Resin casting session finished for the time being, outdoor jobs and cycling trips curtailed by weather and reduced hours of daylight, household improvements and maintenance paused for a while, and I decided it was time to do more than just contemplation or investigation of model making ideas. I wanted some quick results for start, to spur my enthusiasm for more, so a couple of days ago I started by delving into the accumulation of wagon kits and putting together a Cambrian Models kit for an LNER six plank open wagon. That involved in no hardship, save for minimal cleaning up of flash so as to get a really close fit of parts:
Unfortunately the instructions, and the published photographs of these vans are a bit short on information about the exact layout of the operating gear for the eight-shoe clasp brakes, so I've modified the parts that were included for a four-shoe linkage to give a logical but sketchy representation of what little is evident from combined study of photographs and of the four-shoe layout diagram in the kit.
Coming soon-ish, stepboards and body strapping, but I need firstly to think further about the sequence of jobs as there are various whitemetal castings to add too, such as axleboxes, buffers and end stanchions. Ideally, I almost feel as if I should add "everything before everything else", but that's not possible! Some of it may have to be glued rather than soldered, so long as it isn't likely to get knocked off again, but the kind of glue and the right time to use it depends upon when I might need to do any soaking or scrubbing to get rid of flux residues...
Maybe I'm thinking about it too much?
I then thought that a D & S etched kit for a GNR ballast brake looked pretty and would go nicely with a couple of ballast wagons passed on to me by a friend. The illustration on the packet, and the etch within, both looked at first glance to be free of tricky, time-consuming details that would have to be built up from a multitude of fiddly little bits, so I made a start. It is going quite well, but as usual, I had grossly underestimated the amount of work involved...
All of those handrails that have to be cut and bent to exact length, spaced off the body evenly, aligned neatly and persuaded to form those T-shaped joints certainly soaked up time and patience, as did the forming and fitting of the corner lamp irons. Those not shown here, which went on the ends later, were much easier to deal with.
Although there's probably little need (if any in OO) for the provided rocking W-iron at one end of this short wheelbase van, I've fitted it "rocking" rather than soldered-up solid, but I've added that z-shaped piece of springy nickel-silver wire to provide gentle downward springing of both sides of the unit. The idea is that the springing will help to limit any wobbling of the van, and prevent it from dropping into any crossing gaps that are not quite as "finescale" as they ought to be.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1
Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.