Station Names

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

will derbyshire
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Station Names

Post by will derbyshire »

My model railway is still in pieces all over the loft, i have designed a farly good layout and am just finnishing off the base boards!
However i am stook for station names to use! can you guys offer any help?

A brief description of the layout.
The layout is going to be a horse shoe shape, one end a station terminus with a medium sized freight yard, turntable and loco sheds . at the other side, a two platformed station with a few siding to allow storage of local freight (Eg. Milk,Coal ECT). at the other end of the station, A tunnel which leeds to ,in Therory, main line stations such as York, London and edinbrough. However on the model railway it will lead to the fiddle yard.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Station Names

Post by chaz harrison »

You could get yourself an OS map of the area that railway is set in, check through the villages that never had a railway until you find a name that appeals.

Or take a name from your locality. If you continued my line through the wall and on it would eventually reach a Barton Road - so my fiddle yard is Barton Road Junction.

I take a name that has personal significance - When I was a kid I used to go to Ridley Rd street market with my nan. So my layout is Ridley Wharf. I changd it because at one time I planned to have a canal basin - I didn't have space for this but I retained the name.

I'd personally avoid the awful puns which will have you wincing everytime you operate.

Best of luck!
will derbyshire
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Thanks for the help Chaz! im 14, and ever since i was about 4 my mum,dad, uncles, aunts ECT used to take me to "darley dale station" here i would be fasinated by the steam engines. And once while i was down there there was a big double tendered apple green Locomotive sat next to the platform, the train was Flying Scotsman No 4472.
I could use this station, however i probibly would not make the station exactlly perfect.
for the Station terminous, i will look on the map!
The Railway is set in a place that is very simalar to the Derbyshire Dales, However the Surrounding towns and villages are all minning based, They were planed to be Cornish Tin mines however now i have chosen that they should be collierys because they soot the Area.
I hope this helps,

will
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Will, check out my photos of Darley Dale being restored - http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinzac55/s ... 778491878/
will derbyshire
LNER N2 0-6-2T

There are some great pictures there PinzaC55! that is the same station iam talking about without a dought!!!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Cheers! It was a real blast when we got the first train into the platform "sigh".