diagram 86/7 LNER General/Milk van

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: diagram 86/7 LNER General/Milk van

Post by chaz harrison »

I have done similar myself. Made some brake parts for a loco because I couldn't find the kit ones. Later, after I had soldered the replacement parts in place found the originals under a cutting mat.

Chaz
lnerjp
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by lnerjp »

Getting there, although might have stalled due to the fact that my local model shop has run out of P60 Phoenix Prec Paint, could anybody please inform me of a suitable Humbrol colour before the model finds it's way into "the never to be finished until I retire pile".
Attachments
Modelling 001.jpg
Modelling 002.jpg
J.P. Venus
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Halfords Triumph Russett Brown? Recommended by Peter Tatlow and did this for me:

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lnerjp

Post by lnerjp »

Thank you Jwealleans, been to Halfords this afternoon and they could'nt mix the paint because it had this highly dangerous thing called lead in it, so I've had to order it instead, from their supplyer, wil get it in a few days.

Thanks
J.P. Venus
J.P. Venus
lnerjp

Post by lnerjp »

A bit more progress, the two shades of brown are barely noticeable to the eye but look pretty awful on the picture, will check in sunlight tomorrow and apply further weathering.
V2 001.jpg
J.P. Venus
lnerjp

Post by lnerjp »

Time for a update, has it really taken me from november to get this finished :shock:
Attachments
Dia 86-1.jpg
Dia 86-2.jpg
Dia 86-3.jpg
J.P. Venus
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

Super build- the weathering is very convincing. Did you go for 'Russett Brown' in the end? Also do you have a recipie for your weathering shade?

Will
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Well, it's about time I finished my own van! I have had various other jobs on my bench - the most recent being a DJH Brush Type 2 which I fitted with a sound decoder.
Now I have a lot of parcels vans, most of which are painted in the early BR crimson. I quite fancy painting the Diag 86 van in BR bauxite, for a bit of variety. Would this be justified?

Chaz
lnerjp

Post by lnerjp »

Did you go for 'Russett Brown' in the end? Also do you have a recipie for your weathering shade?
Hi Will

Yes I did go for Russett Brown, probably the right colour but I found it very glossy and had to attack it with some fine emery. I don't have a recipie as such nowerdays as Phoenix paints have made life much simpler, the roof was painted a grey colour and then sprayed with Roof dirt, the underframe and coach ends was painted dirty black and then sprayed with Frame dirt, the body and solebars where given a wash of thined dirty black and various browns which was then wiped away with a cotton bud and then sprayed over with frame dirt and sleeper grime. It is supposed to represent late 1950's condition and I belive these vans were never re-painted since LNER days, so would have looked fairly rough by then.

Hi Chaz
I meant to ask how you where getting on in my original post, I'd love to see your van, especially as this is your post , I've just hyjacked it :wink: Of all the information I can find (which is not a lot) these vans where never repainted from LNER days, but there is always a exception and anyway it's your railway, if we stuck to everything being prototypical in O gauge even the smallest branch terminus station would take up 30ft in lenght.
J.P. Venus
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

lnerjp wrote: Hi Chaz
I meant to ask how you where getting on in my original post, I'd love to see your van, especially as this is your post , I've just hyjacked it :wink: Of all the information I can find (which is not a lot) these vans where never repainted from LNER days, but there is always a exception and anyway it's your railway, if we stuck to everything being prototypical in O gauge even the smallest branch terminus station would take up 30ft in lenght.
You're welcome. You don't own a topic, you just blow the starting whistle!
If, as you say, the vans were never repainted then I can get my desired variety by painting it LNER brown, and it will be prototypical.

Chaz
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

JP, Cheers. I use phoenix weathering colours too, but yours looked more subtle. Then it occured to me after reading your post that I was putting washes over the airbrushed frame dirt, rather than using the spray finish to unify the washes- d'oh!

Will
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

jwealleans wrote:Halfords Triumph Russett Brown
I take it this is available in a spray can, Yes?

Chaz
PS nice finish on that 6 wheeler but (if you don't mind me saying) far too clean. Did anyone ever clean parcels vans?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

this is available in a spray can
It was last year from Halfords.
far too clean
Ex-works photo. In fact it's still like that, but it's in the queue for weathering. I tend to leave vehicles a few weeks, even months, before weathering then do a batch all together.
lnerjp

Post by lnerjp »

Chaz

It's not cheap about £12 if I remeber correctly, but one can will go a long way, you are quite welcome to borrow mine, I'm sure I could post it out to you.
J.P. Venus
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

lnerjp wrote:Chaz

It's not cheap about £12 if I remeber correctly, but one can will go a long way, you are quite welcome to borrow mine, I'm sure I could post it out to you.
That's a very generous offer JP. I will send you a PM with my address. I would not want to buy a can at that price as I doubt whether I would use it on more than just this one model. Best thing for me would be the motivation to get on with it!

I am assuming that the LNER would have painted the ends of the vans brown, not black. Anybody able to confirm this?

Jwealleans - I know all about weathering stock some time after painting. I have a Gresley 4 wheel pigeon van on my bench which is getting its dirt this week - its been in service for 18 months. Still it does give the paint a chance to harden off!

Chaz