diagram 86/7 LNER General/Milk van

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

lnerjp
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: diagram 86/7 LNER General/Milk van

Post by lnerjp »

Ends of the van should be Black, but I belive the Solebars where brown.

J.P.
J.P. Venus
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This comes up very regularly on here and the majority opinion seems to be black if steel, body colour if not.

Either way, usually so dirty it's impossible to tell.

Edit - I meant solebars. I believe the change to black ends occurred about 1928-30 for coaches; I'm really not sure about NPCCS. Whether or not it had end doors may have a bearing.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Bill Bedford will probably know ??? I have never been convinced re Black ends . The only preserved picture I have ever seen has the ends the same as the sides. I model mine the same.

Mick
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

mick b wrote:Bill Bedford will probably know ??? I have never been convinced re Black ends . The only preserved picture I have ever seen has the ends the same as the sides. I model mine the same.
Mick
That's correct. Non corridor coaches were given black ends because the automatic carriage washers didn't reach in between the coaches. NPCS were rarely put through the washers so there was no rational for black ends.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

That's good enough for me Bill. So - black solebars, brown ends, but very filthy!

Chaz
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

My understanding is, from October 1925, non-vestibuled stock had black ends, vestibuled stock (which would include some NPCS) had body colour ends, i.e. teak for LNER carriages, ersatz teak for the others. Up until 1941 the non-vestibuled stock, if constructed from teak panelling and beading, was lined plain primrose, i.e. without the red edging to the lining, after this any lining was omitted. The solebars and wheel centres were 'teak' paint, which had a pinkish tinge.

With respect to photos of this particular vehicle, I've been through all my books (but not magazines), which I will confess are heavily biased towards the GE Area, and there might be one in the middle distance in the photo of Hull Paragon on p64, LNER 150, Whitehouse & St John Thomas. It's too small for my eyes to be certain, and not much use for your model I'm afraid.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

65447 wrote: there might be one in the middle distance in the photo of Hull Paragon on p64, LNER 150, Whitehouse & St John Thomas. It's too small for my eyes to be certain, and not much use for your model I'm afraid.
I have just had a look at my copy and I think you are right. No trace showing of the hinges etc that were very prominent on the ends of the otherwise similar CCT. The picture does confirm the unusual (?) "V" shape of the rain strips on these vans. It's a pity that there isn't a "Tatlow style" book about the NPCS.

Chaz
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

65447 wrote:My understanding is, from October 1925, non-vestibuled stock had black ends,
It is later than that, 1928 is when the first mechanical carriage washer was put in at Stratford, and the year that the brakes and liveries were simplified.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Bill Bedford wrote:It is later than that, 1928 is when the first mechanical carriage washer was put in at Stratford, and the year that the brakes and liveries were simplified.
Bill,

That's curious, since both Harris and Campling concur on 1925 as the year. Surely the absence of mechanical carriage washing facilities would make it even more useful to eliminate the necessity of cleaning varnished ends?
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Whilst I conceed that there may be some interest in whether the livery change was made in 1925 or 1928 it is of academic interest to me. The motive power for my parcels train is often a Brush Type 2, D5612!
Before someone says that the General/Milk vans had all gone before the diesels arrived I just reply..........

It's my railway!

On a slightly more serious note, I do have a few anachronisms on my railway already (a GNR horsebox in BR crimson appears from time to time), but nothing that jars and shouts "wrong" (to me) when it appears. So, no blue diesels sharing space with Atlantics. All modellers draw their own line on timespan.

Chaz
simonh
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by simonh »

Here's one at Newcastle in March 1962 - scroll down a bit and you will find it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... 1960-1980/

Cheers

Simon.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

simonh wrote:Here's one at Newcastle in March 1962 - scroll down a bit and you will find it.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... 1960-1980/
Cheers
Simon.
Thanks Simon, I had seen this pic before - it is referred to at the top of this topic, but I was pleased to be reminded of it. The condition of the van in the picture suggests that there is very little point in wondering what colour to paint it, total grime is the order of the day.
This van is part of the later batch that had a different arrangement of toplights and grills on the side.

Chaz
Eric Stuart
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Eric Stuart »

This is a useful thread on which to ask the name of a book (possibly a pair) with many photos of LNER design coaches. The format was bigger than A4 but it is no longer available at the library wher I saw it.
It included pictures of the LT&S section coaches built about 1950 to designs similar in outline to the Shenfield electric stock.
It also suggested that some of the Thompson cmpartment stock (compo with no lavatories?) was push-pull fitted.
Can anyone clarify, please?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Chaz,

For Christmas I was bought a copy of East Anglian Main Lines, a new book by John Brodribb just published by OPC. If you can get a look at a copy (it's 35 squid to buy) then check out the upper photo on p114, next to the loco...

Eric,

I think that the book you are thinking of is either Historic Carriage Drawings in 4mm Scale, Vol 1 LMS & LNER, Jenkinson and Campling, Ian Allan 1969, which was slightly longer than A4 landscape, or the more recent and expanded reprint of the LNER carriage drawings, Historic Carriage Drawings, Vol 1 LNER and Constituents, Campling, Pendragon 1997 - this was and maybe still is available from Booklaw Publications at £9-99p. There's a companion Vol 3 NPCS, Tatalow that contains a number of LNER & Constituents vehicles and is also worth having.
boeing757
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by boeing757 »

Hi,
Hope you'll forgive the re-emergence of an old thread, but only a few questions. I am building a 7mm Dia120 pigeon van. I only have a drawing(scaled up 4mm Tatlow) and one photo namely E70212 on p22 of Historic Cariage Drawings V3. Does anyone have any coach end and underframe detail they could share, also what colour is the BR lettering/numbers on a van yet to be repainted in crimson. Finally anyone know a source of axleguard/w irons suitable for this model.
Thanks as always