Stone traffic

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Stone traffic

Post by 50A »

Hi all.
I am researching for a potential 4mm model of a branch line station based loosely on those on the Malton and Driffield line. The M&D had stone trains that worked over the Malton and Thirsk line to the ECML at Pilmoor, where the stone was taken to Teeside.
My question is what sort of wagons would be used for such traffic?
I have the books on the Railways of Ryedale by Patrick Howat and the Malton and Driffield by Warwick Burton - these have only given me 2 blurred pictures of what appears to be standard 12ton wooden bodied wagons.
Does anyone have any information on either this traffic (or traffic on other similar lines as I am not looking to produce and accurate model).

Andy
:lol:
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome to the LNER forums, Andy!

I've just had a look in Tatlow's "LNER Wagons", and there's nothing specific for stone traffic (stone isn't even in the index).

I think open wagons were used.

"loose" minerals (coal, ore, etc) were sometimes shipped in hoppers as well as open wagons.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Thanks for the reply Richard.

I looked through my copy of the "bible" last night and came to the conclusion that any of the mineral wagons could have been used. It gives me an excuse for some of the pre-grouping types as weel as the standard LNER wagons.

Andy.