, but a visit last week to Geoff Tiffany's superb developing S4 Dewsbury Central GNR layout allowed me to take these pictures:
STA70188 f.jpg
STA70193 f.jpg
STA70195.JPG
STA70196 f.jpg
STA70204 f.jpg
STA70212 f.jpg
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Fabulous looking layout.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by IAK »

Now that beastie has. Moved on a bit 8)
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I was struck by the tidiness of everything, even down to the built-in cupboards under the storage loops as well as the construction of the layout legs and other under-bits, which was nicely finished quality joinery throughout, with legs of hardwood by the look of it, not the often "rough and ready" arrangement that deserves no more attention because "nobody is going to see it anyway".

I'm doubly grumpy today.
Yet again, some filthy inconsiderate member of the great unwashed has given me a cold, so just as I thought I was getting on top of jobs that were glossed over or pushed aside in the months leading up to Grantham show, I find myself sitting here losing time again, head aching, brain not working properly, eyes wanting to close, coughing, sniffling etc! Just as well I had a flu jab almost four weeks ago, innit???
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

some filthy inconsiderate member of the great unwashed has given me a cold
But you know what to give them in return?
post-118-0-01673900-1445116548.jpeg
Flying Fox 34F
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Flying Fox 34F »

Graeme,

I second JW's proposal and commend it to the house!!!!

Plenty of vitamin C required

Paul 4475
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Atlantic 3279 Mr Tiffany's woodwork is superb as you say. Also to be seen on Woodsville, an American HO layout, which has regular exhibition outings.

John
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

jwealleans wrote:
some filthy inconsiderate member of the great unwashed has given me a cold
But you know what to give them in return?
post-118-0-01673900-1445116548.jpeg
Looks like someone should of gone to SpecSavers, wouldnt get that error at a Grimsby Opticion!!
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I'm doubly grumpy today. Yet again, some filthy inconsiderate member of the great unwashed has given me a cold, so just as I thought I was getting on top of jobs that were glossed over or pushed aside in the months leading up to Grantham show, I find myself sitting here losing time again, head aching, brain not working properly, eyes wanting to close, coughing, sniffling etc! Just as well I had a flu jab almost four weeks ago, innit???
Well we can drown in our sorrows together then. Me gotta code as well - had to call off my trip out to Dreary Derby today on account of it (well - I guess it does have its up side)

'Tishoo!! :(
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Hope you get over that cold soon, pain in the butt, Eh !

I had a Flu jab back in April (start of our Flu season) for the H1N1 strain, guess who ended up with the A strain :evil:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Roy Mears, who I know via the "Grantham the Streamliner Years" project has been investigating the possibilities of using one of the J6 resin chassis blocks in a different, less penny-pinching, more "conventional" way than I did for my three completed J6 models:
020.JPG
021.JPG
023.JPG
024.JPG
I imagine it only required a couple of quick saw cuts to removed the moulded mounting plate for the motor and cheap gears that I had used. I must think about giving those ultra springy coiled pick-ups a try myself some time.