Kimball's work bench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Kimball's work bench

Post by kimballthurlow »

Just a couple of models I have built, or in the process. I make up cardboard boxes for all built items, with foam inside. Makes them easy to keep. Most of my built up models are late LNER.

The first is a Parkside Dundas model which was left the original kit colour, but I think looks like a faded version of Red Oxide.

The second is a yet to be completed D&S white metal kit, with the first coat of finish colour (Humbrol #133). I undercoat in grey, then a light sand with #1200 sandpaper, then 2 or 3 finish coats. THe model detail is superb, but I don't ever want to drop it! I t will just be a mass of twisted, compressed metal.

Hope you like the models.
regards
Kimball
Last edited by kimballthurlow on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Kimball's work bench

Post by Bill Bedford »

kimballthurlow wrote:The first is a Parkside Dundas model which was left the original kit colour, but I think looks like a faded version of Red Oxide.
If the Red Oxide is faded, shounldn't the black be faded too?
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hmmmmmm....Bill.
I think the wagon has just been placed on a new underframe!!!!

I might get around to weathering the underside one day.
regards
Kimball
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Its your model have it how you like !!

I would have masked the wheels before spraying on the D&S Van which looks very nice. The 51 L kits are just as good and a lot cheaper tha E Bay prices!! for future info

well done

Mick
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Yes Mick, I will mask the underframe at the next spray. The black underframe and wheels will be last.
I think there is some evidence that many solebars were painted the same colour as the body, though I will leave that for another model I am building.
Variations on freight stock are quite in order. I also do US modelling, where wheels, bogies, and underframes could in some cases, be the same colour as the car body.

In building these kits, I often reflect on the workmanship put in by the kit builder, but also in the real wagon and carriage works. They must have been scintillating (or perhaps boring at times) places to work, with all the skills involved, such as timber milling, planing and joiniery, painting, black smithing, and other trades. The Midland Railway for example, by 1880 employed 2,000 persons at their rolling stock works in Derby, and had a stock of 34,000 freight wagons.
Their stock of timber for building and repairs, at any one time, totalled 7-8,000 logs from all parts of the globe, chief among them teak from the East Indies.
Am I being idealistic to imagine that the finish they applied to these wagons and vans would have been done with some pride?
regards
Kimball
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi Kimball,

There are some threads on here about livery details and I think Richard has put some general notes up as well. For freight stock the general rule was that wooden solebars were body colour and steel ones black. Your fish van would have oxide solebars.
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi jwelleans,
Yes, thanks for that tip, that rings some bells. The other D&S model is a perishables van, and that will definitely have the body coloured solebar, with the exterior iron straps in black.
regards
Kimball
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not aware of any vans with black straps other tha the Refrigerator vans which were white with black straps and lettering

Mick
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Mick,
Will re-phrase that.
Iron straps etc on the red solebar will be painted black.
regards
Kimball
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Dont think they did that either !!! Solebars were bodycolour if wood, black for metal

cheers

Mick
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Well I built about 4 rolling stock kits in all, but had nowhere to run them, so sold them locally in Australia.
I assume they went to good homes. Who else would purchase odd pieces like I enjoy?
But first I decaled them in late 1930s finish, and made sure they would look good on any fastidious persons layout.
I did not get my money back, but oh well....

Anyway, on to my current fancies, which are focused on Hornby Dublo three rail.
Before you all start laughing, it is because I could never afford the stuff as a boy, and now my wife is quite tolerant of my idiosyncracies, so there is no stopping me.
I don't like ordinary things, so here is my latest purchase, built to HD three rail standards, of an ex GC fish engine.
Built entirely of brass, and having what appears to be a HD Castle chassis (yes they had the same size driving wheels), I am really stoked about the quality, and would love to know its provenance. I assume it was likely never painted green, in fact I would have loved to see it in resplendant Robinson lined black.
Here it is on a van of fish wagons (3 rail style).
6097immingham.jpg
Kimball